3g/4g issue with bionic

Supraman35

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
My phone never had a problem in the first two weeks. Then I noticed it started acting strange in 4g to 3g handoffs. After leaving the 4g area my 3g connection would be white and I would have to power off the phone to get it to reset. I just completed a 4 hour trip and on the way home (I wasnt driving) I noticed the connection had dropped out, but this time I wanted to see if it would switch back on its own. After waiting an hour it still did not reset the connection.

Yesterday while working on my car in the garage, my phone had no connection for 3 hours out of no where! Keep in mind my phone is set to CDMA when I am in my house because there is no 4g coverage here. If I have to worry my phone is going to randomly drop its connection I dont see the point in keeping it.

Anyone been successful in getting a replacement and not having these issues?

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
My phone never had a problem in the first two weeks. Then I noticed it started acting strange in 4g to 3g handoffs. After leaving the 4g area my 3g connection would be white and I would have to power off the phone to get it to reset. I just completed a 4 hour trip and on the way home (I wasnt driving) I noticed the connection had dropped out, but this time I wanted to see if it would switch back on its own. After waiting an hour it still did not reset the connection.

Yesterday while working on my car in the garage, my phone had no connection for 3 hours out of no where! Keep in mind my phone is set to CDMA when I am in my house because there is no 4g coverage here. If I have to worry my phone is going to randomly drop its connection I dont see the point in keeping it.

Anyone been successful in getting a replacement and not having these issues?

I've noticed a similar issue. It happened last night while driving back to CA from Vegas.

I experienced similar problems with both the tbolt and charge.

snowwy66

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
i went to albuquerque from salt lake. for the most part there was internet. but on the way back. had to power off the phone. got back home and had to power off the ph one. in the morning at home had to power off the phone.

ever since i've left albuquerque to come back to salt lake. i've had problems maintaining internet.

pnico

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Its pretty sad as nice as this bionic is that the engineers of motorola didnt catch this and that a fix is due put in november. I had similar issues with the charge and thunderbolt as far as fluctuation in signals but to have devices that have 3g/4g and no data connection??
Real pain in the ass to deal with from a perspective of a business owner..

Gaelic241

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I just picked up the Bionic 3 days ago and I was having data connectivity issues right off the bat. The phone would show 3G/4G connectivity, but I couldn't connect to the market, browser or anything. I would power off the phone and back on, same issue 50% of the time, even after battery pulls. Called Verizon and spoke to Tier II Tech Support who stated that there is an issue called "Marginal 3G/4G" and it is under investigation by Moto. There is a "tentative OTA" due the first week of November to fix the issue, but we all know it won't come that quickly. :'(

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I think we are more likely to see an update with this being a Motorola phone, than if we were to have say something like a Samsung phone.

indiane

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I have the same issue but a lot of the time, I can get the phone to reconnect to 3g by toggling airplane mode on and off.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I had the same 3G/4G issues as everyone else and finally gave up. I run a small business and it started to be a problem. My local store took it back but that was only after several calls. I even bought a network extender for my house. That only helps the 3G signal but even that didnt help. Hopefully they get it fixed soon and maybe I will buy one again.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Let's all be patient. I'm sure VZW is working as quickly as they can to make sure all of their advertisers are satisfied with the update prior to it being rolled out to our phones.

nismo591

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Sorry but you must have looked at the length and not really read all of them in detail...1/2 the list ARE NOT "defects" in either hardware or software, but are implemented as requested by Verizon and the majority of the remaining should be fixed with an OTA fix in November. The TB had quite a list of problems as well; not that I'm dissing the phone...my friend has one and loves it. I'm only saying the Bionic is more refined and faster/smoother and has longer battery life than the TB.

I came from the Tbolt and can say with GB update the battery life on both devices is on par with one another. From a smoother standpoint I can honestly say the Tbolt was more fluid overall with the occasional lag, My Bionic experience thus so far hasn't been that way. I still like the Bionic but its only a stopgap i've decided until I get the Nexus.

D'Bionic

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I too have the same issue that alot of you are having with the radio and 4g connection. I have to cut mine off verytime it happens, But it only happens when I'am at my job. I just hope that Motorola brings that update soon!!!!:-\

Bionic Bobsled

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
So I thought the leaked OTA patch fixed/helped this problem? Is that not the case? I really want to know if anybody had connection problems and then installed the OTA patch and if there was a noticable difference?

TIA

Ahkee

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
This has been an on going problem. I finally told Verizon that I wanted my money back if they could not fix the problem. They sent a patch to my phone (have no idea what it was) they did it remotely and I have had no problems since. That was about 2 weeks ago.

Sent from my A100 using Tapatalk

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I spoke with Verizon rep today and they stated Motorola pushed out the phone with a junk 3G radio. I am really disappointed by this. They also said the Razr and the upcoming Droid 4 have the same exact radio.

I returned the Bionic because of the data signal issue. The phone itself was great but useless if I could not get email. I keep hoping that there is a fix but they even said the upcoming update will not solve it for everyone. They said the issue really only affects locations that are on the outskirts of a 4G area.

corymcnutt

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I spoke with Verizon rep today and they stated Motorola pushed out the phone with a junk 3G radio. I am really disappointed by this. They also said the Razr and the upcoming Droid 4 have the same exact radio.

I returned the Bionic because of the data signal issue. The phone itself was great but useless if I could not get email. I keep hoping that there is a fix but they even said the upcoming update will not solve it for everyone. They said the issue really only affects locations that are on the outskirts of a 4G area.
I'm sorry, but I find it hard to believe that Verizon would tell you something like that. Junk...Verizon wouldn't admit that and besides, Motorola doesn't make junk radios.

corymcnutt

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
This has been an on going problem. I finally told Verizon that I wanted my money back if they could not fix the problem. They sent a patch to my phone (have no idea what it was) they did it remotely and I have had no problems since. That was about 2 weeks ago.

Verizon leaked you, and only you, a patch that would quiet most of the Bionic owners...I don't think so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali