4G SIM from Bionic works great in Zoom!

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
This is very cool! I have the Bionic with Lapdock and the 4G XOOM (I actually should be my XOOM back from MOTO on Monday). If this continues to be true, I will most definitely cancel my data plan on the XOOM.

Between my Bionic and my wifes Thunderbolt, if we want to use 4G on the XOOM while on the go we can just rob one of our sim cards momentarily.

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I just realized that everyone talking about doing this is taking the SIM from a Bionic. I have a Bionic, but the wifey has a Thunderbolt. I don't see any reason why it would make a difference, but can anyone confirm that a SIM from another 4G phone (preferably a Thunderbolt) works fine in the XOOM, and that the phone works fine without the SIM?

Thanks in advance!

the one and only M

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I just realized that everyone talking about doing this is taking the SIM from a Bionic. I have a Bionic, but the wifey has a Thunderbolt. I don't see any reason why it would make a difference, but can anyone confirm that a SIM from another 4G phone (preferably a Thunderbolt) works fine in the XOOM, and that the phone works fine without the SIM?

Thanks in advance!

Any verizon LTE will should work with any verizon LTE phone/tablet/mifi. There are users who cut their 4G sim so that they can be used in the samsung tab 10.1, which uses the micro sim. 3G should work just as well on the tablet.

the one and only M

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
As I understand it the CDMA identification is also handled by the sim card. You have ONE data plan for 3G and 4G. Remove the sim from your phone and the lte AND cdma/voice service with no longer work. The plan is tied to the sim, not the device it is in.

reishus

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
As I understand it the CDMA identification is also handled by the sim card. You have ONE data plan for 3G and 4G. Remove the sim from your phone and the lte AND cdma/voice service with no longer work. The plan is tied to the sim, not the device it is in.

Are you sure? The original poster said that he was able to use 3g and the phone with his 4g card removed from the phone

freeky1

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Are you sure? The original poster said that he was able to use 3g and the phone with his 4g card removed from the phone

I may be wrong. The 4G definitely works on the Xoom with the 4G card from the Bionic installed. That I know for sure.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I suppose I could pull the sim out of the phone again and put it back into the Xoom, but I really don't like doing it until I find out the repercussions of doing it.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

I may be wrong. The 4G definitely works on the Xoom with the 4G card from the Bionic installed. That I know for sure.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

It sounds like you're not sure that the phone would still work as a phone, when you do this. I don't blame you for not wanting to try it again, until you know for sure. It just seems too good to be true.

I could put my Bionic sim in my Mifi and, go crazy with unlimited data. That would be nice (and fair IMO because I'm still paying for it) but, I don't think Verizon would allow it. It would work but, I may not have the use of my phone, with my phone number; which I have to have working correctly.

If you don't need your phone working as a phone and, just want data, I would say go for it.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site

This is correct. The device worked without a SIM card before because it wasn't actually enabled before. Now it is.

Try removing your SIM card from he Bionic (or any other 4G phone) and see what happens. Same thing as on a GSM phone... you get an error that a SIM card is needed to work. Remove it and you have n connectivity at all outside of Wifi.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
You guys aren't worried that by pointing this out to Verizon, they're going to find a way to keep you from doing it? If it were me, I'd keep it a secret.

It doesn't matter. People try this on GSM carriers all the time (put a SIM card assigned to a basic phone into a smartphone) but it only works short term. Periodically the system checks the IEMI of the device that the SIM card is in and if it a device incompatible with the plan and features the line of service has it changes them.

Just the other day I was talking to a coworker who got the surprise of her life on her last month's AT&T bill -- a smartphone data charge of $25 on her basic messaging phone. Turns out her boyfriend had borrow her SIM card and put it in an old iPhone just long enough to transfer some pics and contacts off the phone but it was long enough for the system to detect it and zap her with the data charges.

This may work for the short term but you are risking loosing your grand parented in unlimited data and getting your account suspended for trying to cheat the system..

akhi216

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't matter. People try this on GSM carriers all the time (put a SIM card assigned to a basic phone into a smartphone) but it only works short term. Periodically the system checks the IEMI of the device that the SIM card is in and if it a device incompatible with the plan and features the line of service has it changes them.

Just the other day I was talking to a coworker who got the surprise of her life on her last month's AT&T bill -- a smartphone data charge of $25 on her basic messaging phone. Turns out her boyfriend had borrow her SIM card and put it in an old iPhone just long enough to transfer some pics and contacts off the phone but it was long enough for the system to detect it and zap her with the data charges.

This may work for the short term but you are risking loosing your grand parented in unlimited data and getting your account suspended for trying to cheat the system..

This is probably why they started throttling...

Has anyone tried to put their 4G sim card that's tied to their Xoom line in their 4G phone?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
For those that want the additional data on their xooms just enable (pay for) the hotspot on your phones and connect it via wifi. That's what I do with my Bionic :)

codered18

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I have unlimited 4G/3G on my BIONIC.

If I take the 4G SIM from the BIONIC and plug that into the XOOM, I get unlimited 4G with the XOOM as this thread had confirmed.

Curious, wouldn't that mean the BIONIC will default back to unlimited 3G. So I can technical be using both the XOOM on 4G and BIONIC on 3G at the same time?

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I have unlimited 4G/3G on my BIONIC.

If I take the 4G SIM from the BIONIC and plug that into the XOOM, I get unlimited 4G with the XOOM as this thread had confirmed.

Curious, wouldn't that mean the BIONIC will default back to unlimited 3G. So I can technical be using both the XOOM on 4G and BIONIC on 3G at the same time?

Both devices are capable of 4G so if you are in 4G area you get 4G but since the SIM card from the Xoom isn't provisioned for voice you would not be able to make calls on your Bionic.

As I stated before it is only a matter of time before you get caught and you will probably loose your unlimited data plan and possibly have your account cancelled. .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174