Cheapest Way to Test t mobile?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I have an old VZW Note 3 would that work on tmobile? If not (and I suspect not) then what would be the least costly way to test one of their phones for 10 days? I'd like to test for a month to be fair but then I'm stuck with their phone. I think they have a huge restocking fee. Just wondered if any way to give it a test then if good buy one of their good phones.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Personally I bought a prepaid SIM from Walmart 2 years ago to test, $30 for a plan and I used my current Verizon phone.

Since that won't work with your current phone, I would suggest talking with T-mobile. Find out what there terms are if you aren't happy with their service.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I did. Repeatedly. They didn't recommend it. Only solution was buy and return phone by mail. I have read horror stories about folks returning phones only to be billed for them in full. I asked if I could return to the store and the answer was an emphatic NO!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What's your budget? If you're a Costco member, how about getting a Moto G6 (currently $239 on Costco.com), which should work fine on T-Mobile. If it doesn't work out, you can return the phone to Costco within 90 days, without a restocking fee. Or you can keep the phone as a backup, if you'd prefer to get a flagship somewhere else.

They also have the LG K30 for $169, although the specs are far inferior to the G6.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Not a Costco member. I don't shop enough to make it worthwhile. I'd prefer a used tmobile LG V20 for about the same price but then I couldn't return it so your idea is better. Thr thing is tmobile locks every phone on their network and if not a tmobile phone they won't unlock it when you leave! Crazy I know but there are threads about it. I bet Costco wouldn't be happy with a locked phone back.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Wait, are you saying that if you bring an unlocked, non-T-Mobile branded phone to T-Mobile, they lock it to their network once you insert their SIM? That doesn't seem right to me. It certainly shouldn't happen if it were, let's say, a Pixel phone.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, I see all of the threads about iPhones, but couldn't find anything about other phones. I wonder if it's something that happens (either intentionally or unintentionally) with iPhones only?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Did a little more digging -- it looks like it might be due to Apple's Reseller Flex Policy: https://support.t-mobile.com/thread/146043. Lots of threads about that in the Apple support forums.
Well that's the question. I wouldn't want to get the answer the hard way so I wonder if it is only Apples that get locked. I doubt it but anything is possible.

The issue that disturbs me is it clearly says in tmobile policies they will ONLY unlock tmobile phones so if they DO lock your unlocked Android phone puchased elsewhere
you're screwed.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Well if I ever leave T-Mobile and take my Pixel 2 XL anywhere else, I'll let you know how it goes!;)

garen

Jul 4, 2017
Visit site
Currently I have all three carriers (T-Mobile, Verizon and AT&T) I swap Sims regularly on my unlock S9, Note9, MotoX4, PH-1 Essential, iPhone XR and iPhone XS with no problem. I only buy unlocked phones. They have never been locked after inserting T-Mobile SIM.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm shocked the iPhone never locked. Many have reported it. Even Apple Store Rep warned me about it Did you first use the iPhone with VZW?

garen

Jul 4, 2017
Visit site
I'm shocked the iPhone never locked. Many have reported it. Even Apple Store Rep warned me about it Did you first use the iPhone with VZW?
The 10R was used with TMobile first but my old 6splus was used with Verizon first. My SE was also used with TMobile first and currently is on AT&T. BTW I have been with TMobile for almost 14 years even when I leased the X, 7+ and 8+ simple phone call unlocked it for me even though it was only on their Network less than 10 days.