Going from Sprint to AT&T with Unlocked Phone

Equark

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I just received my Xperia Z1 (C6906) and am pondering how best to approach switching to ATT. I intend to keep the same number I have now with Sprint.

Ive read through some posts that suggest buying an Iphone 5s selling it and then activating my Z1. Has anyone been in a similar situation where you purchased an unlocked phone to bring to the network? Ive been on Sprint for the last 12 years so no experience switching carriers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Re: Going from Sprint to ATT with Unlocked Phone

It shouldn't be a problem at all for AT&T as they're busy activating a bunch of Nexus 5's (which they don't sell) as you read this. I just, this past Wednesday bought a Sprint Nexus 5 and then marched it right over to AT&T where they, without question, gave me a SIM and activated it on my existing line. So, my thoughts are that as long as the phone can handle AT&T network AT&T's network will handle the phone.

mr.wizard

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site

I just received my Xperia Z1 (C6906) and am pondering how best to approach switching to ATT. I intend to keep the same number I have now with Sprint.

Ive read through some posts that suggest buying an Iphone 5s selling it and then activating my Z1. Has anyone been in a similar situation where you purchased an unlocked phone to bring to the network? Ive been on Sprint for the last 12 years so no experience switching carriers.

If you're looking to make some extra money, that's not a bad way to go. You won't be able to unlock the iPhone right away, but you'd make a decent penny anyways.

And as long as the Z1 is unlocked, and has the right radio, AT&T will let you switch devices anytime

Posted via Android Central App

Equark

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for the responses. I would have opted for the easier route but if it helps me cover a portion of the cost on this unlocked phone that is a plus!

gpdaddy95

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

I got a Nexus 5 in January. I was on Sprint for about 6 years. I used the N5 on Sprint for the month and love the phone. Bear in mind that I bought the N5 because it has the antennas for Sprint, AT&T and T-Mobile and I want to check all three in my area and then sign on with the best of the three. Frankly, Sprint reception leaves a lot to be desired in my area. The idea is to use AT&T and T-mob for a month each on a no contract plan, while keeping my phone number. After two days, one thing is abundantly clear: I'm not going back to Sprint. I've gone from spotty 3G reception to 4G LTE and the LTE speeds are typically 4-6 times faster. The monthly cost is going to be about 20% cheaper.

To answer your question more directly, make sure that the phone you get for the new service is compatible and that the antennas support the frequencies/channels you need for 3G and 4G. The rest is easy. The phone stores change you over in a matter of about 10 minutes and you keep your phone number. There's nothing to worry about. It's really pretty easy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sanidnb