2800mAh? Is this a joke?

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I should've been clearer. It is my idle time on that device. Instead of I haven't charged it in days, I should've said I haven't touched it in days .. was poor wording on my part.

My Pixel 3 actually isn't as good under the same circumstances wit it's 2915 mAh battery.

Right, I get it. I'm not saying this size battery isn't gonna work for you. I'm just saying it's way behind the curve in late 2019 and we shouldn't let Google get away with it. I respect those that may think that this is enough, because everyone's use case is different. It just seems that , as much as we accuse Apple users of having the Apple "reality distortion field" up all the time, I feel like Android users do this too without realizing it sometimes.

In any case, the only thing that matters is individual use cases, and it sounds like for you this will do well, so that is a good thing.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Saying that something is "good" or "bad" is always a matter personal perspective. If you are of the opinion that Pixel batteries are "bad" then that's cool. I don't see them as such in my usage.

Here's my idle time on my Pixel 2. I haven't charged it in days. It has a smaller battery than the one we're discussing. Now is that "bad" to you?
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Battery size doesn't mean much for my usage and charging habits. If we didn't have fast charging it might influence me a little bit more.

I can't let battery size dictate my purchase when there are other items that I consider a higher priority. Having said all that, if two devices are fairly equal at everything else I might pick the one with a larger battery unless it makes the device unyieldy. Doesn't make me right or wrong, just means I value my opinion over that of others.

ezdoit

Sep 20, 2019
Visit site
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Battery size doesn't mean much for my usage and charging habits. If we didn't have fast charging it might influence a little bit more.

I can't let battery size dictate my purchase when there are other items that I consider a higher priority. Having said all that, if two devices are fairly equal at everything else I might pick the one with a larger battery unless it makes the device unyieldy. Doesn't make me right or wrong, just means I value my opinion over that of others.

Thank you speaker of true words. We all value our opinions over those of others, that's why they are our opinions. Some people seem to promote their opinions as facts, they are not.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Right, I get it. I'm not saying this size battery isn't gonna work for you. I'm just saying it's way behind the curve in late 2019 and we shouldn't let Google get away with it. I respect those that may think that this is enough, because everyone's use case is different. It just seems that , as much as we accuse Apple users of having the Apple "reality distortion field" up all the time, I feel like Android users do this too without realizing it sometimes.

In any case, the only thing that matters is individual use cases, and it sounds like for you this will do well, so that is a good thing.

I guess my thought would be what would make it "not behind" ? I feel like Pixels will never have an overly beefy spec sheet. They've said they don't have an interest in that type of build themselves. So I don't have any expectations set that a Pixel will out spec a Note 10 any time soon..

They use the latest and newest technology in their builds. They use quality materials and offer great features... So why are expectations different than what Google has said what reality is and will be?

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Let's approach it from another direction. Usage. If you measured batteries in usage only and this battery works through an average users day, is that really behind?

I am not going to reply anymore on this because it’s gotten a little silly. But the point is that whatever a current users day looks like it will look way better if the battery was bigger.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
:0They see so much at the liquor store that they don't charge me tax. They must think it's for resale.
Interesting, the driver that delivers to my liquor store down the street always thinks he's at the wrong address when I tell him to back up the truck in my driveway , waiting with a Dolly:)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
Oh boy. . What would make it not behind? A bigger battery. This is starting to get silly.

In a smartphone world that is seeing more software features being added, more cameras on smartphones, larger and more power hungry displays (90hz and OLED), seeing battery size shrink is never a good thing. Especially for the Pixel 4. A 3000mAh battery is the bare minimum for a display of that size.

It’s one thing having a minimalistic philosophy. But getting basic things like battery size wrong is embarrassing.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
In a smartphone world that is seeing more software features being added, more cameras on smartphones, larger and more power hungry displays (90hz and OLED), seeing battery size shrink is never a good thing. Especially for the Pixel 4. A 3000mAh battery is the bare minimum for a display of that size.

It’s one thing having a minimalistic philosophy. But getting basic things like battery size wrong is embarrassing.
I get your point that as we add more features battery consumption goes up, but I'm not sure having multiple cameras has any real impact on battery life. At least not for photography even if all the sensors are active with the app open. Possibly if the front cams are involved in face ID. Just to be clear, not debating your point but it's how many mind works.

The Pixel 4 doesn't excite me regardless. I don't want to diminish it for those that are interested but I would have to get the XL model if I was in the market. It's a no for me to both models based on what has been revealed so far.
I wish then well but it's a tuff market right now .

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
This is a weird/funny/curious thread. Lots of people complaining about the Pixel 4 battery...then in the same breath say they are not interested in the Pixel 4 regardless of battery size.

I am interested in the Pixel 4 XL and hoped it would have a bigger battery. But I am willing to wait and see real life performance before I complain. I had the Pixel 3 XL but traded it in on the Note 10+....i mean they gave me $550 for it!

But for me...i am willing to wait and see how it all plays out on Tuesday and in the coming reviews after the announcement.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
This is a weird/funny/curious thread. Lots of people complaining about the Pixel 4 battery...then in the same breath say they are not interested in the Pixel 4 regardless of battery size.

I am interested in the Pixel 4 XL and hoped it would have a bigger battery. But I am willing to wait and see real life performance before I complain. I had the Pixel 3 XL but traded it in on the Note 10+....i mean they gave me $550 for it!

But for me...i am willing to wait and see how it all plays out on Tuesday and in the coming reviews after the announcement.
I'm not sure who you are referring to but I''m not interested in the 4 regardless of battery size but I didn't complain about the battery