4.2.2 and battery life

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
On average now I can't make it past 14hrs and 3hrs on time. Its great I can get to 12hrs with moderate use though. In other words, it last the whole day. Pushing 4hrs/16+ hrs overall is my goal tho so I'll keep tweaking.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

zerkms

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Not excited with my N4 anymore :-(
A week ago:
2f682d26f4ebc41e7934e18989925aaf.png

Today:
34a344084c42c7c6db3a8f55e21f18f6.png

Didn't install anything new that should and could consume battery, but "Android System" drains battery a lot

:-(

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Switched back to Franco kernel when milestone 1 released. Initially it wasn't anything special, around same time as stock kernel which was average. Saw a tip though about making sure I install the kernel, uninstall the Franco app, then reflashing the kernel again. Kinda reset things I guess because now the idle time is in another league. Sure 3hrs on time is about OKAY, but considering id only get about 12-14hrs overall time with that and now I'm getting an extra 10hrs, I'm satisfied with this.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1363914204046.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1363914204046.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 48
  • uploadfromtaptalk1363914229487.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1363914229487.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 47

Craig Frazier

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
I don't get how everyone seems to be getting more battery life...this update killed my battery almost right away. Right after the update it went down about 25% within 45 minutes and another hour after that and it was at 4%. Other than checking some e-mail I wasn't even doing anything with it. It almost seems like it turned something on that I never used before. Any ideas? Also now my phone vibrates at every notification and I can't figure out how to turn that off. Wish I wouldn't have downloaded this update!

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I don't get how everyone seems to be getting more battery life...this update killed my battery almost right away. Right after the update it went down about 25% within 45 minutes and another hour after that and it was at 4%. Other than checking some e-mail I wasn't even doing anything with it. It almost seems like it turned something on that I never used before. Any ideas? Also now my phone vibrates at every notification and I can't figure out how to turn that off. Wish I wouldn't have downloaded this update!

Although its a hassle, you may have to do a factory reset and see if that helps. Use an app like Carbon backup to back up your apps and data to dropbox/drive or something.

pimpdaddywelfare

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I've been running juice defender free for three last 2 days and Im not sure it's helping...
Today I'm on
2h 8m battery with 77% remaining
44m screentime
9m of angry birds star wars.
No calls or texts.

Edit- after writing this post I checked again... 75%

Update,
66%
4h 26m
48m screen time
Its just been sitting in my locker while I was at the gym

Last edited:

therealrocky

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
the last 2 days my nexus 4 has been getting really hot around the back camera and the battery has been draining at an unreal rate the battery barely lasts ....before these past two days I have been getting full day usage out of it...I have not added any new apps or changed any settings im on 4.2.2 is this a bug does anyone know how to fix this????

pimpdaddywelfare

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
A week or so ago I had battery issues, uninstalled a few apps and had great battery life and usage. since then its been rough...
Since yesterday I re-charged and got this, not texts or calls and running Juice Defender on aggressive mode.... I guess the battery is pretty good if you dont plan on using the phone.

Screenshot_2013-03-24-11-31-51_zps53f2dc14.png

Screenshot_2013-03-24-11-31-55_zpsaee139e8.png

Each dip in this pic is either checking facebook or the chive app. the long gradual decline was when I was sleeping...
Screenshot_2013-03-24-11-31-40_zps03d62eb6.png

jgreeson25

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
For those of you that have experienced significantly better battery life after updating to 4.2.2: Are you using a non-stock launcher, such as Nova? Nova is the launcher that I use, and I have not seen any material increase or decrease in battery life following the most recent update. I remember reading somewhere that Nova consumed more battery life than the stock launcher. Since the update, I have not gone back to using the stock launcher.

Babypohemus

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
After updating with 4.2.2 yesterday, my battery started losing juice immediately, draining at a rate of about 50% per hour. I tried:

1. A "soft" reset (removing the battery)
  2. Uninstalling non-essential apps
  3. A hard reset
None of the above had any positive effect on battery life. I called Verizon tech support, where I was told that they'd received a flurry of similar complaints over the last few days, and that in most cases, they'd responded by replacing the device. Instead, my tech person contacted a Verizon engineer, who contacted a Samsung engineer, and they decided to send my phone to Samsung for testing and analysis. They'll replace my phone, and I'll just hope that the 4.2.2 update is optional (I honestly don't remember whether it was pushed to my phone, or whether I was prompted to opt in/out). The engineer is supposed to contact me when they've created a patch, which hopefully won't be too long.

Weapondrift

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
You guys must not EVER use your phones lol

Im using Carbon Rom and Franco Kernel and I get 2 hours MAX with heavy use and that's normal use for me. This is being underclocked and undervolted and still running Interactive governor. I have to constantly stay plugged in and its really annoying. In 4.1.2 I could at one time change my individual screen brightness settings to help with battery by just typing in the numbers but then 4.2.2 came out with a slideing bar and now I the settings that used to be there aren't. #RatherAnnoying.