2800mAh? Is this a joke?

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
The ROG has some seriously bad options for cellular service. If you are Verizon or Sprint, it's a no go, and no VoLTE for anyone, same for no WiFi calling. It's the best phone out, until it took an arrow to the knee.

That's unfortunate. It looks so promising. It did catch my eye for a bit.

frederickdawg

Oct 1, 2018
Visit site
Why is it that every new OnePlus phone is always heavier than the one before it?

I briefly owned the 6 and it's my favorite out of all of them simply because it's not as big or heavy as the ones that came after it. Oh and that LED notification light
Which 6T would you recommend , a6010 or a6013? I think the latter also has band 71 which is moot for me in my area. Pretty cheap at the moment on eBay open box less than $300.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
Which 6T would you recommend , a6010 or a6013? I think the latter also has band 71 which is moot for me in my area. Pretty cheap at the moment on eBay open box less than $300.
I have no idea, but i'd recommend the 6 over the 6T.

First of all, the 6 has a LED notification light, it's kind of weak, but it's there.

Second, the 6T was the first attempt at an in-display fingerprint sensor and reports weren't great.

Third, the 6 is already bulky and heavy enough, the 6T is even more. The newer ones are even more so. Ergonomics sure aren't on top of the priority list for OnePlus.

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Google sure is stubborn sometimes. Like others said, why not improve optimization, plus have a slightly bigger battery? Destroy the competition on this spec, versus being status quo.

Why not have a fingerprint scanner, plus the facial recognition unlock? Face unlock has too many limitations.

And on the Pixel 3, why they only included 4mb ram, when everyone knew it was not enough. I'm constantly closing all my apps as it gets sluggish.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Google sure is stubborn sometimes. Like others said, why not improve optimization, plus have a slightly bigger battery? Destroy the competition on this spec, versus being status quo.

Why not have a fingerprint scanner, plus the facial recognition unlock? Face unlock has too many limitations.

And on the Pixel 3, why they only included 4mb ram, when everyone knew it was not enough. I'm constantly closing all my apps as it gets sluggish.
Never had a real issue with the 3XL and 4MB. I won't even begin to suggest that there isn't some difference but I used phones with 8 and 12GB and didn't find a real difference I day to day usage. Sure, if you want to keep a gazillion apps open you need more RAM but that doesn't mean that every app stays open without reloading. The only reason I gave up my 3XL was because I got great trade in value for it.

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Never had a real issue with the 3XL and 4MB. I won't even begin to suggest that there isn't some difference but I used phones with 8 and 12GB and didn't find a real difference I day to day usage. Sure, if you want to keep a gazillion apps open you need more RAM but that doesn't mean that every app stays open without reloading. The only reason I gave up my 3XL was because I got great trade in value for it.

I've never had a major issue, but I've also got in the habit of closing all apps several times during the day. But before I got into that habit, I often would open a non responsive app that wouldn't work until I closed every app. I don't have many apps on my phone running, try to keep it lean, but all those apps just keep open no matter how long ago I used them. I wish there was a setting to close an open app automatically if it's not been used in the past hour. Maybe there is.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I've never had a major issue, but I've also got in the habit of closing all apps several times during the day. But before I got into that habit, I often would open a non responsive app that wouldn't work until I closed every app. I don't have many apps on my phone running, try to keep it lean, but all those apps just keep open no matter how long ago I used them. I wish there was a setting to close an open app automatically if it's not been used in the past hour. Maybe there is.
Are you sure they are open or just looking at recently opened apps?

arifbsantoso

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
I mean, is this really any different for a Pixel?

OG Pixel - 2770 mAh
Pixel two - 2700 mAh
Pixel three - 2915 mAh
Pixel four - 2800 mAh

Looks like Google is staying within a traditional range. All generations got me through my day, but the Pixel 2 on Oreo was the best.

I'm thinking about buying Nokia series.
Same pure Android with more battery durability.

Vega007

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
There are surely going to be a lot of, “How To Conserve Your P4 battery” videos on YouTube for sure.

Use dark mode, turn off 90 hrtz, leave it in airplane mode all the time, always keep it on the charger when you can, buy something else.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Agreed. I struggled with the battery on my Pixel 2 for 2 years. When I saw that they were still planning on using small batteries for the P4, I bought a Note 10. I do miss the pure Android though.

The XL battery is bigger than XL's of the past though. I'll wait for some YouTube drain tests first. Note 10+ is my other option though. That said, 3,700 mAh seems like for a 90hz display.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I don't care what kind of optimization magic Google will throw in there, a 2800mAh paired with a 5.7" OLED will not end well.

Most "normal" users don't uses their phones as much as we aficionados do, so should have no issues with a 2800mAh battery driving a device with a 5.7" OLED.

If you add the fact that the 4 features a 90Hz native refresh display, that would certainly make it a much greater challenge for daily use, except for one thing: you can't look at the change of two performance driving specs to the exclusion of all others in estimating results.

Big mistake to not acknowledge that the SD855, a 7nm chip, is 40% more energy efficient than the SD845, a 10nm chip, as used on Pixel 3/3XL.

I could just point to that and the battery and say "hey y'all, battery life is going to be through the roof with the Pixel 4!" but I'd be just as mistaken.

Another counterpoint to the 90Hz display draining more energy is that we have absolutely no details on the "neural core" - depending on what tasks are offloaded to it (presumably more than what was delegated to the "visual core" that it would seem to be replacing) and the relative efficiency with which it handles it, this could represent further energy. And in contrast, we don't know additional energy cost with Soli and the other new sensors.

The actual battery life will fall somewhere between the two extremes, and we'll have to wait a bit to see where.

Last edited:

AbAll87

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I feel like the battery is a big disappointment. I can't complain yet... for the first year my OG pixel was superb. I only used one charger, the one next to my bed. I'm in the third year and it's terrible now but I think that's normal for any phone (unless I'm wrong)

jaybotinc

Jul 29, 2019
Visit site
seriously though I think quite a few P4 users will end up doing a settings change back to 60hz.
I would change "will" to "should". As we have discussed in other recent threads, most users do not tweak ONE thing that requires them to open settings. Nothing. I am pretty sure there are real statistics out there that bear this out time ajd time again. So, unless it's part of the initial set up wizard or whatever pixel calls theirs or they do so incidentally by tapping battery saver whenever their battery starts getting low, the CAST majority of ppl will just complain about their battery rather than put even 20 seconds of research into fingering out how to save their battery. Wa waaaa...