SIM card not detected

wetermommy

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Why is this all of a sudden happening multiple times a day? I've reset phone. Didn't help! Should I take the phone in?

wetermommy

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Went to at&t to have sim card replaced. They did warn me that it might not solve the issue and if it happens again they will replace the phone since its less than a yr old. Fingers crossed new card solves the problem.

Posted via Android Central App

mobilecrackers

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Went to at&t to have sim card replaced. They did warn me that it might not solve the issue and if it happens again they will replace the phone since its less than a yr old. Fingers crossed new card solves the problem.

no need replace your phone,
this may help
go to recovery clear cache then data, to backup your data use helium app or,
update your phone using kies if it didn't help
re-flash using odin

wetermommy

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I just took phone in and the guy told me I need to (yet again) factory reset but this time not download ANY third party apps! Only use what is on the phone bc problem is due to one of the 3rd party apps on my phone. Keep it completely basic! If I wanted a basic unpersonalized phone I'd go back to an iPhone!

shamelin73

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I has this issue an phone went to Samsung 3 times and then AT&T had to send me another phone after the third one from Samsung wouldn't sim unlock.

Good luck with your issue. Search my name as I had a thread here and over at XDA.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

PhoebeBates

May 6, 2014
Visit site
(AT&T Device Support Center, somewhere south of Denver, Salt Lake and San Francisco, and west of El Paso and Denver...)

My phone did that twice last night. Since my 1 year warranty doesn't expire until next week, they were happy to replace my phone today (Monday morning). I prefer it, since I now get an extra 11 weeks of warranty and updated firmware. Display is more clear, font on lock screen is different.

They said they had a few of these in yesterday, and suspect it has something to do with software upgrades. At least at my DSC, there were no questions about warranty replacements.

Roaddawg223

May 9, 2014
Visit site
Mine did this to me for the first time yesterday. Hopefully it was just a glitch..

I ran into this issue A LOT with my S3 back in the day....

phred2w

May 16, 2014
Visit site
My phone started doing that, I had the sim card replaced and it kept doing it, I turned the phone off for about half an hour and restarted it and the problem went away, hasn't come back once
not sure how long it had to stay off but it was an inexpensive thing to try

Kellie Elmore

Jun 28, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys. *I'm in a galaxy s4 and having same issue. *Message is "Cannot detect sim card. Restart."

After trying many things I factory reset and logged into Google play by creating a brand new account and did not select gps on option via google. So far I've had several hours of uninterrupted use. But I'm not convinced just yet as other attempts gave me false hope as well.

I will say that I've been able to download apps and play games etc without triggering the error which has happened the other times.

One last thing. .. The error did not begin on my phone until my carrier had me run the software update.

So is it Google or the update? I really hope to find answers as this is an ongoing issue with multiple phones and carriers. The various phones imply google as the culprit. Do a search for sim card error and you're flooded with people everywhere having this problem. And Google isn't doing anything.

mudbone9

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Tried everything to fix this problem. From two factory resets, two new SIM cards to even having Best Buy reflash my phone. Nothing worked and it got worse. I am a programmer and I couldn't believe it was a hardware issue but it was. Thankfully this was easy to fix. Buy a new Sim card holder for your S4 on Amazon (make sure its for your carrier and model, mine was an At&t SGH-I337). I picked one up for $5.99 ship/tax included! Nine screws, one connector plug and old holder comes out. Its held down with two sided tape. Extremely easy to do with just a small screw driver, kitchen knife and a blow dryer to heat up the tape. Wish I had known earlier because I cancelled my contract and got the S5. However after I fixed my phone I sold it to its-worth-more for $165:) DONT USE THE INSURANCE TO FIX THE SIM CARD NOT FOUND ERROR! It's easy and cheap to fix it yourself.

Last edited:

mudbone9

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Replace the SIM card holder. Believe me I tried everything software wise to fix this error including relacing the SIM card twice. It is a hardware issue not a virus or software problem. I purchased a new holder from Amazon for $5.99 ship/tax included. Very cheap and easy to fix. There are videos online that show you how to change it. Nine screws, snap the back off the phone, disconnect one connector, heat up the two sided tape holding the holder down with a blow dryer then lift it off with a kitchen knife. Took me less than 10 minutes to remove and replace it. At&t wanted $199.00 using the insurance to replace it with a refurbished S4 which I've heard some people having it happen again. When purchasing it make sure the SIM card matches your carrier and phone model. Mine was an At&t SGH-I337.