1st impressions and review of the Tab Pro 8.4 Updated 2/14

lyun17

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Got to see these tablets at bestbuy today. The screens look so good. I thought the tiles looked ok too but I noticed how the UI was different. I won a Galaxy tab 3 10.1 and noticed that the 10.1 2014 edition and these pro tablets have the a small search bar in the bottom left corner. I was glad to see these pro tablets come with Kit Kat and liked the new notification bar with the new flat icon style.

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I picked up the Tab 8.4 on Thursday from BB. The screen is amazing. The keyboard is even much better than the G Pad GEE and Nexus 7. The G Pads screen with the downfall for me. It was not as sharp on the edges.

I actually am not as put off by the Touchwiz as I thought I'd be. It's pretty solid. I am running Nova on it as I did on the G Pad. Long press the home button for Google Now is nice. I find the Tab Pro is faster than the G Pad as well.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site
The screen is definitely one of the big selling points of this tablet. It's absolutely beautiful. The one thing I don't like is the Magazine UI home screen interface. I tried it out, but just didn't dig it. But I just installed Nova Launcher Prime and I don't have to deal with it.

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Just a heads up, these tabs do not come with magazine UX, what you are seeing is 4.4 touchwiz with flipboard widgets, 6 per page that can be removed with long press and swipe up.

Rumor is that we won't see Magazine UX due to Google and Samsung entering the 10 year agreement.

If the above isn't true then magazine UX will be available some time soon they said

Posted via Android Central App

Edward Weldon

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
I can get rid all the widgets except the one for the calender. I like the calender but with the other widgets gone it leaves 2 blank spaces below the calender and the calender won't go full screen. It's annoying when you can't do what you want.

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Just a heads up, these tabs do not come with magazine UX, what you are seeing is 4.4 touchwiz with flipboard widgets, 6 per page that can be removed with long press and swipe up.

Rumor is that we won't see Magazine UX due to Google and Samsung entering the 10 year agreement.

If the above isn't true then magazine UX will be available some time soon they said

Posted via Android Central App

No. That IS the magazine UI. It is exactly as it looked at CES when announced.

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
No. That IS the magazine UI. It is exactly as it looked at CES when announced.

Hmm, i was reading somehwere that this isnt the finished thing, ill have to have a look around, but its not as intrusive as some people thought it would be if this is the full Magazine UX, nothing new about it really

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
So i`ve just ordered another one lol this time in black, its such a nice tablet and i got this one tax free with 6 months interest free, hoping the back stays where it should this time!

SassyLee

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Brought the 8.4 on Saturday, BB only had it in white no black in my surrounding areas. I really enjoyed getting to play around with it the screen was gorgeous to say the least. I had no problems with build quality, no lag and I didn't mind the magazine layout at all. I didn't even think about placing Nova launcher on since I use it on my other android devices. I ended up taking it back today though and brought the note pro.

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, i was reading somehwere that this isnt the finished thing, ill have to have a look around, but its not as intrusive as some people thought it would be if this is the full Magazine UX, nothing new about it really

Yea it's not bad. Essentially Flipboard with a few other widgets. It can be changed.

sudbury78

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Sassy. The previously released note 10.1? Did you consider the tab pro 10.1? I'm now considering that instead as the 8.4 is not much different than my note 3 and it's pointless to use in landscape mode like people typically do with tablets.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Sassy. The previously released note 10.1? Did you consider the tab pro 10.1? I'm now considering that instead as the 8.4 is not much different than my note 3 and it's pointless to use in landscape mode like people typically do with tablets.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Just from my few days worth of experience...The 8.4 I use in landscape more than portrait. Thing is, apps recognize this tablet as an actual tablet (vs Nexus 7 or G Pad 8.3 GPe are seen as phones in many cases). I say this because Words with Friends, Dice with Buddies and a few more apps are default landscape orientation instead of portrait. So the 8.4 is very well suited for landscape mode. I think because of the lack of on-screen keys, the screen size in landscape is actually quite a bit bigger than Nexus 7 or G Pad.

Edward Weldon

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Got mine at BB first thing Thursday morning. Have seen none of the physical problems that others have seen. Super fast, not hard to hold, no gaps or the back not falling off. Battery seems good enough so far. The UI is strange.The Magazine portion is nothing more than one page of 6 panels of Flip board categories. News, Technologies etc.... Not all that exciting and don't know if it has an affect on the battery life. And can't figured out how to get rid of it, must be baked it. I'm trying out 2 different launchers. Nova and Google now launcher both work fine. I'm going to do a battery test tomorrow with the built-in launcher after a good nights charge. Will post results. One last thing, the size. I live my life in cargo pants and shorts. This is the largest tablet that will still fit in my pockets. What can be better than that. ;)

Alright completed testing, as far as I'm concerned anyway. I was using MXpro with hardware decoder active, 100% brightness, WIFI on, Bluetooth on, and GPS on, volume at 50%. 720p mp4 movie on continues loop. With the battery at 100% fresh off the charger the Video ran 5.5 hours. I ran video full time. Quit at 15%

Looking at the battery stats for the test 57% was the screen, 16% android system, 15% media server, 8% android OS, 3% Google Services .

Yesterday just playing around, I ran video for 3 hrs 40 mins then surfed for 1 hr, read a book 2 hrs, was in standby for 2 hrs. Stopped paying attention at 35%.

The battery does seem to be getting a little better as time goes along. I've only had it since Thursday. I sure it is not fully broken in yet. It will work for me until something better comes along.

One final thought, if Samsung makes a Verizon version they had better beef up the battery considerably or the LTE is going to suck it dry in 10 minutes.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elizabethstephen