About saturation and camera performance.

SenenCito

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys,
I currently own a Evo 3d which I like very much, but has the absolute worst camera so im looking at alternatives in the Galaxy touch and the Photon 4G. Some background info, im a photographer so im very picky about what the camera can do, and what is shown on the screen.

I went to the sprint store with the evo 3d, my friend's photon 4g, my other phone a droid 3 and an ipad all for comparisons purposes, and im saddened to say the galaxy suffers from the same problem as the galaxy tab 10.1 where it blows up the saturation to unreal levels.

Besides the overblown saturation I really reall like the phone, so I wanted to ask if anyone knows a way to fix this? Also, how is the camera performance in comparison to the photon 4g?

madkaw

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
As far as performance, I think it is the best performing camera on any cell phone to date. It opens super fast and snaps very fast. Some reviews say it is better than the iphone camera. Unfortunately I have to admit although I hate apple there camera on the iphone is/was far superior to most all cameras on phones. So for this one to receive such glowing reviews should say something. I understand it is the same camera on the att infuse and everyone raves about it also. Depending on the setting of the display screen it will make the camera seem over saturated when it is actually not. Look at a pic on a calibrated monitor and you will see it is very close to the real thing. I found my evo way more saturated than this phone. I bought my wife a ipad 2 for internet surfing and the camera on the epic touch blows that thing away.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
im saddened to say the galaxy suffers from the same problem as the galaxy tab 10.1 where it blows up the saturation to unreal levels.
I can't vouch for the Galaxy Tab, but are you sure the amped up saturation is from the camera or from the SAMOLED plus screen? Did you view these pictures on a regular monitor or just on the phone? I've taken picture of my kids both inside and outside and don't see any sort of red push to them on FB or whatnot.

iSlackerz

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,
I... and im saddened to say the galaxy suffers from the same problem as the galaxy tab 10.1 where it blows up the saturation to unreal levels.

Besides the overblown saturation I really reall like the phone, so I wanted to ask if anyone knows a way to fix this? Also, how is the camera performance in comparison to the photon 4g?

The over saturation is most likely due to the display which (thankfully) Samsung has included a way to tone it down a bit. If you go to Settings > Display > Screen mode you can turn the setting down to 'Movie', which tones the saturation down a bit. It still leaves things, IMO, nicely over saturated rather than cartoonishly over saturated, though your tastes may differ. I'd say give that a shot and see how you like it.

Also, as someone else noted, I haven't seen any significant over saturation when viewed on my computer monitor.

Lastly, the Photon 4G takes decent photos. But the Epic 4G Touch takes superior pics. The number of controls in the camera application is better too. I wish the anti-shake was a little better but that can be, mostly, negated by resting ones elbows on something stable. The flash isn't worth too much but can help in the right situations and recording in both 720p and 1080p is by far the best I've seen on any phone, to date.

My 2 cents.

SenenCito

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I can't vouch for the Galaxy Tab, but are you sure the amped up saturation is from the camera or from the SAMOLED plus screen? Did you view these pictures on a regular monitor or just on the phone? I've taken picture of my kids both inside and outside and don't see any sort of red push to them on FB or whatnot.

maybe I wrote my text wrong, when I mention the saturation it's on everything displayed on the screen. A lot of times I meet people on the street or on events and the only thing I have to show them my work is the phone, can't show them photos where people look almost like oompa loompas

The over saturation is most likely due to the display which (thankfully) Samsung has included a way to tone it down a bit. If you go to Settings > Display > Screen mode you can turn the setting down to 'Movie', which tones the saturation down a bit. It still leaves things, IMO, nicely over saturated rather than cartoonishly over saturated, though your tastes may differ. I'd say give that a shot and see how you like it.

Also, as someone else noted, I haven't seen any significant over saturation when viewed on my computer monitor.

Lastly, the Photon 4G takes decent photos. But the Epic 4G Touch takes superior pics. The number of controls in the camera application is better too. I wish the anti-shake was a little better but that can be, mostly, negated by resting ones elbows on something stable. The flash isn't worth too much but can help in the right situations and recording in both 720p and 1080p is by far the best I've seen on any phone, to date.

My 2 cents.

Ok this is very very good, thanks for the feedback, im going to visit another sprint store and see how it looks with the saturation toned down. Such a shame that in the quest for a more colorful screen samsung has gone overboard with everything, it's also the reason I didn't buy a galaxy tab even thought I loved it.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
maybe I wrote my text wrong, when I mention the saturation it's on everything displayed on the screen. A lot of times I meet people on the street or on events and the only thing I have to show them my work is the phone, can't show them photos where people look almost like oompa loompas
So this isn't an actual camera issue. In any case, it's a shame that there aren't saturation, hue, contrast and brightness controls for the screen. It would be cool to get a color analyzer and ISF calibrate the screen!

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
This is my biggest issue with the phone. I'm a photographer, too. Went into the store and loaded the SD card from my Evo into the Epic Touch. Yuck... pinks, greens, orange, reds are blown out to "Epic" proportions. Even turning down the screen mode to "movie" didn't help a bit... I'm betting that only affects video playback, because I couldn't see much of a difference.

Then to add insult to injury, the photos taken with the camera are UNDER-saturated when viewed on a normal monitor. I guess they had to do that to make them look normal in the phone.

The result for me is that this phone is a mess for anyone who wants to get a realistic view of images on the phone. What I want to do is to take pictures on my DSLR, which records to both CF and SD (microSD in an adapter). I then load the SD into the phone which the Epic Touch does nicely without having to reboot. But images on the phone look awful and unrealistic with no way I can find to fix things.

So there you have it. Over-saturated colors so people say "Wow!" looking at the cartoon icons. Of course, that messes with photos, but they intentionally under-saturate them so they look normal. In the end, if you're a purist photo-buff, you either have to set the photos the way they'll look right when uploaded somewhere else and never view on-screen on the phone, or post-process everything after taken from the phone. No thanks.

Nikon or Canon... please consult with a phone manufacturer soon. These guys have no clue. HTC is close if they ever produce a phone with a decent camera... which they're threatening to do lately with phones like the Amaze 4G. Doesn't look like there's a Samsung camera in my future at this point unless someone figures out how to get this right.

iSlackerz

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Even turning down the screen mode to "movie" didn't help a bit... I'm betting that only affects video playback, because I couldn't see much of a difference.

This is definitely not true. Changing the display mode between Dynamic, Standard and Movie absolutely makes a readily apparent difference, even to the untrained eye.

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
This is definitely not true. Changing the display mode between Dynamic, Standard and Movie absolutely makes a readily apparent difference, even to the untrained eye.

It may make a slight difference, but anybody who thinks this nullifies the ridiculous over-saturation is fooling themselves. I saw it for myself. You cannot turn off the saturation. If you say you can, you're lying.

dguidry12

Banned
Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
My honest opinion.. The Photon camera is very very good but the Epic Touch is very slightly better at night (still). However, even though the Epic Touch has 1080p recording the video quality from the Photon is much better. What makes the Photon so much better is because the Epic Touch's audio while recording video is absolutley horrid.. just search on youtube and you will see for yourself..The Photon is better than the Epic.

dguidry12

Banned
Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
It may make a slight difference, but anybody who thinks this nullifies the ridiculous over-saturation is fooling themselves. I saw it for myself. You cannot turn off the saturation. If you say you can, you're lying.

Lol..you seem to notice that people do lie about their products on these forums too huh?? lol thats shameful

iSlackerz

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site

You're a little too serious there cowboy. Let's not put words at my finger tips that were never typed. I never said it can be turned off. I said it does make a difference.

It's ok for someone to have a opinion that's different from yours, it doesn't mean I'm lying.

ajbrickyard

May 16, 2010
Visit site
My honest opinion.. The Photon camera is very very good but the Epic Touch is very slightly better at night (still). However, even though the Epic Touch has 1080p recording the video quality from the Photon is much better. What makes the Photon so much better is because the Epic Touch's audio while recording video is absolutley horrid.. just search on youtube and you will see for yourself..The Photon is better than the Epic.

I agree 100% on that when I compare the videos I took with my Photon and the ones I took with my ET4G the audio difference is night and day but video quality goes to the ET4G.

Sent From My Samsung SPH-D710 Sprint Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch Using Tapatalk

error4o4

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Dang folks...

Its a cell phone. Its a cell phone with a damn good camera.

To accuse me (or others and/or indirectly) of lying about performance is just bad taste. Of course its not a DSLR or even a high end P&S. Look at what you're working with here and have realistic expectations.

Reactions: YBCold

SenenCito

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Dang folks...

Its a cell phone. Its a cell phone with a damn good camera.

To accuse me (or others and/or indirectly) of lying about performance is just bad taste. Of course its not a DSLR or even a high end P&S. Look at what you're working with here and have realistic expectations.

We do have realistic expectations of our phone cameras..as photographers we recognize a tiny sensor is extremely limited and can only serve as a walk around camera when nothing else is around. However if you read the posts more carefully then you'd notice that our beef is not with the camera performance, but with the ridiculous over saturation of the colors in the screen. It's a huge gorgeous screen, we want to be able to use it to show our work.

xtn

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Can you post a picture showing this? My pics do look slightly over saturated on the screen, but not much. Not so much that I would worry about showing somebody. Besides, anyone who your showing portfolio pics to aught to understand that a phone's screen isn't color calibrated.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlgulliver