4G Wimax question.

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
I've been thinking,if wimax really is realitivly similar to wifi,but on a much larger scale,why is it that wimax adds about 300-400mA to the phones already discharging battery.? Like for say,on 4g and web browsing my 3D usually is in between about 300-600mA. Now keep in mind thats how much its using per hour,and on wifi my 3D uses about 100-300mA per hour. If indeed it is similar,why the drastic battery drainage?

Vladabeast

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
It's because WiFi generally runs a a 2.4ghz frequency while Sprints Wimax runs on a 1900mhz which is a less efficient spectrum. Which also explains why if your deep in a building or in a room with a metal ceiling you won't get 4G. But Sprints LTE will run on a 800mhz which can penetrate even if your in a basement

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D

jalbrant

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
It's because WiFi generally runs a a 2.4ghz frequency while Sprints Wimax runs on a 1900mhz which is a less efficient spectrum. Which also explains why if your deep in a building or in a room with a metal ceiling you won't get 4G. But Sprints LTE will run on a 800mhz which can penetrate even if your in a basement

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D

Sprint lte won't run on 800mhz until next summer at the earliest. Iden won't be retired until next June. The frequency doesn't matter as much add the transmit power which is correlated to the distance and interference. In fact higher frequency would probably require more power due to higher click rates required in the microprocessors.

moonpie28

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I think the simple answer is your EVO has to transmit a signal up to a mile (for example) vs. a hundred feet for your router. If you want to talk to your friend in the same room, or if he's down the block don't you have to shout louder? Use more energy?

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Utah_Utes_Man

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
I think the simple answer is your EVO has to transmit a signal up to a mile (for example) vs. a hundred feet for your router. If you want to talk to your friend in the same room, or if he's down the block don't you have to shout louder? Use more energy?

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

True true.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raykv23