A link randomly appeared in my text message?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I sent a plain text text message and some of the words became a gps hyperlink. When i clicked on it, it asked to load in any given maps app. It took me to some company I've never heard of, half way across the planet, whose name happened to be two of the words I wrote. I then sent the same words to the same person as a test, and it did it again.

"None of them fit well in their bags". From the O in "none" to the N in "in", it's underlined, linking to some gym chain called Fit Well in ENGLAND.

I couldn't even conceive of how to word this issue to find an answer in a regular search, so I hope someone here can help me.

My phone is a LG Q7+, if it matters.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Which phone?
Which version of android?
Which carrier?
Which SMS app?

If your SMS app allows you to turn off "make URLs clickable", that will solve the problem, but it will cause all of the URLs to be unclickable.

joegt123

Sep 6, 2019
Visit site
Hi, this is my question, just registered.

LG Q7+
8.1.0 (outdated, I'm sure)
T-Mobile
Standard messaging app. Doesn't have any other name.

This has never happened before, nothing has changed recently that would enable this to occur. It seems a totally random thing, except for the fact that the same text produced the same result when tested, two days later. I looked through the settings and couldn't find anything that particularly said "we're gonna throw our advertising garbage into your text messages, kthx". Though, even then, that doesn't really seem to be the case, as it only appears on MY phone. Not the person I sent it to, who's using a... Note 10? I think.

Not sure if I should repost the question or not.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi, this is my question, just registered.

LG Q7+
8.1.0 (outdated, I'm sure)
T-Mobile
Standard messaging app. Doesn't have any other name.

This has never happened before, nothing has changed recently that would enable this to occur. It seems a totally random thing, except for the fact that the same text produced the same result when tested, two days later. I looked through the settings and couldn't find anything that particularly said "we're gonna throw our advertising garbage into your text messages, kthx". Though, even then, that doesn't really seem to be the case, as it only appears on MY phone. Not the person I sent it to, who's using a... Note 10? I think.

Not sure if I should repost the question or not.
Hi,welcome!
No your good here.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
No, I can't even get a single Google hit on "one of them fit well in". I'd contact the developer of the text app (LG? Google? Someone else?) and let them know, including all the information you included here - the original text, the part underlined and a link to the screenshot.

It's an interesting thing to try to debug, especially since it seems to be repeatable on demand (which is the first step to fixing a software bug). They may know that there's a bug somewhere but can't reproduce it, so this may give them the information they need. (We had one that we couldn't reproduce for 6 months, until a customer told us how to produce it every time. Then it took 5 minutes to find it and fix it [it turned out to be a typo - everyone read what he expected to read, so we all missed it].)

joegt123

Sep 6, 2019
Visit site
It's a text that *I* sent to a contact. Regular text, that I wrote, randomly had a clickable link in it. No 3rd party apps or messager services involved. This is the default text app on the phone.
My app doesn't have a text link feature that I can see, but i could be missing it. I haven't installed any questionable apps, certainly not recently. How do I run safemode on an android?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It's a text that *I* sent to a contact. Regular text, that I wrote, randomly had a clickable link in it. No 3rd party apps or messager services involved. This is the default text app on the phone.
My app doesn't have a text link feature that I can see, but i could be missing it. I haven't installed any questionable apps, certainly not recently. How do I run safemode on an android?
Try Google messages or different keyboard

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe