dukeblue91

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Reactions: furygoalbrtis39

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes from what I understand is that the update closed the loophole that was used to root.
From what I read it is something At&t did with locking down the rom and this is not something that is being done on all devices.

This is how I understand it, someone else here may be able to shed more light on this.

U still have root when u update its just disabled u have to find the superuser using link2sd or apps2sd and turn it on that us if u were rooted already

Sent from my Nexus S 4g rockin jellybean using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: dukeblue91

dukeblue91

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
U still have root when u update its just disabled u have to find the superuser using link2sd or apps2sd and turn it on that us if u were rooted already

Thanks,
No I wasn't rooted before unfortunately.
Is there any other way around this as it is in the current state or do I have to wait for a new unlock or exploit?

Thanks,
Dukeblue91

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

This is NOT true in all cases. Taking an OTA can definitely cause you to lose root. Whether or not this is the case with the One X I can't say. I've been rooted for a while and don't accept OTA's. If the OTA contains "security updates" odds are very good that it will close the exploit that was used to gain root, which would then take root away.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Did you try connecting the phone to WiFi to download the OTA? I've found I always have to do they on AT&T.

As for syncing with your mac the whole point of Android is that everything is in the cloud. I'm preyt suet the only reason we have HTC Sync for windows is that its an updated version of something they originally came out with for the old Windows Mobile data and it was a relatively easy port (and its crap if its any consolidation). The best thing I ever dud was put everything into Google .(contacts and calendar ) and now if I need to view or modify it from the computer I just use the browser and that works equally well on the Mac.

Welcome to Android :)

dukeblue91

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Did you try connecting the phone to WiFi to download the OTA? I've found I always have to do they on AT&T.

As for syncing with your mac the whole point of Android is that everything is in the cloud. I'm preyt suet the only reason we have HTC Sync for windows is that its an updated version of something they originally came out with for the old Windows Mobile data and it was a relatively easy port (and its crap if its any consolidation). The best thing I ever dud was put everything into Google .(contacts and calendar ) and now if I need to view or modify it from the computer I just use the browser and that works equally well on the Mac.

Welcome to Android :)

Yes I'm now using AirDroid for all my syncing needs and it is working very well and has a great looking interface too.

The niggle that I have is that without having root there is no way of restoring the phone completely, I mean who thought of that?
And now thanks to At&t I can't root my HOX as the locked it with the update.
As I said in another thread at&t is the only company that abuses me and my freedoms and yet I'm staying with them and asking for more, go figure!

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I had the S3 and returned it to get my iPhone back, I know I know, it just lagged A LOT. Idk why either because I wanted to like it so much, all the YouTube videos I watched, the S3's UI was smooth as butter, but the AT&T one I had was very slow at opening and closing anything from apps to settings to the Internet. It just really bugged me and I was within the first 30 days so I swapped it out free of charge. I'm not done with android at all though. I'm with iPhone for now just until I figure out what I'm gonna do come Xmas time. I may get the S3 again after it gets Jellybean, My friend has the nexus with JB and it is so smooth and quick. My girl has the HTC ONE X and it's amazing, but it's horrible at multitasking , no biggie tho the phone is awesome. So ya def good choice getting the HTC. I jailbreak my iPhone as well and I'm very curious to see how similar "rooting" is to jail breaking for when I get another android phone

There is a difference. I have never owned an iphone, but both my roommates have one that are jailbroken. I have messed with there phones and noticed some similar things, and some very different things

First off with iphone... You cannot leave the "apple" community, for example... the iphone developer will take everything given to him/her from the original apple source. and they will continue to build upon it (themeing) but I dont even think you can change your kernel, governor, or clock speeds on a iphone.

Android is a mini Linux computer that has the full capability to almost run anything (based upon your hardware capability) but here is where is it is similar... most android developers will take the SDK from google and start themeing (easiest on the nexus products - google) but here is where it gets complicated. Since there are so many android phones.... each company has there own systems (overlay) running on top of the original android source. therefore limiting the development process for each phone.
Android can literally run iOS (with some minor tweaks) if apple was an open source.

Plus apple made somethings easy with the themeing app (I forget the name) and can easily be applied. But if I want to run Jellybean on my Android phone (especially an HTC phone) will involve some complicated steps. Involving Fastboot, a boot.img, the .zip file, an unlooked bootloader for full rooting capability (from HTC), making a nandroid backup, and wipeing the phone clean. Its a lot more complicated. But complication = more things you can do. Especially if you know how to write codes and scripts.

With enough research, you could turn your android phone into whatever you want.
But Apple has one advantage.... with one phone, one operating system, same button, and same source. Making it 10 times easier.

Hope that helped a little,
(PS. Im not a developer, nor a pro, just an avide flasher - so don't shoot me if I said something wrong)

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes I'm now using AirDroid for all my syncing needs and it is working very well and has a great looking interface too.

The niggle that I have is that without having root there is no way of restoring the phone completely, I mean who thought of that?
And now thanks to At&t I can't root my HOX as the locked it with the update.
As I said in another thread at&t is the only company that abuses me and my freedoms and yet I'm staying with them and asking for more, go figure!

Sorry to double post, is what your looking for is the ability to make a full image backup. And the only way to do this is by rooting, but if you save your contacts to google, use dropbox for pictures, music, and files, then download an app that will back-up your SMS, MMS. That is the best option for unrooted. I know it sucks, (trust me) but if you were rooted. Its super easy to backup especially with Titanium backup

dukeblue91

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to double post, is what your looking for is the ability to make a full image backup. And the only way to do this is by rooting, but if you save your contacts to google, use dropbox for pictures, music, and files, then download an app that will back-up your SMS, MMS. That is the best option for unrooted. I know it sucks, (trust me) but if you were rooted. Its super easy to backup especially with Titanium backup

Thanks,
Yes I found this out the hard way and believe you me as soon as there is a new way to root my phone I will do it ASAP.

As far as SMS and MMS it is not a huge deal for me but this is another item that requires root in order to be backed up as I have seen on a couple of back up apps I downloaded.
But as I said those two are the least of my worries.
Thus far I have everything backing up that can be done with the exception of the settings and such.

agentmobile

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
There is a difference. I have never owned an iphone, but both my roommates have one that are jailbroken. I have messed with there phones and noticed some similar things, and some very different things

First off with iphone... You cannot leave the "apple" community, for example... the iphone developer will take everything given to him/her from the original apple source. and they will continue to build upon it (themeing) but I dont even think you can change your kernel, governor, or clock speeds on a iphone.

Android is a mini Linux computer that has the full capability to almost run anything (based upon your hardware capability) but here is where is it is similar... most android developers will take the SDK from google and start themeing (easiest on the nexus products - google) but here is where it gets complicated. Since there are so many android phones.... each company has there own systems (overlay) running on top of the original android source. therefore limiting the development process for each phone.
Android can literally run iOS (with some minor tweaks) if apple was an open source.

Plus apple made somethings easy with the themeing app (I forget the name) and can easily be applied. But if I want to run Jellybean on my Android phone (especially an HTC phone) will involve some complicated steps. Involving Fastboot, a boot.img, the .zip file, an unlooked bootloader for full rooting capability (from HTC), making a nandroid backup, and wipeing the phone clean. Its a lot more complicated. But complication = more things you can do. Especially if you know how to write codes and scripts.

With enough research, you could turn your android phone into whatever you want.
But Apple has one advantage.... with one phone, one operating system, same button, and same source. Making it 10 times easier.

Hope that helped a little,
(PS. Im not a developer, nor a pro, just an avide flasher - so don't shoot me if I said something wrong)

Thanks for the info! Ya I realized that these companies like Samsung and HTC for example have their overlays like u said such as TouchWiz and HTCsense. Plus the Android OS. Im gonna wait to see what the iPhone 5 looks like but odds are I'll be getting the S3 or HOX. I want those abilities u speak of. But at the same time I love how simple it is to tweak iOS when jailbroken, it's literally just plug in and forget that's how simple it was to jailbreak it with Absinthe 2.0
It's def going to take a lot of concentration and patience to learn all the steps of rooting but I'm down for it. I'm also going to school soon to learn computer programming I want to learn how to do code and java, HTML, etc.... And hopefully one day become a dev

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info! Ya I realized that these companies like Samsung and HTC for example have their overlays like u said such as TouchWiz and HTCsense. Plus the Android OS. Im gonna wait to see what the iPhone 5 looks like but odds are I'll be getting the S3 or HOX. I want those abilities u speak of. But at the same time I love how simple it is to tweak iOS when jailbroken, it's literally just plug in and forget that's how simple it was to jailbreak it with Absinthe 2.0
It's def going to take a lot of concentration and patience to learn all the steps of rooting but I'm down for it. I'm also going to school soon to learn computer programming I want to learn how to do code and java, HTML, etc.... And hopefully one day become a dev

iPhone 5 is gonna look just like a stretched iPhone 4/4 S with a slightly bigger screen, and iOS6 is going to look just like iOS 3-5. But of course the sheep will still buy it in record numbers but I digress. Nothing really to see there

Good luck with your education.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thephilster001