45 Watt charging is just a number

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I've said this elsewhere and I may be totally wrong, but I wonder if the stigma attached to the Note line after the Note 7 fiasco factored into the decision among other things to drop the Note name.

I feel like it was mutually beneficial to merge the two lines. They get to erase the memory of the Note disaster, and they also get to liven up sagging S line sales by infusing the popular Note fanbase into it.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I feel like it was mutually beneficial to merge the two lines. They get to erase the memory of the Note disaster, and they also get to liven up sagging S line sales by infusing the popular Note fanbase into it.
Exactly

The only people who lost out were those that wanted a cheaper or smaller Note.

Emig5m

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
I agree, this is what I came up with regarding the 25w, the 2019 45w and now the brand new 2022 45w. Very disappointed in the lies from Samsung on this.

Hmm... looks like the old and new 45w charger performs the same. I got stuck getting the old because the new isn't available. I'm still wondering if the performance difference between the 45w and 25w is much larger on larger devices like the Tab S8 Ultra and on top of that, if the new model 45w charger would also perform better on the larger devices or is it just a general manufacturing model number change. My 45w charger order is 'In Process' so it will still be a while until I can test it since it hasn't even shipped yet.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I've said this elsewhere and I may be totally wrong, but I wonder if the stigma attached to the Note line after the Note 7 fiasco factored into the decision among other things to drop the Note name.

Honestly I can't imagine that something from 5 years ago is haunting this brand or this name. Just listening to people talk about how much they love their Note devices seems to put that to rest. Truthfully I think the only thing with more of a fan following is the iPhone. Literally I cannot name another device that people call out by name and say things like, I wouldn't trade this in for any other device, If they don't release another one this year I'll just be holding on to this one that I have, I missed my Note so much that I had to trade in for this device as soon as I saw it... I haven't heard it about the S series, the Fold, the Flip, OnePlus, OPPO, only the Note and iPhone. I'll tell you one other thing that I heard multiple times and in several reviews, they should have just called this the Galaxy S Note Ultra, or just Galaxy Note Ultra. LOL

@Emig5m Yeah they sold out during the pre-order, if you're ordering from Samsung. I had one in my cart but was still hem-hawing around and missed it. After seeing the test results I'm not mad that I saved that 50 bucks.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Well, you care, apparently, since you posted about it. I did too. The only difference is that what I posted about it is true. Accuracy is just as calm as inaccuracy. :)
Ha ha ha ha ha. The point of my post was made either way.. reason Samsung would be cautious on battery is note 7 was costly. I had the wrong amount, who cares, the point still stands.

It's time to move on

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I got a pre-order bonus from Samsung which was only recently confirmed and am waiting to be delivered. One of the items is apparently Samsung's latest 65W multi charger. 65, 45 and 25W. 65W for laptops and 45/25W for phones. So I'm looking forward to trying it out.

That being said, I personally am very happy with the standard 25W charger. I bounce between 2 homes and at my 2nd home I am using my old 18W Note 9 charger and even that I'm finding a decent charging speed, let alone the 25W charger. I'm using that as I'm waiting for this bonus charger rather than spend money on another charger, as I've already bought 2 of the 25W chargers for use in my 1st home.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Hmm... looks like the old and new 45w charger performs the same. I got stuck getting the old because the new isn't available. I'm still wondering if the performance difference between the 45w and 25w is much larger on larger devices like the Tab S8 Ultra and on top of that, if the new model 45w charger would also perform better on the larger devices or is it just a general manufacturing model number change. My 45w charger order is 'In Process' so it will still be a while until I can test it since it hasn't even shipped yet.
How can I tell whether my Samsung 45 watt charger is old or new?

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Well, it's pretty much deceptive advertising on Samsung's part. I forgot the exact article I read but the SamMobile article below pretty much says the same thing...

You have a 45W charger and the phone will handle 45W charging. But the only time you see anywhere near 45W charging is in the front half where the battery is really low as you said. And then basically Samsung is throttling the charging. IMO most likely to prevent high temps.

So they are throttling CPU performance to avoid heat. And they throttle charging even though they advertise 45W charging to avoid heat.

Otherwise, if you have a 45W charger and your phone is capable of 45W charging, then you should be able to take the full benefit of 45W charging from 0 to 100% and not pay the extra money for the 45W charging just to charge your phone 3 minutes faster than if you used your ole 25W charger. :confused:

While you see competitors phones with crazy 120W charger in video going from low to full in minutes. :p

https://www.sammobile.com/news/samsung-unimpressive-45w-charging-is-both-good-and-bad/

This is another of those Samsung threads that comes out with every phone release I think dating back to the Note 10. The phone controls the rate of charge and the 45 watt charger only makes a difference on the front half of the charge cycle if the battery is really low.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Well, it's pretty much deceptive advertising on Samsung's part. I forgot the exact article I read but the SamMobile article below pretty much says the same thing...

You have a 45W charger and the phone will handle 45W charging. But the only time you see anywhere near 45W charging is in the front half where the battery is really low as you said. And then basically Samsung is throttling the charging. IMO most likely to prevent high temps.

So they are throttling CPU performance to avoid heat. And they throttle charging even though they advertise 45W charging to avoid heat.

Otherwise, if you have a 45W charger and your phone is capable of 45W charging, then you should be able to take the full benefit of 45W charging from 0 to 100% and not pay the extra money for the 45W charging just to charge your phone 3 minutes faster than if you used your ole 25W charger. :confused:

While you see competitors phones with crazy 120W charger in video going from low to full in minutes. :p

https://www.sammobile.com/news/samsung-unimpressive-45w-charging-is-both-good-and-bad/

Unfortunately, if they charged at 45w from 0-100, everyone's batteries would explode.

Ya cannie change the laws o' physics.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
And they don't charge at 120w from 0-100, either.

They also use a design which uses multiple cells rather than 1 large cell which comes with it's own drawbacks.

What are the drawbacks? I'm not an expert in it and really didn't care much about it but I have time tonight and doing a little googling I didn't see any articles to show any major disadvantage except mention of possible weight of using dual batteries. If anything I found more mention of advantages of using dual batteries.
https://www.utechbro.com/2021/03/advantage-of-using-dual-battery-in.html

After doing a little searching it sounds like Samsung could provide faster charging by going dual batteries and charging each at safer 25W to 30W to get better performance like the OnePlus 8T getting their claimed 65W charging by charging the two batteries at 33W. That would make paying for a more powerful charger a little more worthwhile.
https://www.androidheadlines.com/2020/10/oneplus-8t-battery-65w-fast-charging.html

120W charging does sound crazy even if you are doing it over two batteries like the above example but if you believe their website, it also sounds like they upgrade their battery tech as well as charging tech. I don't know if Samsung uses the same tech but if not, again probably not to keep cost down on what are not cheap phones anyways.
https://www.mi.com/global/product/xiaomi-11t-pro-120w-xiaomi-hypercharge/

Dunno, just sounding like Samsung can do better but they don't want to spend the money which in turn results in higher phone prices I guess. But they are ok with upselling you a more powerful charger, flip the switch in software to allow 45W charging for a few minutes to say it does, and then throttle it back down where the only advantage is saving some 3-5 minutes.

Some interesting reading tonight though.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
How can I tell whether my Samsung 45 watt charger is old or new?

That's simple. The old 45W charger has the product code:

EP-TA845

The new 45W charger has the product code:

EP-T4510

There is also a brand new 3 port charger that has the product code:

EP-T6530NBEGAU

This one's really interesting. I'm not sure if I'm reading this correct, but apparently charging one device at a time it offers 65W charging max, or 25W or 15W. I'm assuming the S22 Ultra supports 45W max so guessing the 65W charging is for laptops. But the Samsung site states that 65W is for super fast charging with USB-C and PD 2.0/3.0. It also costs a bomb, $100!

But it's a really interesting charger. I can't wait to get mine as part of a pre-order bonus!

Last edited:

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

They mention the multiple battery packs and charging stuff, but what I think is most important in that article is that they are not using standard Li-ion batteries. They are using graphene battery packs, which are a special type of Lipo (basically a dry electrolyte instead of liquid inside) and were developed to withstand what most would consider a dangerously fast charge rate.

I remember hearing about graphene packs when they started coming out for RC vehicles years ago, but this is the first I've heard of them used in phones. Some of the standard charging rules are going to be irrelevant here. It sounds like this is still pretty new for the phone market and consumer charging practices, so other manufacturers are likely to have a wait an see approach. After all, it's standard practice to charge RC batteries in fire safe containers in case they rupture. You want to do that with your phone?

Last edited:

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
After all, it's standard practice to change RC batteries in fire safe containers in case they rupture. You want to do that with your phone?

Is Xiaomi saying to do so?? :confused: If not I guess they have feel confident they have a handle on it. RC batteries using Multiple Tab Winding and using multiple batteries? Charging those RC batteries at 120W?

Well I think my point is... Different applications. And we wouldn't be dealing with changing batteries anyways... Samsung eliminated removable batteries in their smartphone long ago.

But googling graphene batteries it does sound like an interesting technology. In rc applications it says graphene batteries will last 1000 charge cycles vs 300 lipos.

Nice to see some of that tech trickle to smartphones.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrisBowles513