Addressing The One/S4 "Bias" At Android Central

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Putting words in my mouth again. Does that give you joy? Phil listed the changelog. That's what Samsung has officially said has been fixed. That's all I said. Nothing else. Nothing about not liking or enjoying the phone. Geez.

Have you been able to find a different changelog that states what Samsung has done to improve performance? Just like ALL THE OTHER THREADS that we've had this discussion in, that's what I'm interested in. I want it to get fixed, just like you. According to Samsung, as of right now, it hasn't been addressed in any updates. But like every other time, if NEW information comes out that wasn't available at the time this comment was written, then my comment will no longer apply.

^^^See, really sad that I need to put that disclaimer in there.

You're missing the point here. All he had to do was mention the "lag" being fixed and you had to jump on it immediately to say that it wasn't in the change log. A change log someone else told you about. About a device you don't own. Doesn't matter that the people who are using the device are reporting much better performance. Doesn't matter that most of them are now happy with their phone. If it's not in the change log then it just can't be true.

All I'm saying is that you do yourself no favors getting into it with people about a phone you know not of.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
You're missing the point here. All he had to do was mention the "lag" being fixed and you had to jump on it immediately to say that it wasn't in the change log. A change log someone else told you about. About a device you don't own. Doesn't matter that the people who are using the device are reporting much better performance. Doesn't matter that most of them are now happy with their phone. If it's not in the change log then it just can't be true.

All I'm saying is that you do yourself no favors getting into it with people about a phone you know not of.

Are you the same guy that quoted a Samsung employee about why they chose to use plastic instead of any other material? Then when people replied you said something along the lines of believing Samsung and taking their word for it over what anybody else says? If it wasn't you, I apologize. The logic will still fit.

That same logic should apply here, though. Samsung released a changelog. It says what they fixed. How can you not take that for what it is, based on the logic I stated above?

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with the fact that people are reporting improved performance, nor have I attributed those reports (or addressed them at all) to anything.

But that's cool. Since I don't own the phone I can't comment on anything anybody says about it, reports about it, writes about it, tells me about, praises, bashes, or anything else right?

You know all those reviews that you read from all these sites on the Internet? None of those people own the device either. Or at least, VERY few of them do. They're review units given to them for a specific period of time by a company (sometimes the carrier, sometimes the manufacturer) that then needs to get sent back. So, all your talk about the sites reviews should be irrelevant since they don't actually own the phone, and therefor have forfeited the right to comment on anything about said device.

Curious to see how you split the hairs there.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Since we're determined to talk about S4 lag in a thread about something else, here's a question for everyone.

Why is it such a big deal? There are tricks floating around that can make it very minimal, even keeping the gallery tidy helps the worst instance. And does anyone think Samsung is going to ignore it and not fix it? Come on...

Blowing it out of proportion only gets more people wanting to tear each other's throats out across the Internet.

I never had lag to begin with but the update did make the phone faster and smoother, but since it wasn't in the changelog it must be a placebo affect.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
It's a shame that there is a reason for a thread like this to be created on an Android site. People are still too sensitive when someone says something bad about their device and it's always a game of "we are better than you". I don't get it at all. Sure I ave my opinion of what devices are better than others but that's based on my needs and not anything that should be taken as the gospel. And it's the same with everyone else. I don't understand why it's so hard to respect that everyone has different needs and preferences and because you feel one way about something doesn't mean you are right or better, just different.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Don't they usually say something about "improved performance" and whatnot?

I just went back and took another look at that original thread. What surprised me most was that Jerry killed it. While there was certainly disagreement over the points, it seemed pretty civil for the most part. I've seen threads with a lot more vitriol than that one go on for page after page after page.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
It's a shame that there is a reason for a thread like this to be created on an Android site. People are still too sensitive when someone says something bad about their device and it's always a game of "we are better than you". I don't get it at all. Sure I ave my opinion of what devices are better than others but that's based on my needs and not anything that should be taken as the gospel. And it's the same with everyone else. I don't understand why it's so hard to respect that everyone has different needs and preferences and because you feel one way about something doesn't mean you are right or better, just different.

Did you read the thread? It has nothing to do with which phone is better. It has everything to do with a perceived bias on the part of the editors (and moderator) of this site for one phone over the other.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Are you the same guy that quoted a Samsung employee about why they chose to use plastic instead of any other material? Then when people replied you said something along the lines of believing Samsung and taking their word for it over what anybody else says? If it wasn't you, I apologize. The logic will still fit.

That same logic should apply here, though. Samsung released a changelog. It says what they fixed. How can you not take that for what it is, based on the logic I stated above?

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with the fact that people are reporting improved performance, nor have I attributed those reports (or addressed them at all) to anything.

But that's cool. Since I don't own the phone I can't comment on anything anybody says about it, reports about it, writes about it, tells me about, praises, bashes, or anything else right?

You know all those reviews that you read from all these sites on the Internet? None of those people own the device either. Or at least, VERY few of them do. They're review units given to them for a specific period of time by a company (sometimes the carrier, sometimes the manufacturer) that then needs to get sent back. So, all your talk about the sites reviews should be irrelevant since they don't actually own the phone, and therefor have forfeited the right to comment on anything about said device.

Curious to see how you split the hairs there.

I'll start from the bottom. I'd prefer you to own the phone, but having a review unit would be fine, too. Why? Because it means you'd have continuous use of the phone outside of a demo unit at a retail location that you played with for 15 minutes. You have neither. That's one.

Two, I didn't think I had to explain that sometimes these things aren't put into the change log as it means they'd have to address it. Maybe it is incomplete. Maybe it wasn't an actual issue with performance that required a specific fix? I'm not Samsung. Hard to argue with the results as it pertains to the actual usage of the phone. You'd know that if you had one in your hand. You do not.

No, I was not the guy you argued with about Samsung and plastic. Something tells me you're aware of everytime we've talked, though.

Finally, I could tell you all day long you shouldn't comment -as if- you owned/reviewed the device, but you'd do it anyways. As for listening to other people's opinions, you seem to pick and choose which ones you want to listen to. For instance, Jerry has commented on 2 separate occasions that this "lag" is minimal, worse on the Sprint version (which he has), and is overblown. Yet you persist.

Was that good enough for your curiousity?

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

This.

I stand by my opinions ? whether they're commonly-accepted and well-regarded or not ? because they're unique and make up who I am. If I didn't, I wouldn't be any different from any other user in this community. For the same reason, I respect the opinions of others, no matter how much I may not agree with or identify with those opinions. Besides, what good would a community like Android Central be if we all had the same opinions about the same issues? Where would the drive for innovation be in the mobile industry if the S4 was considered to be the pinnacle of smartphone evolution? So much for the HTC One, right?

Disagreement for the sake of discourse is better than amity for the sake of appearances.

My $0.02.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Did you read the thread? It has nothing to do with which phone is better. It has everything to do with a perceived bias on the part of the editors (and moderator) of this site for one phone over the other.

I'm not talking about this thread..... I'm talking about the fact that there's a reason for a thread like this to exist due to the constant bickering over which device is better which results to the perception of bias and flame wars. And all that is derived from people being too sensitive and too clingy to a device they will swap out when something else comes along. So I think what I posted in appropriate for the point I'm making. Thanks though.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'll start from the bottom. I'd prefer you to own the phone, but having a review unit would be fine, too. Why? Because it means you'd have continuous use of the phone outside of a demo unit at a retail location that you played with for 15 minutes. You have neither. That's one.

Two, I didn't think I had to explain that sometimes these things aren't put into the change log as it means they'd have to address it. Maybe it is incomplete. Maybe it wasn't an actual issue with performance that required a specific fix? I'm not Samsung. Hard to argue with the results as it pertains to the actual usage of the phone. You'd know that if you had one in your hand. You do not.

No, I was not the guy you argued with about Samsung and plastic. Something tells me you're aware of everytime we've talked, though.

Finally, I could tell you all day long you shouldn't comment -as if- you owned/reviewed the device, but you'd do it anyways. As for listening to other people's opinions, you seem to pick and choose which ones you want to listen to. For instance, Jerry has commented on 2 separate occasions that this "lag" is minimal, worse on the Sprint version (which he has), and is overblown. Yet you persist.

Was that good enough for your curiousity?

I persist about what? I'm pretty sure that I've never said that the S4 had terrible performance and lags all over. What I HAVE said, though, is that some people are reporting it being far worse than others are. Yes, that's a perception issue. For some people, those little stutters are huge issues, for others, they don't even notice. I've said that particular statement far more than once. It's getting a little tiring, honestly. What I've also said is that you've gone in some of those threads and glossed over the fact people that are saying the lag is the most terrible thing they've ever experienced. Is that an overblown statement? Probably, but guess what? That's their perception of the problem. It's not the same as yours. That's not a crime.

I'm aware of changelogs and the fact that they can be great, or not. Personally (yep, there I go again with personal thoughts and opinions. Shame on me.) I want them to be thorough. I want to know what was fixed. The more they list that was fixed, the more I know they care about my experience. Is everyone the same? Nope. But somehow you persist that I have to agree with YOU, because you own the phone. I do not. That's not a rule. It's something you came up with on your own.

I think people are reading my posts, and taking them as me being angry or upset. I'm not.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I persist about what? I'm pretty sure that I've never said that the S4 had terrible performance and lags all over. What I HAVE said, though, is that some people are reporting it being far worse than others are. Yes, that's a perception issue. For some people, those little stutters are huge issues, for others, they don't even notice. I've said that particular statement far more than once. It's getting a little tiring, honestly. What I've also said is that you've gone in some of those threads and glossed over the fact people that are saying the lag is the most terrible thing they've ever experienced. Is that an overblown statement? Probably, but guess what? That's their perception of the problem. It's not the same as yours. That's not a crime.

I'm aware of changelogs and the fact that they can be great, or not. Personally (yep, there I go again with personal thoughts and opinions. Shame on me.) I want them to be thorough. I want to know what was fixed. The more they list that was fixed, the more I know they care about my experience. Is everyone the same? Nope. But somehow you persist that I have to agree with YOU, because you own the phone. I do not. That's not a rule. It's something you came up with on your own.

I think people are reading my posts, and taking them as me being angry or upset. I'm not.

Agreed Kevin. Definitely not angry or upset; gleeful or sneering perhaps but not angry or upset.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone else feel like all 16 pages of this thread say the same thing over and over again just in different words? Man, I know it can be tiring rehashing the same things over and over again.

The glorious fact is that everyone is entitled to an opinion. And as I've stated in many threads, opinions cannot be wrong. The factual supporting evidence or lack thereof can be wrong, but not the opinion in its own. Why can't everyone just have subjective opinions? Some people just get way too emotionally attached to these products or manufactures. I mean, I get it, I'm a die hard prius lover. But I'm not going to harp on every person who hates on my "energizer clown car." I jus explain why I chose it, and smile when they use the typical responses of why they wouldn't. But going as far to get emotionally upheaved over someone else not liking it? Come on now, there are plenty of choices in the smart phone market for every single person to find a device that suits their needs. Its like religion, no need to shove yours down my throat. If you are happy about your purchase, that's what matters. People need to stop getting so **** hurt about other people's opinions.

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

I'm not saying you need to agree with me at all. Take me out of this. You were concerned with the reports you were hearing about "lag" and regardless of people stating the contrary, you kept on with it. You listen to the people, apparently. Now they release an update and the people are reporting the exact opposite. Someone says they fixed the supposed "lag" issue and you're the only one I've seen so far that's even mentioned the change log and that if it's not there, maybe it isn't fixed.

All because you want them to be thorough. So your need for them to care about your experience with a device you don't own/review prompted you to point out that a performance fix wasn't listed on the change log when a user states they fixed it. When an uncounted amount says they fixed it. Here I thought you listened to the reports from other people?

What you're doing is back tracking. I never said you had to agree with me. I said you seem to talk a lot about this phone and it's issues based off of what you've heard, but ignore the positive and punctuate the negative. I'm all for it, too. It's hilarious because it's like clockwork. I'm not even telling you to stop doing it, but you probably have this wide-eyed look at the screen from surprise and shock when someone calls you out on it. You shouldn't.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Also, just because he's a moderator doesn't mean he has to be subjective. He's allowed to have his opinions on these devices as we all are. If he is more partial to one than the other, that is his choice. And he is allowed to express that. If he was slandering the phone falsely, that would be one thing. But he's not fanthoming up issues with this device just for the sake of upsaling the ONE. He's merely reposting information that has been presented by many, many, s4 users on this site. If you don't trust that source than surely you don't trust the consensus, either. His job is to try and keep an even level of integrity in these forums. While at times he may be needed to act as a mediator, he is not asked to sheild his opinion, rather, find a common ground to express it respectfully. Which not once have I seen a post by him that was presented in any way but with the utmost respect, whether he agrees or disagrees with the subject matter.

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I also like my coffee with cream and sugar.

You must be biased against tea drinkers. And we all know (us tea-drinkers) that tea is sooooo much better than coffee. And that is a fact. I can prove it to you with my opinions.

I actually love coffee.

What were we talking about? ;)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000