Add direct dial shortcut?

rodswartz

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
Mine (S5) with 5.1.1 allowed me to create the Direct Dial widget and would last until I rebooted the phone to which it disappeared from the home screen. Looks like a glitch! :(

jdrumr

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
On my s4 I was able to add a direct dial shortcut to my home screen so that you could call a particular contact with just one touch. I can't find this option on the s6. Anyone know how to do it?

Posted via the Android Central App

I you have the Samsung Galaxy S6 Active, install NOVA launcher. Open it's settings and select the Home button and then look for the shortcuts tab up top. Scroll down briefly to the Direct Dial feature and select it. From there you can assign a contact and an image to represent it. I think I have the sequence correct, but if not, at least you are close and should get to it eventually. Enjoy - jdrumr.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ginger931

Mar 19, 2016
Visit site
I tried this, and while it worked, it didn't give me all the contact information I was hoping for with each short cut. I just got my new Galaxy S7 yesterday and spent most of the day playing with it. In doing so I stumbled on a part of widgets that did link all the contact info with each little shortcut. I held my finger on the screen until "wallpapers Widgets Themes Screen grid" appeared at the bottom of the screen, Click on Widgets, and flipped through until I found Contacts. I chose the one that had all the info (contact 1x1) and clicked on it. Hold the contact icon and it will allow you to place it on a screen. You are then able to choose a contact to put there! It is a laborious process but it got what I wanted at the touch of a finger. Wish they had not changed the way the S5 did it!? So much easier...

mjones78

Apr 15, 2016
Visit site
amacnutt- the s6 designers had the bright idea of hiding widgets. But then they've never made it easy to create a Direct Dial number on any of the previous itierations so why start now??

On my samsung s6 the procedure is: press and hold anywhere there is an open area on one of your screens and you will see the widgets option appear at the bottom of the screen. Click on it and your widgets will appear. However, on my s6 i then have to find the widget called Contacts- it's a group of three contact icons, and select that group, then Direct Dial appears. Hope that makes sense.

good deed

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
Within android 6.0.1 on Galaxy s6, there's widget for direct calling from home screen. Touch and hold any blank space on home screen, then choose widget from bottom row. Then scroll right maybe one or two, you will see direct call widget Icon as well as direct massage.

Answer's late for couple of days. Hmm

RobBenham

Apr 18, 2016
Visit site
I've been trying to resolve this for a week or so. Specifically, go to the top right, Menu, (that used to show 5 or 6 items) and pick Add contact to home screen. Done. It was that easy.

I discovered display S6s in a store would do it, but the salesman's and mine would not. Marshmallow was the answer - I think.

Why the need for this? Well, sometimes I use it for perhaps an hour or so, then bin it. I don't want to mess with several moves to Widgets just for that. I loaded one of the suggested Apps - Speed Dial by Codificator - and it's very fast. Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited:

RobBenham

Apr 18, 2016
Visit site
Aaaaagh! Speed Dial keeps defaulting to Skype, on which I only subscribe to landlines. So, it just tells me I don't have enough credit. At this time, I haven't found a way to stop it.

I thought it was too good to be true.

Bitmancer

May 27, 2016
Visit site
Found it!

Settings >> Home Screen >> Widgets (on bottom of screen) >> Contacts

Pick one of three (full contact, direct dial, direct message), move it to screen location, choose contact.

sueeliza

May 27, 2016
Visit site
Perfect description from the lady ginger 931...I got my phone three days ago and could add shortcuts. Today..after some updates the option had gone. I tried several widgets from the play store but they only gave dial only option. I wanted all info..as in WhatsApp. Messaging and dialing. The only way is as this lady says..It works absolutely perfectly. Thank-you. !!

absolutely perfect - made my night!

poygan

Jun 26, 2016
Visit site
From Samsung live chat today when I asked why I could no longer find the Add to Home Screen option for contact: (I last updated 01MAY16)
"It seems the option is removed after the update. We are constantly improving and updating our operating systems, and with every improvement there is always a chance an older feature may be changed or removed."

Kudos to bitmancer! this worked great!

LINDA_EVANS3

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
My Samsung S6 Edge plus don't have the add shortcut to home screen for contacts did have it but my husband changed his photo so I tried to
change it but it disappeared now it's not allowing me to put it back on my home screen

DallasSmith

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
I also USED to have the option to 'add shortcut to homepage' on the "MORE" drop down menu on my Samsung Galaxy S6 and it has disappeared!! Anyone know why??

Batalarms

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
Thanks, but there is already an option to add a shortcut for a particular contact with the same options you mentioned. I was hoping for the same direct dial one touch option I had before. Anyone know if it's a lollipop issue or just not available on the s6 like it was on the s4?

Posted via the Android Central App

There is another short cut,
On a gal6,
Use speed dial,assign your own phone # to a number on the dial pad.then press and hold that number. 2 taps,open phone icon
Press and hold the assigned # for speed dial.

You may want to power down, r and r sim card,boot up.have a great day.
Marc

aaa54brat

Feb 18, 2017
Visit site
This doesn't work with some of the newer phones. For example, the Samsung Galaxy J7 does not have this option. You have to download an app for a widget

mlitvin

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
With little technical skills there's a workaround for this.

1. Add direct dial shortcuts for whoever you want using widget Contacts->Direct dial (the one that would open the dialer instead of just dialing).
  2. Go to Nova settings and create a backup file (.novabackup extension). Move it to a PC.
  3. Change the extension to .zip and unzip it.
  4. Use any SQLite browser app to open the file launcher.db. (e.g. http://sqlitebrowser.org/)
  5. Browse the data inside the DB, open the 'favorites' table, in the intent column search for android.intent.action.DIAL and edit to change it to android.intent.action.CALL instead.
  6. Save and zip the files back to a .novabackup file.
  7. Restore this backup file and enjoy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MansiDaware