Adding Outlook.com account to stock mail creates 4k+ contacts called Unknown Name

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Galaxy S7 on Verizon with August patch applied. Trying to add my outlook.com account to the stock email app (which I love) but after it syncs and does it's thing, I now have a new group of contacts listed as Exchange ActiveSync but has over 4000 blank contacts called Unknown Name. These do not exist in my Outlook.com account, suggested contacts has been turned off since day 1.

Deleting the account deletes that entire contact group, back to normal. How do I add outlook.com account without getting this messy contact list of unknown names? I'm sure it's a Samsung issue - I've tried the Outlook.com app for android, touchdown, blue mail and contacts sync just fine. Anyone else seeing this? I really like the stock mail app and hope to find a solution other than just removing that group from my contacts view.

Thanks

donpantini

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
I woke up this morning with an email from Microsoft welcoming me to my "new Outlook.com mobile experience" and a couple hundred unknown contacts in my contact list. I removed, then re-added my Hotmail account and the unknown contacts still re-appear.
This is not the new experience that I hoped I would have gotten.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Open the contacts app then head into the menu. From there, select the display contacts option and uncheck the Outlook contacts. Let us know if you have any questions.

ross01

Sep 11, 2016
Visit site
A similar thing has happened to me. I have a Galaxy S6 and my Contacts were working fine until the last few days. In addition to my normal contacts, hundreds of contacts named "Unknown Name" have appeared from nowhere. It is to do with Outlook because if I deselect Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync, they disappear (unfortunately, along with all of my other Outlook contacts). It must be something to do with the new Outlook.com, which was overhauled and foisted on me a few days ago. It cannot be a coincidence that straight after Outlook.com releases a major update, I start suffering this peculiar Contacts issue in my Galaxy S6.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Man you jinxed me. I read your post yesterday and though "damn I'm glad that hasn't happened to me" then I got the same email this afternoon along with 800 plus extra unknown contacts. Everything seems to be in there now, twitter contacts, Skype contacts etc etc. I had to remove my Exchange Account to get rid of them and just synced my Outlook contacts instead to fix it

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Having same problem with unknown contacts appearing in my Microsoft Exchange Activesync account on my Note 7. I keep deleting them, and they keep coming back. Looking for a solution.

Chicopower

Mar 5, 2016
Visit site
Same problem here. Since Outlook.com update, I have a lot of contacts without names on Android.
Appear OK on "People" section of outlook.com but give a lot of Unknown Name entries with exchange sync on my android device.

I suspect that this problem come from "Skype Contacts" list.
We are not able to delete this list and it seem that some people got problems with "hidden" Skype Contacts included in Outlook.com
If someone have a solution.. please..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174