Addressing The One/S4 "Bias" At Android Central

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it's any secret that I'm fond of the Samsung Galaxy S4. I've spent the past week or so answering as many questions as I could, talking people off the ledge about the "lag", offering insights on what I thought the issues were with the phone, etc. I have also owned the HTC One, a phone often compared, usually favorably, to the S4. Now that I've established that, let me make something perfectly clear:

Some of you are way out of bounds on accusing this site specifically about being biased and pushing the One over the S4. There's absolutely nothing wrong with choosing the One over the S4 and being happy with that choice. Today, Jerry started a thread based on his experiences with the S4 and pointed out a lot of the very same things I've been saying about the supposed lag, why it stutters, etc. He offered up his opinion on the phone, mentioned very briefly that he prefers the One because of the camera and the speakers, and that was it. After a few good responses, the thread turned into an angry mob of people upset that he mentioned he prefers the One. If you've listened to the podcasts, I believe he's vocalized it there, too. So has Alex. You know what? That's their choice and in no way is it being biased.

Do you blame them? The One is the proverbial "wet dream" for reviewers. It covers all the negatives most reviewers complain about and turns them into positives. It's almost as if HTC took a checklist out and wrote down what most reviewers complain about and said "Do the opposite of this" to their team. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, either, because the One is a great phone. Do I think some review sites piggyback on other reviews and agree for the sake of agreeing? A little. Is this site one of them? Not even close. I would trust any of those guys to be objective and review a phone. It's the reason I post here and nowhere else.

That being said, there's nothing stating that you need to agree with their assessments, either. Personally, I prefer the S4 and would debate it with anyone (ask Kevin). That doesn't mean that I get upset that they don't agree with me. It just means we have different views and different uses on/for these phones.

I believe that coming up soon, as they mentioned in their podcast, they're all going to pick what phone they prefer, even if Phil questioned if they "reeeeeeaaaally have to". Don't get upset if they choose the One. It all comes down to personal preference.

I'm glad you bought up that thread... I didnt get in before the lock to tell him his opinion was appreciated. Its a shame the thread got locked and ppl started acting the way they did. Some ppl dont realize or understand that you can give credit to, praise a product and still like, prefer something else.. I do with with the iPhone, iOS from time to time. I will never own one tho. I dont really like Samsung or HTC phones....lol. But I give them credit for what they do well.

strawhatnito0890

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
This is a very topic as i have had it almost everyday for the last two week after i got my htc one. its a great phone and i really love it. i love the feature on the phone, the camera is superber its way better than my last phone(iphone5).Don't get me wrong the s4 is a great phone but i perfer the htc one because i like the phone better as far as design, the display, battery life htc sense 5 every thing. I guess i like something different from the normal and htc gives me that and s4 won't. Don't hate me or anyone else that love the phone because its are opinion and not yours.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
holy hell. this. thread.

just my thoughts on the subject: the mods donate their time and effort to these forums to make AC the best place to discuss all things android. your incessant condescension and harping is awfully inappropriate.

so, thank you to all the mods, ambassadors, editors and writers etc. you all do a fantastic job for this site, which is [usually] a very pleasant place to hang around, shoot the breeze, and help people out.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Well, if the word moderate is defined as arguing with forum members rather that being an unbiased arbitrator then I guess you are correct. Have you noticed that when someone who is associated with this site argues with a forum member the sycophants defend the site members right to argue. But, when a forum member disagrees with a moderator or editor they are advised to close their account and leave.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Well, if the word moderate is defined as arguing with forum members rather that being an unbiased arbitrator then I guess you are correct. Have you noticed that when someone who is associated with this site argues with a forum member the sycophants defend the site members right to argue. But, when a forum member disagrees with a moderator or editor they are advised to close their account and leave.
Why must we continue to openly discuss our moderating practices? If you were to read the community forum rules & guidelines everything we do is based off the exact same thing that is posted for everyone to read along with a full breakdown of infractions, points and temp & permanent bans.

But, when a forum member disagrees with a moderator or editor they are advised to close their account and leave.

I would like to see any proof of one of the moderating staff telling a member to close their account and leave. Honestly we have on more than one occasion as of late discussed our actions when questioned, PUBLICLY which is something we aren't required to do.

But go ahead... Lets throw this thread under the bus again so a few hundred more can shake their head at this ongoing nonsense...

Last edited:

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Of course I didn't say the moderating staff told anyone to close their account and leave. Pretty dissensions for you make that inference.

"But go ahead... Lets throw this thread under the bus again so a few hundred more can shake their head at this ongoing nonsense..."

So what if, "...a few hundred more can shake their head at this ongoing nonsense..." It's nonsense to you but there are over 5,000 views of this thread. Someone is interested and keeps coming back to read what is being said. If I had praised the moderators here you certainly would not have said anything about this nonsense or the shaking of heads. Why is it you (AC staff) are against a free flow of comments about a subject. One of your editors even closed a thread because he didn't like the way the discussion about his comments was going, not because it violated any rules of the forum. Another moderator closed a thread because it was being discussed elsewhere. But when an editor opened a thread on the exact same thing a few days later it was allowed to stay open until the editor couldn't stand the heat. NO, don't answer. I don't want to be accused of questioning a moderator. Some people want to discuss the apparent bias on this site. Obviously many people are interested in the subject and want to comment. Bemoaning the fact that people have differing view from yours is not "throwing the discussion under the bus."

"Why must we continue to openly discuss our moderating practices?"

Who exactly is forcing you to discuss anything? If you don't want to discuss your moderating practices don't do it.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Of course I didn't say the moderating staff told anyone to close their account and leave. Pretty dissensions for you make that inference.

But, when a forum member disagrees with a moderator or editor they are advised to close their account and leave.

Hmmm that is your words correct? Looks like to me your saying that exactly what I commented on.

So what if, "...a few hundred more can shake their head at this ongoing nonsense..." It's nonsense to you but there are over 5,000 views of this thread. Someone is interested and keeps coming back to read what is being said.
So your saying that we should continue to comment, question and discuss the way things are handled around these forums because its generating page views and fueling your own personal enjoyment? That is exactly how I'm reading it. TBH, I think the small minority that enjoy this type of discussion have already gotten their fill and moved onward, the rest return only because this keeps getting bumped back to the top of the list and they probably can't believe this is still ongoing.

Who exactly is forcing you to discuss anything? If you don't want to discuss your moderating practices don't do it.
If your read the forum rules & guidelines ' yes I hate having to repeat this... ' you would see in there that its frowned upon to question or discuss moderating practices within the forums.

I'll drop this quote from there so maybe it gets the point across a little better..

Moderators - Do not post complaints about Moderators. Mobile Nations has the highest regard for individuals who volunteer their time to be a moderator. Every day, our moderators read through hundreds of threads and posts, and all moderator decisions are final. We trust that any action that a moderator takes will follow the above rules and guidelines. Please send a PM to a Moderator if you have questions about any moderator action.

Appeals/Complaints - If you feel that a mistake has been made or you are being treated unfairly, or have a question about an action, you may contact our Community Manager James Falconer: james AT mobilenations dot com.

FWIW, Normally when members continue to ignore these rules/guidelines and in thread requests from Moderators that is when you put yourself in a bad situation.

I will stop there on this subject and leave the rest in your hands ;)

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

"But go ahead... Lets throw this thread under the bus again so a few hundred more can shake their head at this ongoing nonsense..."

So what if, "...a few hundred more can shake their head at this ongoing nonsense..." It's nonsense to you but there are over 5,000 views of this thread. Someone is interested and keeps coming back to read what is being said. If I had praised the moderators here you certainly would not have said anything about this nonsense or the shaking of heads. Why is it you (AC staff) are against a free flow of comments about a subject. One of your editors even closed a thread because he didn't like the way the discussion about his comments was going, not because it violated any rules of the forum. Another moderator closed a thread because it was being discussed elsewhere. But when an editor opened a thread on the exact same thing a few days later it was allowed to stay open until the editor couldn't stand the heat. NO, don't answer. I don't want to be accused of questioning a moderator. Some people want to discuss the apparent bias on this site. Obviously many people are interested in the subject and want to comment. Bemoaning the fact that people have differing view from yours is not "throwing the discussion under the bus."

"Why must we continue to openly discuss our moderating practices?"

Keep nitpicking. I'm 100% confident that Mobile Nations will rewrite their entire policy and procedure page because you complained and continued to complain, and rehashed the same crap, and beat the living he** out of the dead horse.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
It's not our fault people can't recognize an obvious troll/baiting thread versus one meant to harbor discussion and conversation.

It's also not our fault that people choose to derail threads. A thread getting closed because it's been derailed is what is SUPPOSED to happen. This thread is an exception, not an example.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm that is your words correct? Looks like to me your saying that exactly what I commented on.

So your saying that we should continue to comment, question and discuss the way things are handled around these forums because its generating page views and fueling your own personal enjoyment? That is exactly how I'm reading it. TBH, I think the small minority that enjoy this type of discussion have already gotten their fill and moved onward, the rest return only because this keeps getting bumped back to the top of the list and they probably can't believe this is still ongoing.

If your read the forum rules & guidelines ' yes I hate having to repeat this... ' you would see in there that its frowned upon to question or discuss moderating practices within the forums.

I'll drop this quote from there so maybe it gets the point across a little better..

FWIW, Normally when members continue to ignore these rules/guidelines and in thread requests from Moderators that is when you put yourself in a bad situation.

I will stop there on this subject and leave the rest in your hands ;)

No, again, I did not say the moderators tell people to close their accounts and move on. Assigning factual content to an ambiguous statement is sloppy scholarship.

I'm not saying you should do anything. If you don't want to comment don't. You came out of the blue and commented here, no one forced you.

I asked you who was forcing you to discuss anything and you came back with, "If your read the forum rules & guidelines ' yes I hate having to repeat this... ' you would see in there that its frowned upon to question or discuss moderating practices within the forums." One has nothing to do with the other. I didn't ask you to discuss anything. I appreciate your quick response but maybe you should have taken a bit longer to assess my post before replying.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
It has 5,000 views because many people like myself, think its hilarious the point to which some will go to prove their point. You are splitting needless hairs here. You state that no one asked the mods to publicly discuss their decisions, yet you call them out and openly question their practices. So what, you are allowed to question it, but since they are mods they aren't allowed to answer? Bait, meet hook. You say that when people disagree with mods they are advised to close down their accounts and leave, but then you say that you never put those words in the mods mouths. You are back pedaling and all its doing is dragging this thread on even further.

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
It has 5,000 views because many people like myself, think its hilarious the point to which some will go to prove their point. You are splitting needless hairs here. You state that no one asked the mods to publicly discuss their decisions, yet you call them out and openly question their practices. So what, you are allowed to question it, but since they are mods they aren't allowed to answer? Bait, meet hook. You say that when people disagree with mods they are advised to close down their accounts and leave, but then you say that you never put those words in the mods mouths. You are back pedaling and all its doing is dragging this thread on even further.

"Yesterday, 01:33 PM
JHBThree
Seriously, just leave. Delete your account and go."

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I may be mistaken, but JHBThree isn't a mod, is he?

Correct. JHBThree is not a moderator.

If your viewing these forums using Tapatalk or AC Forum App it does not show who is and isn't a moderator like in full browser/desktop.

FWIW, we have also requested in future updates of the new AC App that is added so members can see by some sort of identification that a post is from a moderator.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Correct. JHBThree is not a moderator.

If your viewing these forums using Tapatalk or AC Forum App it does not show who is and isn't a moderator like in full browser/desktop.

FWIW, we have also requested in future updates of the new AC App that is added so members can see by some sort of identification that a post is from a moderator.

That sounds like a very useful feature. Like a ribbon or something below your profile picture, or a badge beside your name on the forums :)

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I may be mistaken, but JHBThree isn't a mod, is he?

You are not mistaken.

Now please provide a source of my saying "The mods tell you to close your account and leave." I did not say that. Your personal interpretation of the sentence is not a factual rendering of the sentence. Show me the quote.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
You are not mistaken.

Now please provide a source of my saying "The mods tell you to close your account and leave." I did not say that. Your personal interpretation of the sentence is not a factual rendering of the sentence. Show me the quote.

Touche, but splitting hairs. Sorry for my assumption.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Ok folks, the ground rules have been laid out and I will enforce them.

Posts will be deleted and members handled appropriately from here on forward and I will not give any public explanation as to why other than the obvious reason of a problem existing.

Have a nice day.