5.1.1 Battery Life

5point0

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
I have owned my nexus 6 since the end of December was was loving it until 5.1.1 was downloaded last month. Now I am really paranoid something is wrong with my battery.

Before 5.1.1 a single charge would last 2 days. This would be with medium use approximately 2 hours internet use, a few phone calls, emails are pushed, locations set to battery saving mode, fit would be on, I would also have Google now on, weather 1 widget and Google news stand widget on, Bluetooth on most of the day.

After 5.1.1 I am experiencing approximately 3% battery loss and hour without any use, sometimes more. I can get just under 1 1/2 days use out of a single charge (battery saving mode turned on at 25%) this is with locations set to device only, news stand widget removed, fit disabled, 1 weather on, emails and phone calls as before, no internet use. I have looked at the battery stats removed updates of Google play / services and reinstalled etc and no improvements.

Is this normal or is there something wrong with my battery? I have spoken to Google and done a factory reset, this did not change anything. I have cleared the cahe of all the apps, that's done nothing. Spoken to Motorola they said send it back to them, and they will run some tests. I don't really want to send it to them for the risk of it being damaged in the post for nothing. I hear there customer service is not great.

Is this battery life normal?

Posted via the Android Central App

RonW3

Jun 14, 2015
Visit site
I've been on 5.1.1 only a few days. I haven't noticed anything like this so far.
That's troubling.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
After 5.1.1 I am experiencing approximately 3% battery loss and hour without any use, sometimes more. I can get just under 1 1/2 days use out of a single charge (battery saving mode turned on at 25%) this is with locations set to device only, news stand widget removed, fit disabled,

You might want to read through the posts in the thread below and look for Bregol's posts about Fit causing problems. I don't remember now if he posted a fix or not.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-6/541312-google-play-services-eating-battery.html

5point0

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. I have already looked at these posts, I have disabled fit, reinstalled Google play etc. I don't have and wear products for my phone to connect to either.
What sort of battery life are you getting? What settings do you have selected?

Last edited:

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
First things first, you probably don't want to go by me because I don't use my N6 very heavily; it's primarily just my phone since I have no landline at home. I don't use it as an entertainment center, and I don't even pay much attenention to notifications (even though I have apps set to push them) since I don't get a lot of messages or incoming calls every day.

That said, my battery stats have been pretty good lately. If I never left my apartment, where I have a 100% cell signal and a strong wifi signal, they'd very likely be better. My last full charge was 1 day + 18 hours ago. With no additional time spent on the charger (i.e., no partial refills), my battery is still at 47% with an estimated 1 day and 20 hours left.

But again, I don't use the phone much. I doubt that I've even logged in two hours of internet use on the phone in any given month.

These are the items I currently have disabled:

Location Off
NFC Off
Sync Gmail Off
Battery Saver Off
Fit disabled

I use Nova Launcher instead of the Google Now launcher, and I use the News 360 app, not Google Newsstand. I keep my display at maybe 90% brightness (adaptive brightness and ambient display are both On). I keep Bluetooth off unless I'm in my car, and at work, where I get a lousy cell signal and no usable wifi connection, I turn wifi off as well.

I do not use any of those free apps that claim to monitor your battery or improve its performance or clear your cache or tell you what your CPU's temperature is because they are all garbage, and they probably do more to drain a battery than maintain one.

You may, however, want to check out a free app called CPU Spy, which only displays the time your CPU spends in any given frequency state, especially "deep sleep." If your CPU isn't spending the majority of its time in deep sleep, then you'll know that either you or some apps/services are keeping it awake.

Good luck & enjoy your phone.

danielson2047

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I do not use any of those free apps that claim to monitor your battery or improve its performance or clear your cache or tell you what your CPU's temperature is because they are all garbage, and they probably do more to drain a battery than maintain one.

I don't necessarily agree with that. A lot are extremely helpful in diagnosing a problem ;)

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I don't necessarily agree with that. A lot are extremely helpful in diagnosing a problem

A few of them may be, but I doubt that "a lot" of them are, especially the ones that push ads on every page after the home screen. And I'll grant you that if people uninstalled them after diagnosing, then they couldn't do any harm.

Unfortunately, those apps do more to encourage people to believe they need to micromanage their phones than anything, so they end up checking the battery saver app multiple times a day or clearing cache at least once a day because they believe that will make their phones faster.

5point0

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Thank you, I will try CPU Spy. The other thing is that since 5.1.1 I have reduced my screen brightness down from 50% to 30%.
At this rate it looks like I will be sending it back, its safer to do this while the phone is under warranty.
At home I get 4G with the signal varying between 60 to 100% depending on which room I am in. However the signal strength has not changed since 5.1.1.

bkircher

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Thank you, I will try CPU Spy. The other thing is that since 5.1.1 I have reduced my screen brightness down from 50% to 30%.
At this rate it looks like I will be sending it back, its safer to do this while the phone is under warranty.
At home I get 4G with the signal varying between 60 to 100% depending on which room I am in. However the signal strength has not changed since 5.1.1.

Hey if u do end up sending it back, please let me know if the problem goes away or not.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm not a heavy user by any means but battery life for me is better with 5.1.1 than on previous builds. Stand by time has been especially good with 5..1.1

akento

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

There are some that tells me that after updating the 5.1.1 (lollipop) the battery went draining really fast.

for the meantime, the best turn around for this issue is to try to charge the phone upto 100% then disable all the apps setting (wifi, data etc.) then monitor for 1 whole day.
you can also try to monitor the phone in SAFE mode to make sure if the apps / phone is the issue or some downloaded apps.

Hope this helps.
Peace Out!

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
I don't necessarily agree with that. A lot are extremely helpful in diagnosing a problem ;)

Not really.. What those apps may deem as a problem may just be permissions and other tasks. Since those apps aren't so signed by people who made Android I would think the margin of error is not positive.

5point0

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
So I installed CPU spy and overnight I got 97% on deep sleep. During this time 25% of my battery disappeared.
I have disabled all apps, stopped Google now, stopped locations, and will stop data. Will charge the phone tonight and see how long it lasts.
Thank you for the replies. I would still be interested in how long peoples batteries have been lasting without any top ups.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
So I installed CPU spy and overnight I got 97% on deep sleep. During this time 25% of my battery disappeared.
I have disabled all apps, stopped Google now, stopped locations, and will stop data. Will charge the phone tonight and see how long it lasts.
Thank you for the replies. I would still be interested in how long peoples batteries have been lasting without any top ups.

Definitely let us know how it goes. You shouldn't have to delete all those core apps just to get the battery life you were receiving previously before the update. Aside from the battery, how are you liking the update?

bkircher

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Here is what my current cycle looks like. Terrible. Bravo is a work app. There has to be a way to boost my signal. I live in the middle of Phoenix. Is it a possibility that if I were to get this device replaced that a newer device might help?

Attachments

• 1436812034959.jpg
    1436812034959.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 1436812043995.jpg
    1436812043995.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 52

buris456

May 21, 2015
Visit site
There is a lot of apps that can fix your problem...i suggest you to try new app that call WiseApp really nice way to find your apps i found like 6 i really needed.

5point0

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
So after turning off all the data, then fully charging the phone the battery life was exactly the same. I phoned Motorola and arranged for the phone to be sent back and repaired.
Just over a week later I have received the phone in the same condition I sent it (no extra scratches etc), with a note stating the battery and some screws had been replaced.
I charged to phone overnight and the first time it lasted 2 1/2 days with a fair bit of use. It is such an improvement.
To be honest I haven't noticed a massive difference with the 5.1.1 update. Prior to it I didn't have any crashing or battery issues. The battery issues only started after the update, although I'm not sure if it was the update that affected the battery or just a dodgy battery. The phone works perfect now.
Thanks for all the replies.

anon(9676543)

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
If anyone is experiencing the same battery drain problem since the 5.1.1 update like I did, you can uninstall the update to Google Play Store and it will extend the life of your battery. Apparently there is a glitch with the way that app operates since the last 5.1.1 update.

Go to Settings, Apps, All, scroll to Google Play Store and tap it, then choose the option to uninstall updates.

My phone has a significantly better battery life now since the last 5.1.1 update now that I uninstalled those updates.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
driodPixel