Addressing The One/S4 "Bias" At Android Central

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I like how this post is supposedly "stirring the pot" and not just stating a fact.

I'm also STILL confused how that one single user has such an issue with your use of "shady" to describe a lack of information given by Samsung. And that's still being referenced! Sheeeeeesh.

You realize the only way to redeem yourself is to order the S4 and place a down payment on the S5, right?

When Sammy doesn't execute, Sammy shouldn't be paid. That rewards them for mediocre performance. The point about high expectations is extremely valid. The S4 was announced and many people went, "that's it?" Of course not everyone is going to want it or buy it. If they did, things would be boring and there'd be no reason for anyone to ever improve anything.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
When Sammy doesn't execute, Sammy shouldn't be paid. That rewards them for mediocre performance. The point about high expectations is extremely valid. The S4 was announced and many people went, "that's it?" Of course not everyone is going to want it or buy it. If they did, things would be boring and there'd be no reason for anyone to ever improve anything.

I completely agree. I expect so much out of Samsung after how great the S3 was for me. I don't think an SD card slot should be a knock on them, but that's just cause I still get some use out of one. The S4 seems like a great phone, but I was slightly underwhelmed. However, you know they could come out with the best device in the history of the world and certain people would still just call it gimmicky. Basically fans will be fans of whatever manufacturer and there's not too many on this site who will give credit where it's due. I know there's a few who do, but threads like these I feel prove my point.

On the flip side, Samsung could come out with a hot piece of shiz and some people would still think it was a gift from the heavens.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
So I'm kind of at a loss here...did the change log specifically say that there was a fix added to address what users were commonly referring to as lag? If not, the so called "fix" that many users are referring to could have just been a side effect of the other issues that were addressed in the update. Regardless, there are still s4 users reporting lag, even after the update. That isn't fictitious. I wouldnt be hopeful if I was an s4 user who had lag, because it wasn't addressed in the update changelog. I would be grateful if it corrected the problem, but I wouldn't get my panties in a bunch here discussing specifics.

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Samsung and Qualcomm have given us the info and he chooses not to believe it and the used the shady word with no substantiation other than one relatively obscure blogger who didn't himself seem to think anything nefarious was at play, but then this is a subject for the "shady" thread not this one.

I'm aware, I witnessed that monstrosity of a thread. You and I just read Kevin's posts differently. When he said "shady," I agreed. That's not to say I thought Samsung was pulling a fast one on us, it was just questionable with the varying model numbers.

I'm not Michael Vick, I don't have a dog in this fight- my only point was as I'm indifferent I haven't seen this merciless devaluing of the S4 from Kevin like you have.

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
People are just gushing over the One because it's a complete overhaul from what HTC did with the One X last year. Seems reasonable, considering Samsung basically phoned it in this year with the S4. Not that they shouldn't have, this is what happens when you have a successful phone like the S3. It isn't wise to change things up too much coming off the heels of an amazing year. I don't think biased has anything to do with it, the One is just a more refreshing phone, that's all. This being said, I'm getting the Sony Xperia ZL, so I really have no idea what I'm talking about.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR i

Last edited:

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Samsung and Qualcomm have given us the info and he chooses not to believe it and the used the shady word with no substantiation other than one relatively obscure blogger who didn't himself seem to think anything nefarious was at play, but then this is a subject for the "shady" thread not this one.

That was given AFTER my "shady" remark. People failed to realize that.

Posted via Android Central App

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
So I'm kind of at a loss here...did the change log specifically say that there was a fix added to address what users were commonly referring to as lag? If not, the so called "fix" that many users are referring to could have just been a side effect of the other issues that were addressed in the update. Regardless, there are still s4 users reporting lag, even after the update. That isn't fictitious. I wouldnt be hopeful if I was an s4 user who had lag, because it wasn't addressed in the update changelog. I would be grateful if it corrected the problem, but I wouldn't get my panties in a bunch here discussing specifics.

No. Nothing relating to performance improvements was specifically stated.

I agree with the rest of your statement.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

Change logs aren't always going to go over every little detail. They probably didn't mention anything specific to performance because it was probably corrected by fixing something else. Who knows.

You know who's probably still seeing lag? Sprint users who didn't get this update. When you've got hundreds of people saying they've had their issue fixed and a much smaller amount saying it isn't, there might be other things at play.

c1971ace

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Mods are people too and have the right to their OPINIONS and preferences just like the rest of us common folk. Just take the phones try them and form your own opinions and choose the one that suits YOU. End of story. Nothing more to see here.....

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Change logs aren't always going to go over every little detail. They probably didn't mention anything specific to performance because it was probably corrected by fixing something else. Who knows.

You know who's probably still seeing lag? Sprint users who didn't get this update. When you've got hundreds of people saying they've had their issue fixed and a much smaller amount saying it isn't, there might be other things at play.

Perhaps. But since the lag was such a major issue, you'd think they would specifically address whether or not they fixed it. Unless theyre too shady to admit they had a problem and fixed it behind the book. Not stating this as fact, just as a possibility. You're right, it could be sprint users who haven't gotten the update, but I was specifically talking about users who have. Look at it this way, some users have these infamous problems, some don't. It fixes the issues for some, and makes it worse for some. Just look at the latest update for the droid DNA for correction to the SIM problem.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

That is not remotely close to what he actually said. He said it would be shady if Samsung and Qualcomm were using an inferior part but calling it a 600. Which is reasonable.

Also, the blogger in question is not obscure, and he provided plenty of evidence in his write up that the part could be inferior to the one in the One. He said he did not know, however, and was reaching out to Qualcomm.

Nothing Kevin said was unreasonable, and when he was presented with the info given by Qualcomm he walked back his original statement. But you and others still attacked him despite that.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps. But since the lag was such a major issue, you'd think they would specifically address whether or not they fixed it. Unless theyre too shady to admit they had a problem and fixed it behind the book. Not stating this as fact, just as a possibility. You're right, it could be sprint users who haven't gotten the update, but I was specifically talking about users who have. Look at it this way, some users have these infamous problems, some don't. It fixes the issues for some, and makes it worse for some. Just look at the latest update for the droid DNA for correction to the SIM problem.

That's the thing; it wasn't a major issue. It didn't render the phone unusable. "Touchwiz being Touchwiz" is probably the best way to describe it. It's still not running as good as it could be in the end, no phone 2 weeks old is, but it's fixed the issues of stuttering.

When you've got people hell bent on creating a stigma about a phone, specifically one as popular as the S4, you'll get things blown out of proportion. Can't speculate on the reasons why, but it's hilarious nonetheless.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
That is not remotely close to what he actually said. He said it would be shady if Samsung and Qualcomm were using an inferior part but calling it a 600. Which is reasonable.

Also, the blogger in question is not obscure, and he provided plenty of evidence in his write up that the part could be inferior to the one in the One. He said he did not know, however, and was reaching out to Qualcomm.

Nothing Kevin said was unreasonable, and when he was presented with the info given by Qualcomm he walked back his original statement. But you and others still attacked him despite that.

To my recollection there was no evidence the chip was inferior. To the contrary all evidence suggested it was a 600 chip as confirmed by both Samsung and Qualcomm.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
To my recollection there was no evidence the chip was inferior. To the contrary all evidence suggested it was a 600 chip as confirmed by both Samsung and Qualcomm.

Actually, the evidence uncovered by the writer was that it could be an inferior chip given the parts numbers that were used. There was actually no evidence at all that it was a 600, while there was evidence to the contrary.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Please go back and reread the article. Different part numbers. The part samsung is using is closer to the S4 Pro than the S600 (or is right in the middle). That?s what started it.

Nobody said inferior. They said different than what was known to be the S600 part number. That, combined with the slight performance issues, is what led to the conclusion that it might be something different.

Then qualcomm gave us a press release. End of argument.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Mods are people too and have the right to their OPINIONS and preferences just like the rest of us common folk. Just take the phones try them and form your own opinions and choose the one that suits YOU. End of story. Nothing more to see here.....

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums

I agree with this... Too many of us taking themselves too seriouly...trying to play gotcha and be the smartest person in the room. Let the Mods do their jobs which includes their opinions as well, I want to know what they think. Jerry said it in another thread...I have never seen so many people worry about how someone else spends their money. I saw a guy with a HTC One today and said nice phone and he complimented my Nexus 4. I told him I was thinking of ordering the 32GB S4 on Friday and he said that is a great phone...get the hint...?

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
The fact that you even argue with us, rather than just moderating, highlights the problem.
Having moderated on a similarly debate-happy forum I can say that the reason most of these mods get involved is because they are interested in the conversation. They're as passionate about the topics as anyone else. But you have to understand that they're allowed to have personality and post as any other user and keep that completely separate from moderation duties. I mean, didn't most of them start out as a regular user first anyway?

Also, you come across as whiney sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana