Enhanced Calling Features

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
Factory unlocked devices appear to be getting less support with AT&T blocking access to WiFi calling and VoLTE unless you’re using AT&T sold and locked approved devices.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Of course - they don't make any money when you buy an unbranded phone. Ask your local store where the nearest Device Support Center is. Go there and ask if they'll help you, if you have any specific issues. (They're basically the "out there in the world" end of the tech support department.)

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
Of course - they don't make any money when you buy an unbranded phone. Ask your local store where the nearest Device Support Center is. Go there and ask if they'll help you, if you have any specific issues. (They're basically the "out there in the world" end of the tech support department.)

I know as I’ve gone back to purchasing carrier locked devices but even with AT&T locked devices, not all devices are supported. I was already missing the WiFi calling on carrier locked BBMo KEYone and with the upgrade to Oreo, AT&T took away VoLTE as well. So first is factory unlocked losing enhanced service access but now, only certain brands will be supported even carrier locked? That doesn’t make sense....

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
The only non AT&T Android device that I've been able to use WiFi calling and VoLTE on is a T-Mobile unlocked Note 8 running Oreo. When I insert an AT&T sim in that phone, the phone reboots, loads up with the AT&T logo as if it were an AT&T branded phone and then basically loads the AT&T firmware including the AT&T bloat. WiFi calling and VoLTE then work on that phone.

WiFi calling and VoLTE will always work on any factory unlocked or carrier unlocked iPhone so it's just Android devices that are prevented from using these features.

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
It seems that carriers are using Enhanced Calling Features to encourage customers to purchase certain phone brands even within the Android ecosystem.