Gingerbread update is coming!!

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I have problems with skype too. No front camera. I'm using Tango now and love it. There are a couple of others, as well. Would switching to one of those help at all?

Reactions: Randall@Tango

Goneeuro

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Tamelion: do you have anything installed that may let Skype run or is it just working for you. Did you install Skype through the market or did you use the froyo version that floating around the web. I tried the hacked version that supposed to make it work but I never could figure it out. Thanks.

ryandinan#AC

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
In order to use the front camera you do :)

Sent from my SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

Nope... running stock 2.2, and the front camera works fine. I had to go into the Skype settings, and check a little box that allowed the camera functionality, even though my device "wasn't on the list" of approved devices. I didn't have any issue with it...

tamelion1117

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Tamelion: do you have anything installed that may let Skype run or is it just working for you. Did you install Skype through the market or did you use the froyo version that floating around the web. I tried the hacked version that supposed to make it work but I never could figure it out. Thanks.
I don't have anything installed that would make it work. also,I had it installed before I rooted my phone, and it worked and it still works now after the root. I installed it from the market. if you haven't already, try this: in Skype - menu/settings/enable video.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

mariusvt

May 21, 2011
Visit site
It wouldn't surprise me if we saw GB soon or never see an update for our phones. Neither option would be out of the realm of possibilities the way things are going. You'd think they would have updated newer phones first, instead of the old ones that have less to gain.

ldpalm

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
Gingerbread is everywhere except on our AT&T Samsung Infuses! We are never gonna see it, and now everyone asking about Ice Cream Sandwiches! If you have the Infuse and want Ice Cream or Gingerbread I suggest we all go buy some at the grocery store, cause we'll never see it. I wonder if AT& T or Samsung ever check the forums to see what their customers talk about?

mbnocx

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
I requested a status update from AT&T the other day and they gave me the same line that we all heard in August, that there was no status update at this time. I am happy with my rooted phone with the Infused ROM installed. Although there are probably a few things that would be corrected with the official GB update.

reefrunway

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Even I have given up hope. I might root this weekend, I might not.

I've been rooted for a while, but I did it for reasons other than wanting to instal custom ROMs. In my opinion, the drawbacks to each of the GB custom ROMS that available outweigh the benefits. I am waiting for an official release, but I do know that I may be waiting for a while. I've come to terms with that :'( and just made up my mind to steer clear of a Samsung handset the next time I upgrade. Will go with HTC or Motorola (now Google).

And Terrigno... Hey, what's up, man? You bailed on the Infuse??? :eek:

mbnocx

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Samsung has already put GB on the Infuse (with Rogers). To me this issue is purely because of AT&T. It is not the first time they are late to the party with a software update and in the past it had to do with BlackBerry's (non-Samsung devices). Just my opinion but this definitely seems like an AT&T failure, not Samsung.

reefrunway

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Samsung has already put GB on the Infuse (with Rogers). To me this issue is purely because of AT&T. It is not the first time they are late to the party with a software update and in the past it had to do with BlackBerry's (non-Samsung devices). Just my opinion but this definitely seems like an AT&T failure, not Samsung.

Super good point! I think you are probably right.

JakeRoux

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
REJOICE! REJOICE! REJOICE!

If this official AT&T Presse Release, dug up from July of this year, is to be believed, we have at the most 45 more days until our Gingerbread update. I know I'll be holding my breath waiting....

AT&T confirms Gingerbread coming to entire 2011 Android lineup (and Samsung Captivate) -- Engadget

Android 2.3 Debuted in the AT&T Portfolio with HTC Status, All Post-paid Android Smartphones Released in 2011 Planned to Receive 2.3 Upgrade

DALLAS, July 25, 2011 /PRNewswire/ --

Key Facts

AT&T* confirmed that upgrades to the Android™ 2.3 (Gingerbread) platform are planned for all post-paid Android smartphones already introduced this year.
Motorola ATRIX™ 4G users will receive an update to Android 2.3 beginning today and HTC Inspire™ 4G users will receive the update in the coming weeks.
Motorola ATRIX 4G update will also provide the ability to download applications from third-party stores.
HTC Status™ arrived in stores July 17, the first AT&T smartphone running Android 2.3.

Upgrade Details

Customers who purchased an Android smartphone from AT&T introduced in 2011 can expect to receive an update to Android 2.3. All of these devices are planned to be upgraded from Android 2.2 to Android 2.3, also referred to as Gingerbread. In addition, Samsung Captivate™ owners will be able to upgrade to Gingerbread.

Delivery methods will vary by device. Whenever possible, upgrades are delivered over-the-air (OTA), however in some cases the size of the file needed to install the update will require the user to connect via Wi-Fi or connect the phone to a PC to install the update. Factors such as manufacturer-defined software and other device performance improvements result in each device requiring a separate update which will vary in timing.

Beginning today and continuing over the next few weeks, Motorola ATRIX 4G users will be prompted to install the update. To download the update, users must be connected via Wi-Fi. In August, HTC Inspire 4G users will be notified that the update is available and can be downloaded when connected to a Wi-Fi network. AT&T smartphone users can access at any one of the company's more than 26,000 Wi-Fi hotspots at no cost.

The AT&T smartphones planned for a Gingerbread update are:

HTC Inspire™ 4G
LG Phoenix™
Motorola ATRIX™ 4G
Pantech Crossover™
Samsung Captivate™ 4G
Samsung Infuse™ 4G

Android 2.3 (Gingerbread)

Gingerbread delivers a number of improvements, such as user interface refinements, refined copy/paste functionality and speed enhancements. The upgrade offers improved power management that offers a more active role in managing applications in addition to an improved on-screen keyboard with multi-touch support that makes typing faster and more accurate

Reactions: ramnath82

reefrunway

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Time will tell. I'm hopeful but not planning on it. I think some operative words in here are "expect to receive" and "planned."

If I sound jaded, I am. The August Infuse/Inspire mix-up/false alarm put me through the wringer, LOL! :(

Software Guy

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I've been rooted for a while, but I did it for reasons other than wanting to instal custom ROMs. In my opinion, the drawbacks to each of the GB custom ROMS that available outweigh the benefits. I am waiting for an official release, but I do know that I may be waiting for a while. I've come to terms with that :'( and just made up my mind to steer clear of a Samsung handset the next time I upgrade. Will go with HTC or Motorola (now Google).

And Terrigno... Hey, what's up, man? You bailed on the Infuse??? :eek:

It took me less than 2 weeks to jailbreak my iphone.months and I still have not rooted my infuse. Go figure.

For all of the reasons I've seen people go back to Apple or stay with them, I have left. iOS may be more polished looking but thats as far as it goes! I've been to busy preparing my new office so we can move next week so I haven't rooted yet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38