10 day review

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Another P8P return here. I'm not dissatisfied with the phone. I just don't like it as much as my S23U and with the S24U right around the corner, it doesn't make sense to keep it.

I gave it 10 days and here are my thoughts. I LOVE THE CAMERA. As a loyal Samsung Knight, I admit the P8P is better in everything except zoom, IMO. Some night shots came out better with the S23 too. I like the AI features. They're really good! I didn't try everything, but I can't miss what I never had. The S24 is rumored to have more AI features. Some of the photo fun stuff may eventually come in Google 1, and I read the Pixel wont have everything until Dec. anyway. We'll see. I love the flat screen. I'm so tired of Samsung's curves. The haptic feedback is awesome. I've tweaked the settings on my S23U to duplicate them. I love the hardware. Imo, the device is better looking than the S23U. That porcelain color and the camera bar does me in. So nice. The P8P gives me all day batter power also. I had no issues with connectivity or anything.

S23U wins because of the SPen and Routines. I can't do without those 2 features. Unless/until someone comes with a worthy duplication, I'm betrothed to Samsung. The camera is good enough, the AI features I use are good enough, the hardware is good enough, but the SPen (with all its features) and Routines are THE.BEST!

Bottom line, I'm glad I tried the Pixel. It's a great device and I have nothing bad to say about it. I really thought hard about keeping it, but it just doesn't make sense for me. And I absolutely abhor the PW2. Lol! It's attractive, just small imo. I like Samsung Health better than Fitbit, for the most part.

Thanks for letting me hang out with yall. I'll see most of you in Jan/Feb for S24U.

Xoxo

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Forgot to mention the fps and facial recognition were top tier for me...even with a generic sp that came with the CaseBorne cases. Facial recognition better than S23U. I concur it needs decent lighting though. I'd pick the phone up, and it unlocked b4 I had a chance to use the fp sensor.
That's awesome! Thanks for the excellent review and have fun with your new phone.

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Great follow-up and evaluation from a Samsung "lifer" I agree with everything you posted and was right there with you in returning my 8 Pro and going back to my S23U. Not because I dislike the 8 Pro or it's a bad device,but mainly for Routines, DEX, OneHanded Operation+, SPen, etc. I had the SIM swapped and everything and then the S23U reminded me of why I entertained the switch in the first place - not receiving incoming calls

jbjtkbw007

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
This phone was going to tide me over until the S24U, but I'm enthralled with is and don't know if I want to make the change. It would have to do some incredibly amazing things to get me to consider it. Glad you gave it a fair shake. I was die hard Sammy since I went with the S7 curve, but I think I may have found the next thing for me.

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I think it's most difficult for die hard Note/SPen users to 100% switch to another device. Once one fully embraces that spen functionality (and DEX), there is no replacement. Also, Sammy is rumored to beef up their AI in S24 series.

I will say, Pixel puts up a dang good fight and hopefully they'll only improve. It's not just Apple vs Samsung. Pixel is a formidable opponent. I used to call em Pixie Stix, but I gotta bow down and put some respect on Pixel!

notforhire

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
I think it's most difficult for die hard Note/SPen users to 100% switch to another device. Once one fully embraces that spen functionality (and DEX), there is no replacement. Also, Sammy is rumored to beef up their AI in S24 series.

I will say, Pixel puts up a dang good fight and hopefully they'll only improve. It's not just Apple vs Samsung. Pixel is a formidable opponent. I used to call em Pixie Stix, but I gotta bow down and put some respect on Pixel!
For me, there were too many things about my setup with Samsung that I'd have to go recreate (if possible) with Pixel. It was almost akin to being immersed/embedded in the Samsung ecosystem. DeX, S pen, Edge panel, all apps on homescreen, etc. However, the largest reason I returned my P8P was my bride's reaction to it. It might seem trivial, but we have identical phones so that, in case of emergency, she can easily access and navigate my device (and I, hers). She was a tad bit uncomfortable at the prospect ;) . And I like to keep momma happy and comfortable as much as possible.

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
However, the largest reason I returned my P8P was my bride's reaction to it. It might seem trivial, but we have identical phones so that, in case of emergency, she can easily access and navigate my device (and I, hers). She was a tad bit uncomfortable at the prospect ;) . And I like to keep momma happy and comfortable as much as possible.

That actually makes sense. You're a good, smart person.

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Well, I think I'm with ya ... Nothing at all wrong with the 8 Pro, but I am finding myself missing so much of what my S23U can do that I'm going to return my 8 Pro (and the watch as I prefer the size and functionality of my 6 Classic).

I'm still having the occasional issue with not receiving phone calls on the S23U, but I set up somewhat of a work around via Routines. I set up Google Voice as my voicemail provider and added a Routine to play YouTube music at 100% volume if I receive a GV notification and added keywords of my important contacts. I have those folks set to override DND, but if the phone doesn't ring it's kind of pointless ... So I'll inform those contacts to be sure they leave a VM. Then with this Routine set up I'll jump out of my skin when YTM starts blasting LOL

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Well, I think I'm with ya ... Nothing at all wrong with the 8 Pro, but I am finding myself missing so much of what my S23U can do that I'm going to return my 8 Pro (and the watch as I prefer the size and functionality of my 6 Classic).

I'm still having the occasional issue with not receiving phone calls on the S23U, but I set up somewhat of a work around via Routines. I set up Google Voice as my voicemail provider and added a Routine to play YouTube music at 100% volume if I receive a GV notification and added keywords of my important contacts. I have those folks set to override DND, but if the phone doesn't ring it's kind of pointless ... So I'll inform those contacts to be sure they leave a VM. Then with this Routine set up I'll jump out of my skin when YTM starts blasting LOL
The beauty of customization. That work around is topnotch...if it works

I was explaining routines to my co-worker and she just couldn't understand it. Once I set one up for her, she got it and will be setting others for herself, hubs and 2 sons.

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
The beauty of customization. That work around is topnotch...if it works

I was explaining routines to my co-worker and she just couldn't understand it. Once I set one up for her, she got it and will be setting others for herself, hubs and 2 sons.
It does indeed work ... Tested it thoroughly

Yeah, Routines is one of those things that you think you don't need until you see what it can do. Then you don't want to live without it!