About red circle with a white "X" on the screen

marica66

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site
Hello,
I apologize in advance for my english.
Today in the center on my phone appear red circle with a white "X" in it.

111.jpg
Any idea how to remove it?
I tried to stop all programs that were released, one by one, but it did not help.
Appears when you turn off the screen by pressing or during and reactivate the phone.
While not close the "X" I can not run any application.
Thank you in advance to all!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Which device do you have? Have you tried rebooting it? It's not clear to me if you have yet, from what you said.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Same problem. There is a red circle with white X appearing on the screen of my phone every time i unlock my phone. It's so annoying, what will i do?

Welcome to Android Central! Did you happen to read my post just above yours? Tell us your device, and if you've tried rebooting.

My suspicion is that it's a remnant of some adware popup that might have been installed along with some other app or game.

annakukreja

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi...i am facing the same problem on my micromax a69. I tried rebooting, separately closed all running apps...but no use, the problem still exist. Please advice..

patricia ferrer

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
My phone is flare s2 and like what they did i also stop all the apps running but it's still appearing. No, my device is not yet reboot. Pls i need some advice if how can we fix it. Is it virus? Or what so ever :(

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Try booting your devices into Safe Mode, which disables all 3rd party apps. If the problem goes away, then something you installed is causing the problem. To get into Safe Mode on most devices:

1. While on, press and hold the Power button until you get the Power menu.
2. Press and hold the Power Off selection until you get the Safe Mode Prompt.
3. Tap Ok, and the device will boot into Safe Mode.
4. To get out of Safe Mode, reboot normally.

For the Galaxy S2, follow these steps: Safe mode: Samsung Galaxy S II | T-Mobile Support

Manju06

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
hi, I tried to boot my phone in safe mode and the problem wasn't there (red circle did not appear). i have not installed any app in last few days, could you confirm how to check which app might be creating the problem?
And also, what needs to be done after uninstalling the app?

Thanks,

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, there's no way to pinpoint which app is responsible--once you're out of Safe Mode, you may have to uninstall apps one by one until it goes away. I'd start with games first, since those are the most likely to come with adware.

tandy1204

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Try any of the following to kill "x" icon:
1. Click on ‘Recent Apps’ hot key and see the list of running apps. Here you can see picture of an app with red ‘x’ icon. Long press that app and click on ‘App info’ and select ‘Force stop’. Now remove this app from recent Apps to remove the 'x" icon.
2. Go to ‘Phone Settings’ and click the ‘System Update’ app. In the app setting screen, click ‘Clear data’ to remove the red cross.

I tried both and don't remember how my problem was resolved. Kindly share your results whether problem is getting resolved or not and with which option?

Last edited:

Manju06

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
When i check recent apps, it shows software update. And the process which is running software update service in com.redbend.dmclient. I tried to stop the service but it appears again.
Force stopped the main service and disabled the notification, the red cross isn't appearing now. Hope stopping this app doesn't cause any other trouble.

Thanks Tandy1204 and B. Diddy

Last edited:

BidishaSarkar706

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
Hello. I am facing the same problem on my micromax canvas 2 colours a120. Could you let me know if clear data option for software update does any harm. I have been forcing stop the software update since August 2014. Please help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance