4G LTE just switched on in CT!

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Careful what you wish for. Once it was turned on here in Norwalk, my battery went to hell.

Using the current monitoring widget I see that the average idle current draw goes from around 80ma to 400ma just by turning LTE on.

I now only turn it on as needed because I was only getting a few hours before I needed a charge.

Then you need to do make some adjustments because I've had LTE since launch day and my battery can last pretty much all day.

TowerGuy100

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Then you need to do make some adjustments because I've had LTE since launch day and my battery can last pretty much all day.

That may be true, but that would not explain why the current jumps just by turning 4G on. The only change I make is toggling 4G on and off to get that change in current draw.

Further, I spend my workday with a full scale signal due to the fact that I am about 500 yards from the cell site.

Wmumper

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Don't use the speedtest.net app for testing bandwidth. The upload speed is completely wrong. Use the full speedtest.net site (have to uncheck the mobile option in the browser settings) or use the speakeasy site for a more accurate reading. Better yet, turn on mobile hotpot and test on a laptop.

Yes you are correct. I am sorry for the misinformation regarding speeds. I didnt believe what I was seeing but after several tests back and forth between 3g and LTE it seemed the app was working correctly.

This morning I tested with a laptop connected via the mobile hotspot and consistently get about 12.5Mb down and ~6Mb up.

This seems much more in line with reality.

Last edited:

ryan1972

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Wallingford

I live in Wallingford (Between New Haven and Hartford) and we have 4G in the center of town. It may have something to do with the VZW customer service center located in this town. I was at a restaurant the other day with my sons and fired up the mobile hotspot and they both connected with their iPod Touch's - everyone was happy and browsing faster than they can at home!

Stevez48

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
woke up this morning to 4G!! Milford, ct so I guess, New Haven got it now too!! Woo hoo! Hopefully it stays, but fully expecting them to be turning it on and off for testing... Yay!

Bailarge

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I just drove to East Hartford to get my brakes done and lo and behold I had 4G... it's great but im hoping the signal expands because I live in Manchester and I work in Windsor and I don't get it there. Part of Windsor gets it... Just not where I work. Still... Its nice to have it for now!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana