12,800 ISO

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Sony boasts about the ability to shoot at 12,800 ISO with the Sony Xperia Z3 but how do you access that option or know when you are actually shooting at such a high ISO? I know there's a high ISO sensitivity mode under manual but has anyone found if the ISO actually goes that high and what the quality is like. Let me know or provide picture samples if you can. Thanks.

Posted via the Android Central App

ManApp

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
To access the 12800 Iso, you need to select Manual mode, select the photo size to 8MP, SCN (scene) option to ISO High Sensitivity. With this option the camera can shoot upto 12800, but the phone will decide which iso to set at the time of shooting the photo.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Appreciate that. I'm really going to start contacting Sony about giving us better manual control on our phones. They have a great line of cameras on the market to give us better camera more likened to what Nokia is doing on our phones. Even HTC has implemented full manual controls on the M8.

photojay

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
It's purely a marketing gimmick. ISO 12,800 on a sensor this size will be unusable. A top of the line full frame dslr like the $6000 Nikon D4S, the king of lowlight photography, ISO 12,800 will be usable, but even on higher end crop-sensor DSLRs ISO 3200 and 6400 are certainly pushing it. I love my Z3, but I'm extremely disappointed with the job Sony's done with the camera software. Really hoping they make some positive changes with the Lollipop update.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
It's purely a marketing gimmick. ISO 12,800 on a sensor this size will be unusable. A top of the line full frame dslr like the $6000 Nikon D4S, the king of lowlight photography, ISO 12,800 will be usable, but even on higher end crop-sensor DSLRs ISO 3200 and 6400 are certainly pushing it. I love my Z3, but I'm extremely disappointed with the job Sony's done with the camera software. Really hoping they make some positive changes with the Lollipop update.

Me too and this is a guy coming from the Lumia 1020 so I know the difference. The camera software experience on the 1020 was the best I've ever used built into the phone. The manual mode is lacking in comparison and the camera fv-5 app has not been a good enough replacement for me. But there's some room for improvement. Hopefully Sony steps up.