Thank you for the new Mobile Share Value plans

Only1Z

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I wanted to say thanks to AT&T for creating these plans for those of us that prefer the European model of separating the plan from the phone. A big shout out to T-Mobile for pushing the industry towards this model. I have finally dumped my grandfathered unlimited data with AT&T as it was no longer worth keeping (they throttled it anyway if you were a heavy user). My wife and I now share 2GB of data and have unlimited talk and text for $105 per month. And factoring in my corporate discount of 24%, it is now just under $92 per month. I'm happy that I finally feel like this is a fair price since we provide our own phones. Also a big thanks to Google for the Nexus products. Regardless of whether you like iOS, Windows Phone, or Android best, you cannot argue a better value at $350 for a wonderful unlocked phone. Again, these types of things all help to push the industry towards change and it's working! There is still a lot of work to be done in the mobile sector but at least things are trending in the right direction.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

vividrich

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
My wife and I have been on the mobile share plans for awhile. My contract is up in July. Am I correct saying that at that time I'll begin receiving the $15 discount automatically?

Posted from my Nexus 7 2013 via Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'd have to say no thanks AT&T for the mobile share plans... I'd rather not share and also would rather no limits :).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I'd have to say no thanks AT&T for the mobile share plans... I'd rather not share and also would rather no limits :).

But the fact still remains. Unlimited data or good coverage. Unless you are one of the few lucky ones that have it grandfathered in. But your in a good tmo coverage area where most are not sadly. So choices are limited. :p

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
But the fact still remains. Unlimited data or good coverage. Unless you are one of the few lucky ones that have it grandfathered in. But your in a good tmo coverage area where most are not sadly. So choices are limited. :p

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I was one of those lucky few with an unlimited plan from them.... but AT&T still puts limits on it. After 5GB you go to edge speeds... So It wasn't really unlimited anymore :(.

phlamethrowre

Banned
Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I was one of those lucky few with an unlimited plan from them.... but AT&T still puts limits on it. After 5GB you go to edge speeds... So It wasn't really unlimited anymore :(.

I have 2 unlimited data plans on my at&t account. They throttle your speed after 4gb on an LTE plan and 3gb on a non LTE. I'm changing to 10gb mobile share plan on Jan 1st. The reason I'm changing over is because the one data plan on my account that is not unlimited is the one that uses the most data. I'll be paying the same amount and the device that uses more data will have access to it.

Sent from my LG-D800 using AC Forums mobile app

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I have 2 unlimited data plans on my at&t account. They throttle your speed after 4gb on an LTE plan and 3gb on a non LTE. I'm changing to 10gb mobile share plan on Jan 1st. The reason I'm changing over is because the one data plan on my account that is not unlimited is the one that uses the most data. I'll be paying the same amount and the device that uses more data will have access to it.

Sounds like a win win to me! Same price and more data.

phlamethrowre

Banned
Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like a win win to me! Same price and more data.

Yep. My wife and I have the old unlimited plans but we don't use that much data. My 19 year old has a 3gb plan for $30 that she goes over every month so I end up paying an extra $10 for her plan which brings my total for data to $100. The same price as the 10gb plan. I've been holding onto those unlimited plan like they were actually worth something. In the end, its just a word on your statement.

phlamethrowre

Banned
Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I've had the same cell phone number since 1996. It's the only one I've ever had and probably the only one I'll ever have.

phlamethrowre

Banned
Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Anyway, those old cell plans that are based on voice minutes are going away. Measured data with unlimited talk and text are the plans of the future. It's better to get on one early before the rates go up. Voice minute plans and subsidized phone are going away.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Anyway, those old cell plans that are based on voice minutes are going away. Measured data with unlimited talk and text are the plans of the future. It's better to get on one early before the rates go up. Voice minute plans and subsidized phone are going away.
Verizon has never discontinued a grandfathered plan ever. There are people who still have the ridiculously cheap alltel plans. As long as you don't make any changes to the plan, Verizon lets you keep your plan.

- - - Updated - - -

I've had the same cell phone number since 1996. It's the only one I've ever had and probably the only one I'll ever have.
Then tell your daughter to get her own plan, lol!

phlamethrowre

Banned
Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Verizon has never discontinued a grandfathered plan ever. There are people who still have the ridiculously cheap alltel plans. As long as you don't make any changes to the plan, Verizon lets you keep your plan.

- - - Updated - - -

Then tell your daughter to get her own plan, lol!

At&t let's you keep your old plan too, if you like. I held on to my old Bellsouth Mobility plan as long as I could but it eventually no longer served my purposes.I ended up with more lines on my account and more need for data. So I moved on.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
At&t let's you keep your old plan too, if you like. I held on to my old Bellsouth Mobility plan as long as I could but it eventually no longer served my purposes.I ended up with more lines on my account and more need for data. So I moved on.
The reason I am hanging onto my Verizon truly unthrottled, unlimited data plan is because I don't know what my future needs are going to be but everything I see indicates to me, my future needs are going to use a lot of data.

The carriers know that, too, that is why they are giving away talk and text and putting a premium on data. They haven't tricked me into giving up my UDP, though because the writing on the wall is very clear when it comes to the value of mobile data.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The reason I am hanging onto my Verizon truly unthrottled, unlimited data plan is because I don't know what my future needs are going to be but everything I see indicates to me, my future needs are going to use a lot of data.

The carriers know that, too, that is why they are giving away talk and text and putting a premium on data. They haven't tricked me into giving up my UDP, though because the writing on the wall is very clear when it comes to the value of mobile data.

I already use a lot so that's why I went to T-Mobile for unlimited unthrottled data as well :).

And I agree the future will just cause people to use more since phones are being able to do more and more.

phlamethrowre

Banned
Dec 26, 2013
Visit site

Expect Verizon to nix the UDP before too long.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57...-unlimited-data-plans-just-arent-sustainable/

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Expect Verizon to nix the UDP before too long.
People have been saying that for awhile now and it hasn't happened.

Verizon's plan to date has been to entice people off by offering 6GB for the price of 2GB and subsidized phones if you will give up your unlimited data plan on your own. Enough people are doing it that there are going to be very few UDP users soon enough. And we won't be a problem to the network in such small numbers.