2.2 update question

Coriolis3ffect

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
When the official 2.2 update is released for the Captivate and it is downloaded... would that cause any issues with the root or it'll still turn out to be normal?

SterlingSpring

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Theres no Froyo root method at this time for the Captivate or Vibrant..but there is a root for 2.1 to do with it as you like but honestly rooting has risks and unless your well educated on software or smartphone compiling I'd be very careful with such a new phone. I certainly understand people wanting to root handsets like the Devour or G1 or Backflip that are stuck on old versions but this isn't the case with the Captivate. Froyo has been promised for the late summer for the European versions of the Galaxy S so it's safe to say American Galaxy S users will be get it around the same period or maybe sometime after so likely by October which isn't a long way off. Give Samsung some slack in that their very new to Android handsets and they have alot of work to do. (While Motorola and HTC have quite a headstart) Late fall they'll start working on Gingerbread (likely) already after the Froyo upgrade is over.

alphadog

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Actually, gaining root access requires loading one file on 2.1. There is no risk and no knowledge of "smartphone compiling" is required and I am not even sure what that is.

All things relating to 2.2 are unknown at this point in time. Dates are september-ish and there are some pre-release versions out for the EU Galaxy S (i9000). Other then that, we all have to wait and see together.

Stromson

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
If I understand the process correctly, if you were to download the 2.2 update it would overwrite your old 2.1 rooted ROM and you'd lose root. By the time the Captivate actually receives the OTA, I suspect that'll be a non issue as 2.2 will probably have been rooted by then.

SterlingSpring

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Smartphone compiling? Meaning how to compile or run the data, run prompts or know bits of computer language. Some of the rooting methods are complicated rather than the simple program that says plug it in and "Root Me!" or "UnRoot me...:(*

That step by step press fdhshds#*** then "......." CAN be confusing. And Alphadog..I said they have a root for 2.1 earlier. Be civil, whether intentional or not you made me look like I didn't know what I was talking about.

gspeed

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Give Samsung some slack in that their very new to Android handsets and they have alot of work to do. (While Motorola and HTC have quite a headstart) Late fall they'll start working on Gingerbread (likely) already after the Froyo upgrade is over.

I don't mean to pick on you but wtf are you talking about.

Samsung's first Android device the original galaxy was released in June 2009

Samsung i7500 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Motorola's first Android device was released in the CliQ and the Droid shortly after were released in Oct 2009

Here's a helpful post to read before making unfounded claims

List of Android devices - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And how will Samsung possibly beigin to work on gingerbread in the late fall. Google has no release planned for Gingerbread. Google has claimed they will be finishing Gingerbread around December.

Even if they have Gingerbread ready for production by December, I would imagine it would take Samsung and every other manufacturer to take at least 1-2 months to deploy it on their devices.

Last edited:

gspeed

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Actually, gaining root access requires loading one file on 2.1. There is no risk and no knowledge of "smartphone compiling" is required and I am not even sure what that is.

All things relating to 2.2 are unknown at this point in time. Dates are september-ish and there are some pre-release versions out for the EU Galaxy S (i9000). Other then that, we all have to wait and see together.

you're moving up the ladder. Short accurate and to the point response.

SterlingSpring

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I don't mean to pick on you but wtf are you talking about.

Samsung's first Android device the original galaxy was released in June 2009

Samsung i7500 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Motorola's first Android device was released in the CliQ and the Droid shortly after were released in Oct 2009

Here's a helpful post to read before making unfounded claims

And how will Samsung possibly beigin to work on gingerbread in the late fall. Google has no release planned for Gingerbread. Google has claimed they will be finishing Gingerbread around December.

Even if they have Gingerbread ready for production by December, I would imagine it would take Samsung and every other manufacturer to take at least 1-2 months to deploy it on their devices.

Interesting...you forgot the fact that the Galaxy S is Samsung's first android handsets for the U.S. market so dealing with OTA updates with our stubborn carriers may take some time. So please, consider that the Captivate is an AMERICAN phone so international markets don't have the same comparible history. So my comment is still as valid.

writerman

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
Smartphone compiling? Meaning how to compile or run the data, run prompts or know bits of computer language. Some of the rooting methods are complicated rather than the simple program that says plug it in and "Root Me!" or "UnRoot me...:(*

That step by step press fdhshds#*** then "......." CAN be confusing. And Alphadog..I said they have a root for 2.1 earlier. Be civil, whether intentional or not you made me look like I didn't know what I was talking about.

While rooting some other devices may be as complicated as you say, the process for rooting the Captivate is pretty straightforward. Now, granted, the process for enabling sideloading or removing AT&T bloatware is more complicated, but we're not talking about that here.

As for the "That step by step press fdhshds..." stuff, well, it's just irrelevant where rooting the Captivate is concerned.

gspeed

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Interesting...you forgot the fact that the Galaxy S is Samsung's first android handsets for the U.S. market so dealing with OTA updates with our stubborn carriers may take some time. So please, consider that the Captivate is an AMERICAN phone so international markets don't have the same comparible history. So my comment is still as valid.

You just don't know when to quit do you? Also lol at you capitalizing the word American for emphasis and then still being wrong.

I gave you a list of Android devices and you still managed to pass along even more incorrect information. If you really want to play this game of me misinterpreting that you meant US phone then fine lets play that game. You're still wrong

Samsung moment and behold were released in Nov 2009. Motorola droid/cliq released late oct/early november 2009. Your original claim

Give Samsung some slack in that their very new to Android handsets and they have alot of work to do. (While Motorola and HTC have quite a headstart)

So how has Motorola had quite a headstart when Moto and Samsung released their phones within a month of each other?

Galaxy S is Samsung's first android handsets for the U.S. market

This is also just plain wrong as evidenced above.

Instead of arguing with me why don't you just admit you made a mistake. Even if you originally meant you were referring to US based handsets you are still wrong. Like I said I don't want to pick on you but stop spreading false information and then trying to back it up by claiming I misinterpreted you.

Here's the list again. Please read or at least refer to it before getting discredited every time you post as if you have actual knowledge of Samsung's history of Android devices.

buttersrugby

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for straightening this all out g speed. The internet is ripe with misinformation and it's nice when it can be nipped in the bud.

And Gspeed is clearly trying to be nice while setting you straight - show some humility.

lsmunoz

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I would not worry too much about losing root when applying the OTA. Look at the recent experience for the Droid X users. Within hours of the OTA release a root exploit was found and distributed. The Android community will attack rooting 2.2 as soon as it is available and will have it licked in nothing flat.

anneoneamouse

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
For the current OTA update, rooting the phone caused no problem.

Those that had problems were people who have flashed a ROM, usually with "one click Odin" (see the xda forums for more details). Speculation is that the "stock" JH6 rom included had been modified or was incomplete in some way.

Take-away from all this (what I wish I had done, but didn't)- if you're going to modify the phone in any way, the first piece of research you should do is find out how to create and back up a complete and actual copy of the phone's stock ROM.

AoN

s2h2golf

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
For the current OTA update, rooting the phone caused no problem.

Those that had problems were people who have flashed a ROM, usually with "one click Odin" (see the xda forums for more details). Speculation is that the "stock" JH6 rom included had been modified or was incomplete in some way.

Take-away from all this (what I wish I had done, but didn't)- if you're going to modify the phone in any way, the first piece of research you should do is find out how to create and back up a complete and actual copy of the phone's stock ROM.

AoN

Agreed. Once I finally got JH7 on my phone from XDA, and got it where I wanted it without applying any other updates or fixes other than root, I made a complete copy of my ROM using ROM Manager. The bad thing for me was I started playing around with changing out ROMs about a week before this update hit - should have waited...