5a 5g on T-Mobile or Verizon?

beantownsouth

Dec 14, 2020
Visit site
Since Verizon shut off the calling capability on my wife's Nokia Icon yesterday , it's time for a new phone. Since I absolutely love my Pixel 5, I just bought her the 5a 5g. I know there are some issues with the 5a on Verizon and I'm considering leaving Verizon anyways, do to some of there less than stellar customer service issues. Can anyone tell me if the 5a works on T-Mobile? Will the CDMA less be an issue? Really looking forward to the 5a. I have a Spigen Rugged Armor case on the way for it. We'll be a Pixel only home from here on out.

Thanks for your help!

jeffoffline

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
I'm technically with Fi but haven't seen my phone roam off of T-mobile since i got it. I get better coverage than I did on my LG G7. As far as CDMA goes i can't see how that would be an issue with any phone made recently. T-mobile didn't use CDMA and the legacy CDMA network they acquired via Sprint is being shutdown at the end of the year.

beantownsouth

Dec 14, 2020
Visit site
I'm technically with Fi but haven't seen my phone roam off of T-mobile since i got it. I get better coverage than I did on my LG G7. As far as CDMA goes i can't see how that would be an issue with any phone made recently. T-mobile didn't use CDMA and the legacy CDMA network they acquired via Sprint is being shutdown at the end of the year.

Jeff, just wanted to thank you for the info. As of Yesterday both our Pixel 5 and Pixel 5A are on T-Mobile and working fine. Bye bye Verizon and good riddance!

THEPRFCT10

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm on TMobile and it works flawlessly, even the limitation with 5g apparently doesn't apply to TMobile because they don't use that band.

beantownsouth

Dec 14, 2020
Visit site
I'm on TMobile and it works flawlessly, even the limitation with 5g apparently doesn't apply to TMobile because they don't use that band.

We dumped Verizon last Sunday and are now on T-Mobile. We never had 5G in our house on Verizon even thou it could connect to the Nation wide 5G network. I had to walk out on our back porch to get it. Now on T-Moble, both my P5 and my wifes P5a get T-mobiles 5G all the time in our home. Verizons 5G mm wave network would do us no good any ways as we live out in the sticks. My concern with her P5a and Verizon was the texting issues as her phone is a CDMA less phone. We're very happy with T-mobile!

Last edited:

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
For the record, the Pixel 5a IMEIs when run in the VZW system shows the phone as non-compatible and can’t be officially activated or supported in the VZW system. I’m aware of steps to jump through hoops but I was attempting to just test 5G network compared with Google Fi coverage including 5G or AT&T coverage “real 5G” so not something I want to waste time doing. Just thought I’d post in thread for posterity.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar