The new Samsung Infuse

netposer

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Since Samsung/ATT don't seem interested in updating the Captivate to 2.2 I might return my Captivate. I have until Jan. 20.

There are a couple of things that bother me about the Captivate.

The GPS and the USB port.

My GPS works most of the time but sometimes it fails to "lock" in right away and it has a knack for losing GPS signal when I'm just walking.

The Micro USB port is probably the worst thing about the phone. It's on top and it's the most difficult port to plug in on any phone I've ever owned. And most of the time the USB cable just falls out of the phone with slight movement. Some cables are worse than others. But those same cables fit perfect on my BB Torch and never fall out.

So in a couple of weeks I will see if the Infuse is weeks or months away. If it's weeks away I might return the Captivate for the above reasons and wait for the Infuse. If the Infuse is months off then it's going to be a much harder decision.

So any advice would be nice.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Make sure you have the dust cover COMPLETELY open before plugging in the cable... loose cables are usually because the dust cover is slightly opened, getting in the way of the plastic around the USB plug, causing it to not engage properly. All the way open on that thing, not even a little slid closed.

GPS is hit or miss depending on the device and software load... if you are under your 30 day limit, take it back and have them swap it until you get one that stays locked. Most of them are at least decent enough at it.

If you have no intention of rooting your phone, I would definitely get the GPS situation resolved inside your return window. If you are going to root it, a custom ROM would solve your 2.2 issue and probably GPS too. If not, no hassle... just get a working GPS on the stock load inside your return time.

netposer

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Make sure you have the dust cover COMPLETELY open before plugging in the cable... loose cables are usually because the dust cover is slightly opened, getting in the way of the plastic around the USB plug, causing it to not engage properly. All the way open on that thing, not even a little slid closed.

GPS is hit or miss depending on the device and software load... if you are under your 30 day limit, take it back and have them swap it until you get one that stays locked. Most of them are at least decent enough at it.

If you have no intention of rooting your phone, I would definitely get the GPS situation resolved inside your return window. If you are going to root it, a custom ROM would solve your 2.2 issue and probably GPS too. If not, no hassle... just get a working GPS on the stock load inside your return time.

The dust cover is not interfering with the USB cable. It's just a bad design the way it has sharp edges that allow the end of the cable to get stuck. It's almost like they need to provide a "funnel" type recess to you can easily get the cable connected.

I might give ATT a call next week and see about getting another device that has a working GPS. (or at least a more consistent one)

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
While the micro USB isn't the easiest connection to use mine never falls out. On the dustcover make sure it is completely open as there is a last click that still needs to be pushed open even though you can plug in the micro USB with the dustcover not completely open, that's when the micro USB usually falls out. When the dustcover is completely open the only exposed part of it is the lip you use to open & close it, none of the cover itself is exposed.

The reason I'm mentioning this to you a second time is I didn't realize when I slid the dustcover open there was a last click to open it completely. I thought I did have it open completely and the micro USB frequently came detached.

netposer

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
While the micro USB isn't the easiest connection to use mine never falls out. On the dustcover make sure it is completely open as there is a last click that still needs to be pushed open even though you can plug in the micro USB with the dustcover not completely open, that's when the micro USB usually falls out. When the dustcover is completely open the only exposed part of it is the lip you use to open & close it, none of the cover itself is exposed.

The reason I'm mentioning this to you a second time is I didn't realize when I slid the dustcover open there was a last click to open it completely. I thought I did have it open completely and the micro USB frequently came detached.

Nothing is preventing a good connection. It would be obvious if the dust cover was blocking a snug fit. It's not rocket science to plug in a MicroUSB cable.

I'm striking this up to poor engineering. The put the dust cover on there because the port is open around the edges and that's what 'catches' the edges of the cable and makes it a bit tricky to get the cabling inserted. I could plug in my Torch in the dark first try but the Captivate makes it very hard.

I will probably return this one for a new one since the GPS is hit and miss.

GQ50

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site

^^I know what you mean. The door has a little lever on top that if you don't push it open that it sits flush against the side your plug will not seat correctly with the connection in the phone. Went thru that the first time I charged the phone with my car charger...LOL, I do luv the door for the micro port though...

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Since Samsung/ATT don't seem interested in updating the Captivate to 2.2 I might return my Captivate.

If Samsung hasn't been good about updating the Galaxy S phones, then what makes you think the Infuse will be any different? What makes you think you won't be sitting around with an Infuse at some point, waiting to see if it'll ever get the latest version of Android? If I'm remembering correctly, Samsung has historically been poor about updating their phones.

netposer

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
If Samsung hasn't been good about updating the Galaxy S phones, then what makes you think the Infuse will be any different? What makes you think you won't be sitting around with an Infuse at some point, waiting to see if it'll ever get the latest version of Android? If I'm remembering correctly, Samsung has historically been poor about updating their phones.

Good point. Maybe since ATT is losing the iPhone exclusive then there will be more Android choices. I bet the Atrix from Motorola will be a good choice.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Anyway since we're talking about the Infuse and not the Captivate let's get back on topic please. SAMOLED+ should be a good display. The thinness should make up for the ginormous screen size IMO and if I was already on AT&T with the unlimited data plan grandfathered for me I would consider this phone (maybe even over the Atrix, but the display would have to be amazing).

I agree that Samsung has a poor track record with updates, but Motorola isn't much better if the phone isn't on Verizon.

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
"I agree that Samsung has a poor track record with updates, but Motorola isn't much better if the phone isn't on Verizon." by iamlilysdad

I agree with you there. I'm disapointed in sammy and sprint with 2.2 . This phone looks nice.

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I'd be willing to deal with being an update or two behind. You can't change the hardware of your phone, especially not to anything close to a 4.5" screen with a superamoled+, which Samsung is hogging to itself. But you can usually change the software, with a few hiccups or two, with a custom rom with touchwiz removed and speed tweaks. Since I doubt there will be ten different versions of this like the Galaxy S, the modding effort would probably be more consolidated and better. The previous GPS problems were supposedly due to a new chip and I don't think Samsung is gonna repeat the same mistake since competition is even more fierce this time around, and this phone is behind, spec-wise, not top-dog anymore.

Wishful thinking, all of it. :D Watch, they'll release the same phone with dual-core, NFC, 1900mah battery, 10 megapixel camera, Honeycomb, and a sexy deep blue color at MWC. This nightmare will never end.

mc511

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
I am also looking at this phone. I like the screen size and cpu looks to be good. Just hope the battery is bigger than the HTC's which isnt that big at all. And att doesnt have a product page for it like the inspire or atrix so i can imagine this launching at the earliest march but i could be wrong. Its on the site as one of the android devices that is coming to the 4g network. Or hspa+

EDIT: Sorry but i just saw that it should be out by second quarter this year. Soo April, May or June.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I am also looking at this phone. I like the screen size and cpu looks to be good. Just hope the battery is bigger than the HTC's which isnt that big at all. And att doesnt have a product page for it like the inspire or atrix so i can imagine this launching at the earliest march but i could be wrong. Its on the site as one of the android devices that is coming to the 4g network. Or hspa+

EDIT: Sorry but i just saw that it should be out by second quarter this year. Soo April, May or June.

Don't get your hopes up. It will probably have the same 1500mah battery as the Galaxy S. Most of the new phones at CES had 1500mah batteries as well, except for the Motorola Atrx and Bionic, which are much thicker looking but have a 1920mah battery.

LiquidAppo

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
I have a launch week Captivate, and another upgrade in August. As great as my Captivate is after tons of hacking, I can't bring myself to give Samsung a third chance. Hopefully a big screened, dual core dual camera HTC device with a large, high res screen will be out by then.

mc511

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
Don't get your hopes up. It will probably have the same 1500mah battery as the Galaxy S. Most of the new phones at CES had 1500mah batteries as well, except for the Motorola Atrx and Bionic, which are much thicker looking but have a 1920mah battery.

I read actually that it will have the bigger battery. Not as big as the moto but still bigger than HTC. Plus 1500mah is still better than what htc is putting in there. I am waiting on reviews.

HTC Inspire 4G vs Samsung Infuse 4G vs Motorola ATRIX 4G: specs comparison - Phone Arena

Last edited:

simulator

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
It isn't samsung that's the problem with 2.2, its AT&T. Proven by the fact its out north of the border and still not on AT&T. They have amazing crapware add ons that slows down the roll out.

Addie_Goodvibes

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I too have had USB cable issues with my 1st Samsung Epic Purchased at Launch, The USB cable would fall out while charging over night or wasn't completely connected, i used my palm Pre USB cable and it fit snugly.

I replaced that Epic after 2 weeks, the replacement Epic which i still have is better the USb cable although not as snug a fit as i would like stays in better.

I still perferrable use my palm pre USB cable when charging & only use the Stock Android/micro USB when mounting my phone for Flashing Custom ROMS ( seems to only work with stock usb cable)