Abandoning the Incredible to Wait for Droid X

aplittle

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I love my Inc, but I would have to play with the MOTO before I could say if I would bail on the Inc. from the pics I have seen I would say no, I really like the sleek light weigh of the Inc.

Aaron

kev83202

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I loved the moto droid, all exept how damn heavy it was in my pocket. The incredible is so much lighter and feels way smaller. I just thing the X is going to be way bigger then I would want. I'll be checking it out when they are in store though.

IncredibleLane

May 13, 2010
Visit site
You would have to pry the Incredible out of my cold, dead hands to get it away from me. I can admire and appreciate other hardware, but the Incredible seems like it was custom made for me.

(Also, I'm a Motorola hater... they make such ugly products imo)

drfundy

May 10, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't want to go much bigger than my inc. I think I will have it until htc releases an lte android phone for verizon.

Raven#AC

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm glad to say with my Incredible and hoping that others jump ship so that mine comes sooner. :p

It took me three different tries, but finally, today they "put in a note" to cancel my Incredible order. I have no idea why they wouldn't let me before. They wanted me to get it then return it if I didn't like it. That's crazy considering that shortage of all phones with AMOLED.

Raven#AC

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
HTC has been producing great products. I have never been impressed by Motorola.

How can you even compare the two? Motorola's been making communication equipment since the 1920's playing a prominent part in World War II. HTC has only been around since the late 1990's. All companies have ups and downs, but HTC's success is only because of Motorola's, and other's mistakes. I mean, really, in 50 years, who do you think will still be here? Not me, and maybe not you, but more than likely, Motorola.

All companies have to readjust for the times, but just because Motorola has made a few mis-steps doesn't make them all bad. Apparently, the Droid is just what they needed to once again make them relevant. From what I can see, they're going all in or nothing and not forgetting anything on their Droids. They're made from metal, w/ Gorilla Glass and are using the most updated components.

HTC hasn't been around long enough to earn that honor. They made one phone, the N1 that's a hit, but can they continue? We shall see.

BTW, I have never owned a Moto or an HTC so I have not allegiance to either. I ordered an Incredible, because I heard it was just that, but while waiting did some research and decided that waiting for Moto's next Droid would be well worth having a little patience. My reason is because as someone who lives in FL which means all tiles floors in my house and everywhere I go, I find it hard to believe I won't drop my phone for the next 20 mos and need to replace it; but with Gorilla Glass being available and in use, my phone may have a fighting chance. If the Incredible used Gorilla Glass, I would've continued with my order and I'm sure, perfectly happy and loving my phone, but after the first drop, I can see myself getting pissed that I didn't wait 2 mos.

Last edited:

drfundy

May 10, 2010
Visit site
That's odd every thread I've found so far starts out with someone saying it uses gorilla glass and ends with that being debunked.

Joelist

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Where to start....

1) Metal is NOT a necessity to be "solidly built". My Incredible feels VERY solid, no squeaks, no creaks. And it has a good weight and size.

2) The Incredible screen is gorilla glass.

3) Acting like HTC was a nobody until it made the N1 is total silliness. They have been around since the 90's and before they made phones under their own brand made a lot of very high selling phones for carriers under their OEM badge. Then there are phones like the Touch, the Diamond, Touch Pro, XV series and so on and so on.

drfundy

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Really. I read one thread with a post that has an email from an htc rep claiming it is and in later posts more emails from reps claiming it isn't.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Really. I read one thread with a post that has an email from an htc rep claiming it is and in later posts more emails from reps claiming it isn't.

Incredible using Gorilla Glass? HTC says so... - Android Forums

New Protective Displays from Gorilla Glass

Those are only two examples. I think the general conception is that it does use it. Most of the high end Androids seems to use it, like the Moto Droid etc. I don't know for a fact that it does but everything I have read about it says it does.

Raven#AC

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
The Incredible does use Gorilla Glass. According to HTC.. Great job on your research. And for giving an opinion on two phones you've never owned.

It's funny you should mention that because I got a call today from someone with HTC who was calling as a follow up to my email inquiring about the use of Gorilla Glass. One of his questions was, "How important is the use of Gorilla Glass in making your decision to purchase or not to purchase?" Now why would he ask me that if they already used it? And if it was on the Incredible, why wouldn't he tell me?

As for me giving "my opinion" on two phones that I've never owned on a thread titled, "Abandoning the Incredible to Wait for Droid X." Well, if we aren't weighing our opinions on the pros and cons of each, what's this thread/forum for? Do you own both? Besides, both phones have great components, it's what's protecting those components that I have issue with. Given the choice, and I do have the choice, I'd prefer my excellent components protected by aluminum and Gorillla Glass over plastic and plastic layered glass.

In any case, what I did say was it wasn't fair to knock an 82 y/o company by comparing it to a 13 y/o company. Motorola has had some great products, as does HTC, but HTC hasn't stood the test of time. All companies have highs and lows. HTC is on a high while Motorola is coming out of a low. When HTC goes low, let's see if it comes back and produce competitive products before we can call it greater than. Right now they're the new toy for Xmas that everyone wants to have. Meanwhile, have you seen this? What do you think it'll look like in Sept?
Android Devices: Droid Dominant, Evo Catches Nexus – Chitika Research

Raven#AC

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
This is my response from HTC on Gorilla Glass. You be the judge:

Thank you for taking the time to contact HTC America Technical Support via E-Mail. I apologize for any inconvenience this issue has caused you. The information you are seeking regarding the type of glass manufactured for our products is proprietary between HTC and the contracts we have with our manufacturers. If you would like more information regarding your device you can go to HTC Mobile Phones - Product Support - Smartphones Help and select your device from the drop down. Thank you for contacting HTC America Technical Support. Please feel free to contact us again if you have any future questions. Also, I would like to invite you to participate in a customer satisfaction survey located at HTC Online Survey.

If you take the survey and leave your number you should get a call back like I did.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
(snip...)I ordered the Droid Incredible on June 6th. I'm not expecting it to be at my door until June 28th. By then, it would be less than 3 weeks before a 'better' Android device is on the market. So do I wait the three weeks, get a more powerful device, and deal with the lack of portability? Or do I stick with a phone-sized phone? (...snip)
Thanks

I ordered about the same time as you and expecting it the same time to :p . I am sticiking with that lol .I had a couple motorola screen burn outs so not crazy about them

Last edited:

Raven#AC

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Incredible using Gorilla Glass? HTC says so... - Android Forums

New Protective Displays from Gorilla Glass

Those are only two examples. I think the general conception is that it does use it. Most of the high end Androids seems to use it, like the Moto Droid etc. I don't know for a fact that it does but everything I have read about it says it does.

I've seen that email and after getting my reply, I wonder if someone just typed it in there especially the statement, "Gorilla Glass is an unscratchable, unshatterable material." Well, that's not true, it's just harder to shatter or scratch.

The second link with the Dell Streak just shows HTC phones sitting there, but I haven't seen any that said it has the same glass, nor have I seen any similar tests. I have seen the Incredible shattered and a Droid shattered. They seem to shatter differently. That's what made me believe that they aren't the same glass.

Whatever the case. I hope I'm wrong. If HTC uses GG that gives me one more choice. The material for that large glass screen is my concern, the body being plastic or aluminum is of less concern although the replies to this guy dropping his phone are pretty funny.

Quick Tip: Don’t Drop Your Droid Incredible | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

nyc_rock

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
The only reason I am considering dumping the incredible is battery life. I have until June 26th to make my decision. If I even sniff a software update to address it I am staying put. The X and the Evo are just too big. Im not convinced these 4.3 slate/phone hybrids wont wind up being a niche market anyway.