A little Flippin' disappointed....

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
So I had to "start" a factory reset on my Flip 3 two nights ago (start being the key word), because it had some glitches that came along with the last update that I couldn't get rid of. I figured the reset would fix it up all shiny and new right? Whoa, hold on there cowboy, not so fast!! This is a Samsung update we're talking about :eek:

The reset did seem to eventually fix the problem... but not before 2 nights of pure frustration and multiple resets, trying to figure out why the wi-fi decided to quit working on the Flip, and after I finally figured out a wi-fi workaround, why I then couldn't log into my Samsung account, and why the play store was repeatedly locking up trying to update apps, overheating the phone, and crashing.

My wi-fi is now partially broken from the last updates... when I factory reset it no longer connects during the setup, you have to skip wi-fi connecting, and skip through everything that needs wi-fi until you get into the phone home screen itself, where it magically connects instantly, and takes you back through the setup process again, where you can't sign in to your Samsung account because of some unspecified error :-\

But after hours of fun and resets I got lucky, the stars aligned, the wi-fi worked, my Samsung account let me sign in, and I shut down the play store as fast as I could before it went into the auto update loop from hell, cleared the data and forced stopped it, turned off auto updates, and manually updated everything.

I can honestly say that was the worst experience, bar none, that I've ever had with a phone. I could have set both our new pixel 6's up in half the time I spent on that Flippin' Flip :(

It's a shame because the hardware and build quality screams premium, and it's a joy to carry. But the crappy software updates, and Google and Samsung accounts and apps fighting over the phone, just make it a mess to deal with when something goes wrong.

In hindsight I should have focused on setting up my pixel 6 Pro, and let the Flip take a well earned time out in the corner :mad: But I wanted to make sure I had time to return it under warranty and get a refurbished problem child before the warranty expired lol.

So I hope someone gets some useful info from this regarding their Flip.. or at least a warning ;)

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
@mustang7757 Do you have any advice here?

I've never experienced this problem on my S10+, Tab S6 Lite, or S22 Ultra.

I really like the Flip, and it's truly a joy to use... it's fast, smooth, beautiful display, and feels like you're holding a little gem of a folding phone. But for me the last software updates really trashed the software on it. But the work I invested seems to have paid off, it seems to be glitch free at the moment... but I haven't put my SIM card back in it yet or left our home wi-fi. Fingers crossed :eek: ;)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Sounds like a issue with home WiFi
Try resetting network in setting>general management>reset >reset network
If still persist reboot your home router even if connects to other devices

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Sounds like a issue with home WiFi
Try resetting network in setting>general management>reset >reset network
If still persist reboot your home router even if connects to other devices

Good suggestions.. those are the only 2 things I didn't do. My wife works from home later hours sometimes, so I wasn't able to restart our internet. What's strange is my Flip was connected to our wi-fi and working fine (except for the update glitches) right before the factory reset, then 5 minutes later when I was trying to set it back up it wouldn't connect. It's connected now, and I turned it on and off a bunch of times to test it and it's connecting like normal.

I'll definitely be trying both those things if I have any more issues though. I figured I'd tried everything, and of course you still had some good suggestions I missed.... you're pretty handy to have around :p ;) Thanks :D

I'll be honest I figured the update to 12 was corrupted from the way it was acting :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol