10 day review

subguy812

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
I'm eyeing that S24U as well ...BUT I don't have anything to trade in so will make it less likely for me ..
I was in that boat and paid for the Fold. So not sure what I will do. I will at least look at the S24U, but it doesn't make sense, it is a want and certainly not a need. If the camera gets a major lift, maybe. I don't find myself using half of the features that are baked in to Sam. I always say I will, but if I haven't missed them thus far, probably not.

Pixel is simple, great AI , camera, translation throughout, good text and call screening features. If I needed routines I would attempt to maximize Assistant. To me the S-Pen is nice to have, but it is rarely used, even at work. I could most definitely use it more.

Maybe I am at the end of my life cycle of buying both each year?? Thank God I have curbed my addiction from buying the TOTL Moto, OnePlus and so on and limited myself to Sammy and Google. I think this years Pixel makes the decision more difficult.

Last edited:

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
I was in that boat and paid for the Fold. So not sure what I will do. I will at least look at the S24U, but it doesn't make sense, it is a want and certainly not a need. If the camera gets a major lift, maybe. I don't find myself using half of the features that are baked in to Sam. I always say I will, but if I haven't missed them thus far, probably not.

Pixel is simple, great AI , camera, translation throughout, good text and call screening features. If I needed routines I would attempt to maximize Assistant. To me the S-Pen is nice to have, but it is rarely used, even at work. I could most definitely use it more.

Maybe I am at the end of my life cycle of buying both each year?? Thank God I have curbed my addiction from buying the TOTL Moto, OnePlus and so on and limited myself to Sammy and Google. I think this years Pixel makes the decision more difficult.
Yup yup...P8P is definitely a keeper for me and ticks all the boxes ..and I'd rather have the foldable as the second phone ...so if anything see where Samsung is on Fold 6 or if Google ups on the PF2 ...

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
I'm keeping my P8P, but also keeping my S23 Ultra. Both have their pros and cons. Hopefully, Google will push some updates soon that will take care of the few issues I've encountered on the P8P. My S23 Ultra has been flawless.
I loved my S23 U... If it wasn't because of the issue I had with the phone being locked out.. probably still have that phone today.. Right now it's sitting in my drawer with a message unable to unlock my phone lmao..

lmandl

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Another P8P return here. I'm not dissatisfied with the phone. I just don't like it as much as my S23U and with the S24U right around the corner, it doesn't make sense to keep it.

I gave it 10 days and here are my thoughts. I LOVE THE CAMERA. As a loyal Samsung Knight, I admit the P8P is better in everything except zoom, IMO. Some night shots came out better with the S23 too. I like the AI features. They're really good! I didn't try everything, but I can't miss what I never had. The S24 is rumored to have more AI features. Some of the photo fun stuff may eventually come in Google 1, and I read the Pixel wont have everything until Dec. anyway. We'll see. I love the flat screen. I'm so tired of Samsung's curves. The haptic feedback is awesome. I've tweaked the settings on my S23U to duplicate them. I love the hardware. Imo, the device is better looking than the S23U. That porcelain color and the camera bar does me in. So nice. The P8P gives me all day batter power also. I had no issues with connectivity or anything.

S23U wins because of the SPen and Routines. I can't do without those 2 features. Unless/until someone comes with a worthy duplication, I'm betrothed to Samsung. The camera is good enough, the AI features I use are good enough, the hardware is good enough, but the SPen (with all its features) and Routines are THE.BEST!

Bottom line, I'm glad I tried the Pixel. It's a great device and I have nothing bad to say about it. I really thought hard about keeping it, but it just doesn't make sense for me. And I absolutely abhor the PW2. Lol! It's attractive, just small imo. I like Samsung Health better than Fitbit, for the most part.

Thanks for letting me hang out with yall. I'll see most of you in Jan/Feb for S24U.

Xoxo
I upgraded to the P8P from the S22 Ultra. My 1st Pixel phone! I hardly used the Spen so I won't/haven't missed it. I however chose to keep my newly purchased Samsung Watch 6 classic instead of going with the Pixel watch so I just downloaded the Samsung Health app onto the P8P. It works flawlessly!

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I upgraded to the P8P from the S22 Ultra. My 1st Pixel phone! I hardly used the Spen so I won't/haven't missed it. I however chose to keep my newly purchased Samsung Watch 6 classic instead of going with the Pixel watch so I just downloaded the Samsung Health app onto the P8P. It works flawlessly!
Congrats on a great phone/watch combo. Had I kept the P8P, I definitely would have used it with my W6C!

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I completely understand. I came from a Galaxy S23 Ultra, and that's just a better phone in many, many respects. Faster performance, better battery, better reception, better/more customisable software, better fingerprint scanner, better camera in certain situations, more features, S-pen etc.

While the Pixel 8 seems to have better AI, Qualcomm have had their event and revealed the Snapdragon 8 Gen 3 and the AI stuff it can do just totally blows the Pixel 8 out of the water and it's not even close.

Have a look at this:

That's the Qualcomm reference device, so it's not a consumer product, but look at all the AI stuff it does on device. That totally blows away anything I've done and seen on the Pixel 8 Pro. It'll also be a much faster processor with better battery. I can't wait to see what Samsung reveal as they're rumoured to be pushing hard in AI with the S24, so Google look like they're in trouble when it gives to AI capabilities. The new Snapdragon chip looks insanely good for AI.

So I'm with you, Katrina. High likelihood I'm move back to Samsung with the S24 Ultra. Seems to me that Google made a mistake going with Tensor rather than Snapdragon. I don't see any benefits to Tensor really.

Last edited:

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
So I'm with you, Katrina. High likelihood I'm move back to Samsung with the S24 Ultra. Seems to me that Google made a mistake going with Tensor rather than Snapdragon. I don't see any benefits to Tensor really.

That's good stuff!!! I'm also looking forward to seeing what goes live in Jan/Feb. AI competition is heating up, so I think we're in for a treat.

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Another P8P return here. I'm not dissatisfied with the phone. I just don't like it as much as my S23U and with the S24U right around the corner, it doesn't make sense to keep it.

I gave it 10 days and here are my thoughts. I LOVE THE CAMERA. As a loyal Samsung Knight, I admit the P8P is better in everything except zoom, IMO. Some night shots came out better with the S23 too. I like the AI features. They're really good! I didn't try everything, but I can't miss what I never had. The S24 is rumored to have more AI features. Some of the photo fun stuff may eventually come in Google 1, and I read the Pixel wont have everything until Dec. anyway. We'll see. I love the flat screen. I'm so tired of Samsung's curves. The haptic feedback is awesome. I've tweaked the settings on my S23U to duplicate them. I love the hardware. Imo, the device is better looking than the S23U. That porcelain color and the camera bar does me in. So nice. The P8P gives me all day batter power also. I had no issues with connectivity or anything.

S23U wins because of the SPen and Routines. I can't do without those 2 features. Unless/until someone comes with a worthy duplication, I'm betrothed to Samsung. The camera is good enough, the AI features I use are good enough, the hardware is good enough, but the SPen (with all its features) and Routines are THE.BEST!

Bottom line, I'm glad I tried the Pixel. It's a great device and I have nothing bad to say about it. I really thought hard about keeping it, but it just doesn't make sense for me. And I absolutely abhor the PW2. Lol! It's attractive, just small imo. I like Samsung Health better than Fitbit, for the most part.

Thanks for letting me hang out with yall. I'll see most of you in Jan/Feb for S24U.

Xoxo
Sorry to see you go Katrina - I enjoyed going through those anticipation days with you! P8P is the best phone I've ever owned, so I'll be here. Hope our paths meet again!

jbjtkbw007

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
For me, there were too many things about my setup with Samsung that I'd have to go recreate (if possible) with Pixel. It was almost akin to being immersed/embedded in the Samsung ecosystem. DeX, S pen, Edge panel, all apps on homescreen, etc. However, the largest reason I returned my P8P was my bride's reaction to it. It might seem trivial, but we have identical phones so that, in case of emergency, she can easily access and navigate my device (and I, hers). She was a tad bit uncomfortable at the prospect ;) . And I like to keep momma happy and comfortable as much as possible.
I even had an SPen with my 21 Ultra, but I thought I was missing out by not having it and once I finally had it, I never used it. I tried and tried, but other than writing notes on the screen, I found that I could do the same, but quicker, using Google Assistant, so it took away any redeeming quality for me. I had wanted that pen for so long and it was not what I thought it would be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter