Active apps do not remain on when screen times out

jnnyr

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
This is a new issue that has arisen after the JB update that is really annoying.
Scenario is that you have an application running (music player, email, etc.) and you have it open and it's active.
The screen timeout kicks in as per usual and the screen goes black. You hit the home button to turn the screen on
and your active app appears for a fraction of a second and your screen reverts back to the home page.

Very frustrating and never used to happen with ICS. Any ideas OTHER than a factory reset??? I am not rooted.

Now if you're listening to a song on PlayerPro or whatever, the screen goes black (normal) and you hit the button to turn it on to pause and
you are sent to the home screen and must drill back to the app to regain functionality.

blade22222

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Home button will now always take you to the home screen, you have to wake the phone with the power button.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

montanaxvi

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Blade is correct. Get used to waking the phone up with the power button. Home key always returns your home screen now.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Really?

Glad I heard about that before bothering to update. I use the home button all the time to turn on. Having it always go to the home screen would be frustrating.

-Suntan

leprechaunshawn

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Go into the setting for S-Voice and make sure ?Open Via Home Key? is selected. This should allow the home button to wake your phone instead of returning you to the home screen.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
But then you would get the home button lag associated with the phone waiting to see if you press the home button again, wouldn't you?

-Suntan

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
If the screen times out it will take u home. but if the screen times out and locks, the home button will take u to ur lockscreen and then unlock....ur app will still be up and running. It's just a matter or how long it timed out for and now locked.

Sent from my Galaxy S3?

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
There's a slight lag but I consider it an acceptable trade-off to have the home button do what I want it to do.

To each there own. I don't consider that added lag worth the upgrade from ICS to JB. Glad I'm still on ICS.

That said, if I were already on JB, with no means for going back, then yes I would probably deal with the lag.

-Suntan

Naruto-Fiend

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I still have this issue too. My screen goes black, I hit the power button, unlock the phone and the app is gone. Are there any other suggestions to fix this?

Naruto-Fiend

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Interesting, so I'm using Go Locker and Go Launcher, maybe the locker has something to do with it. I'll try going back to the Samsung stand lock stuff and see what happens

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke