ADB and Tools?

kxs783kms

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site
Hello all! I've been a long time luker because I love to come and read info. from you all, search it and then try to apply it to my device. But I've finally decided to post a question because adb is something I can't seem to understand for the life of me. I've done a lot of reading up on it, but all I see are commands. I need the basics 101. Do I need to download Android SDK on my pc? Is the tools directory I read about is something that sould be downloaded and installed on my windows pc, my Droid or both? Once I find that out, I go to the command promt on my pc and just look at the black screen......(lol).....because I don't know what to type to get to adb so that I can start typing some of the adb commands. I have rooted and installed custom roms on my Droid with no problem, so I understand hacking a little bit. I just need someone to point me in the starting direction and I'll be on my way! Thanks in advance.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Just download the sdk and extract it to a location on your computer. I have mind on my desktop. Hit the start button, go to run and type "cmd" and hit enter. This will open the command prompt. cd to the "tools" folder within the folder you extracted. If you type "adb shell", it'll open the command prompt with a $ for your phone if you have it plugged in. For some commands, you'll need to type "su" to get the # prompt.

kxs783kms

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the reply PJnc, I really appreciate it. The description you gave sounds a lot like terminal emulator, which i have installed already. So can i use this app to type adb commands? Also, the tools folder that was automatically generated with droidrootpro, does that have anything to do with this?

AllGood

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
PJnc284

I've done the steps you said above, when i type adb shell i get error: device not found. happens if i have the sd card mounted and unmounted. Also same error with or without USB Debugging. What am i doing wrong?

Never mind, skipped the drivers part. Will let you all know what happens after.

Here is the link to the sdkhttp://developer.android.com/sdk/win-usb.html#VistaFreshInstall after you extract the files run the sdk setup.exe file. You can choose to just download the drivers. Once the drivers are installed go to computer management then device manager. In device manager right click on your droid and choose update drivers. Select you have disk and point to the usb_driver folder.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiconnolly