After my first week with the phone coming from iPhone

agentmobile

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I had the S3 and returned it to get my iPhone back, I know I know, it just lagged A LOT. Idk why either because I wanted to like it so much, all the YouTube videos I watched, the S3's UI was smooth as butter, but the AT&T one I had was very slow at opening and closing anything from apps to settings to the Internet. It just really bugged me and I was within the first 30 days so I swapped it out free of charge. I'm not done with android at all though. I'm with iPhone for now just until I figure out what I'm gonna do come Xmas time. I may get the S3 again after it gets Jellybean, My friend has the nexus with JB and it is so smooth and quick. My girl has the HTC ONE X and it's amazing, but it's horrible at multitasking , no biggie tho the phone is awesome. So ya def good choice getting the HTC. I jailbreak my iPhone as well and I'm very curious to see how similar "rooting" is to jail breaking for when I get another android phone

dukeblue91

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
I want to thank you all for the tips and help you have offer me.
I'm really liking my new phone and learning more and more on a daily basis.
This forum has helped me quite allot.

To Adress some of the posts.
Re. rooting.
I think I made a mistake when I manually updated my phone to ICS 4.0.4
From what I read that now I won't be able to root it till a new way of doing so comes out.
I now hope that I'm wrong but if not hopefully a new root comes out soon.

I have fixed the problem with the shortcuts that always downloaded on my home screen.
Thanks for helping me with that.

I still have a small problem with a notification.
Every 25 -26 minutes after the hour my phone is making a sound and I see the GPS symbol flashing but I can't find out what is doing this.
I have looked everywhere in the settings and in app settings but I can't find what is doing it.
If any of you have any idea please let me know.

Thanks
Dukeblue91

dukeblue91

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
I had the S3 and returned it to get my iPhone back, I know I know, it just lagged A LOT. Idk why either because I wanted to like it so much, all the YouTube videos I watched, the S3's UI was smooth as butter, but the AT&T one I had was very slow at opening and closing anything from apps to settings to the Internet. It just really bugged me and I was within the first 30 days so I swapped it out free of charge. I'm not done with android at all though. I'm with iPhone for now just until I figure out what I'm gonna do come Xmas time. I may get the S3 again after it gets Jellybean, My friend has the nexus with JB and it is so smooth and quick. My girl has the HTC ONE X and it's amazing, but it's horrible at multitasking , no biggie tho the phone is awesome. So ya def good choice getting the HTC. I jailbreak my iPhone as well and I'm very curious to see how similar "rooting" is to jail breaking for when I get another android phone

Sorry to hear about the problems you had with your SG3.
The One x is smooth as butter and the multitasking seems to work fine now since I upgraded it to ICS 4.0.4

I can't speak to the rooting as I think I messed that window up when I upgraded the Rom.
Good luck with your decision in the future.

ungibbed

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
I thought I'd just stop by and chime in here, I too came from the iPhone to Android long ago (iPhone 3G 16GB Was the top end at that time). Over the years, there have been some great phones and some stinkers...

My first Android phone had a bad cellular radio and despite living a block away from the tower, I had no service inside while my work phone (a BlackBerry 8310 unlocked but an AT&T model ) had full signal strength.

The first phone? It was a Samsung Behold II, having been with T-Mobile over 14 years now I never had so many problems but it was Samsung's first Android device. Compared to my iPhone, the Samsung camera absolutely crushed it at 5MP with a LED flash. The major problem with that Samsung phone was it's software. Still very early but showed much promise and the first AMOLED display along with the hardware made it beautiful to look at, but a pain to use.

No Mac support either.

The first truly great Android phones came out with the Mytouch 3G series and the Motorola Cliq (hardware qwerty device). I ended up buying the limited edition Fender edition which was a great phone despite a few issues. The price was as high as the most expensive phone in retail at T-Mobile $449.99 MSRP which was also unable to be returned due to it's limited edition nature.

It had a painted wooden sunburst finish along with the rest of the accessories even down to the included stereo earbuds. It was truly unique and the first phone I could compare to my iPhone 3G. Both bad 16GB of storage, the same display resolution, and some similar applications.

The Mytouch line back then was a HTC only affair and the Fender phone had a great build quality but nothing like the HTC models of now which are very unique.

I loved being able to customize nearly anything at that time as the MT3G was a stock Google phone. No HTC sense, just stock Android 1.6 "Donut". It was a step back in the technical area compared to the Samsung with a 3.2MP autofocus camera but without a LED flash, and due to some relaxed hardware, better battery life.

Fast forward to today, Android really has made amazing advances and pushing the smartphone into near tablet with larger screens, cameras that can keep up with nearly any point &shoot, and processors that would have never been thought possible on a mobile phone.

While I don't have the One X, I do think it's a great phone. I closed down my account with AT&T but stuck with T-Mobile and currently still use a Galaxy S2 (no lawsuit bickering please...)

The last HTC Phone I had was the Sensation and I loved most of it (still no Mac support). Very stylish design and such. My only problem was with the unibody design and short battery life.

I thought I'd give Samsung another shot and the current S2 and S3 are incredible phones. If T-Mobile had the much better One X as opposed to the One S, I'd have one without question.

Mac support can be achieved by using "Missing Sync" for Android devices. Which will sync your DRM free music from iTunes along with photos in iPhoto.

You got a great phone, Android devices have had a bumpy road over the years and yesterday is no exception, but life goes on in the technology world. Android and iOS will still thrive and BlackBerry phones may end up making a comeback if RIM can shake the boring image they have a stigma with. Not sure what will become of Samsung but I wouldn't mind an update that gives me stock ICS or Jelly Bean.

The chase is always fun and the ability to customize nearly every part of an Android phone makes it truly yours instead of having to conform to what Apple offers.

leon odell

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
What he's talking about requires you to be rooted and running a custom recovery. If you root, you can then use Titanium Backup to backup your apps on device and sync them with various services.
Yes I should have said this. Everybody I know "roots" their phone and puts in a custom rom of THEIR choice. Go to XDA developers and read what is out there for your phone. Usually the one with the most replies is the best bet, it certainly has the most info. Of course you can keep changing every day if you want. Thats why Amon Ra is so good. It allows you to go back to the previous settings. There is Clockwork Mod also for this but the senior developers dont recomend it due to it sometimes misses things that you need wiped to start fresh with a new rom. If you use Titanium Backup (root version free on market, its the one I use) it allows you to backup every single app . EG ,If you remove an app and a week later you want it back , TB has it in the uninstalled section. This app does a lot of things, the more familier you get with it the more you learn.Remember on XDA you cay find help with almost anything, all you do is ask. Join XDA (free) go to your phone section ,have fun. Simply: to back up everything ( if you need to go back because you install something and it screws up the phone) use Amon Ra, if you install a new operating system or something that removes apps use Titanium Backup to put these apps back on the phone.REMEMBER its easy to get in the habit of doing a backup with Amon Ra before you install something new. Its saved me lots of times when I "bricked" my phone.

dmatherl

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
Hi All,

Last week friday I switched to the HOX after being with the iPhone since the very first one.
I thought I would take a few moments and reflect on my thoughts and share them here for anyone interested.

Lets start with the good stuff.

The phone design and screen are just incredible.
The screen looks just amazing and like the icons are floating on top of it.
It totally blows the Retina display out of the water especially with the 4.7" sized screen vs 3.5" on my iPhone.

Being able to customize everything and having a actual file structure just rocks.
The user interface even though being way more complicated when delving a little deeper is way better then what I heard and experienced when looking at Android a couple of years ago at various stores.
However since I always jailbroke my iPhones I'm very used to going deeper then just skin deep.

The speed and animations are very responsive and at the same level as iOS and this wasn't always the case in the past but there are no stutters or lag at all with ICS.

Some little design quirks that I have irritating this far are the buttons on the HOX specifically the power and volume buttons are very touchy and I always seem to activate the volume levels when grabbing the phone and the top one gets pushed when just looking at it funny or touch it lightly.
Having a back button is awesome and way undersold on the Android phones.

The battery live is okay not great but not as bad as I thought it would be and needs a little more consideration on how you use the phone and features vs the iPhone 4.
But it does last me through the day mostly when I'm not playing with it all the time which is hard on a new phone.

Some of the things that irritate the crap out of me are not the fault of the design but mostly with At&t and HTC's.

Starting with OTA updates, I've been trying to update to ICS 4.0.4 since I got the phone and nothing.
For an update that has been out for 3 weeks that is inexcusable to say it in a nice way.
Syncing and backup / restore is an utter joke and could and should be easy as pie nowadays but isn't.
For HTC not having a sync client for Mac is unbelievable.

So having grown tired of waiting on the OTA update I decided to do it manually and booted into my windows 7 partition, installed the sync manager and backed everything up and started the update.

I understood that it would wipe the phone and stuff but hey I synced and backed it up before so no big deal I'll just do a restore when done.
Well no it did not work, I had to set up my phone again like I did when I first got it.
Yes the Google stuff and apps no problem but everything else not so much.
I had to enter all my settings again including all my email accounts wallpaper and anything else you can think of.
I mean WTF are they thinking? this should be a no brainer, I should be able to attach my phone and restore to get everything back the way it was.

People on how bloated iTunes is and that everything has to go through it but at least it works.
Anyway I will never do that again and hope that HTC, At&t and google get their act together to fix that simple stuff.

The other thing which is small and probably can be fixed and I just have not figured it out yet is that every time I download a app it wants to put a shortcut on my home screens somewhere and I don't like that.
If I want an icon shortcut there I will put it there, isn't that the reason you have a app drawer.

Anyway other than that I love the phone and OS and highly recommend the phone.
If you like me are coming from the iPhone my advice is simple.
Do not compare the two on how things were done on your old phone but look at it as the new device and way of doing things it is.
If you only look for bad things then that is all you will find.

Sorry for the lengthy post and I hope that it will help someone.
If you have any pointers or tips please let me hear them.
Oh I'll attach a pic of my Home screen too.

Thanks,
Dukeblue91

You say that you used to jailbreak your iPhone, if that's the case why haven't you rooted? First off you can use roms that have the latest software updates as well as amazing tweaks and incredible battery life. I'm currently running android 4.1.1 jellybean on my HTC one X.

dukeblue91

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
You say that you used to jailbreak your iPhone, if that's the case why haven't you rooted? First off you can use roms that have the latest software updates as well as amazing tweaks and incredible battery life. I'm currently running android 4.1.1 jellybean on my HTC one X.

dmatherl,

I had upgraded to the 4.0.4 upgrade before I knew that it would take away my ability to root the device.
At least this is what I have read since then.
I wish I hadn't done so now, but I will root as soon there is a new way of doing so.

Seggzy

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I used the air android app and as great of an app as it is it is nowhere near iTunes.
Lest also not forget that you don't need a cable to sync with iTunes and can do everything via wifi too but USB is way faster then wifi and when you have allot of data it helps tremendously.

we aren't talking about the physical cable or wifi to connect to the computer.... Why connect at all??

"well i have to 'sync' my music..."

Google Play Music lets you store 20,000 songs in 'the cloud' and stream to your phone or any other device for free.

"what about my pictures? i gotta back those up don't I?

Dropbox and or Google+
instantly upload pictures and videos to your own personal 'cloud'.
And with dropbox it is then instantly download to your computer... so when i take a pic within 10 seconds i have it backed up in 3 different locations.

"I understand all that but its the only way to get my movies on my phone."

well you got me there... That is the only case i can see where you need to transfer that movie you downloaded that some guy recorded on his camcorder in an empty movie theater somewhere... JK

Please let me know if i missed something. Cut your cords people... oh wait you still need them to charge... for now. moowahahaha lol

dukeblue91

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
we aren't talking about the physical cable or wifi to connect to the computer.... Why connect at all??

"well i have to 'sync' my music..."

Google Play Music lets you store 20,000 songs in 'the cloud' and stream to your phone or any other device for free.

"what about my pictures? i gotta back those up don't I?

Dropbox and or Google+
instantly upload pictures and videos to your own personal 'cloud'.
And with dropbox it is then instantly download to your computer... so when i take a pic within 10 seconds i have it backed up in 3 different locations.

"I understand all that but its the only way to get my movies on my phone."

well you got me there... That is the only case i can see where you need to transfer that movie you downloaded that some guy recorded on his camcorder in an empty movie theater somewhere... JK

Please let me know if i missed something. Cut your cords people... oh wait you still need them to charge... for now. moowahahaha lol

Seggzy

I understand all that and am working around all that.
The issue I had was when having to do a complete restore that it did not revered everything the way it was.

Putting things on the phone is quite easy weather by USB or wifi and works well including movies via drag and drop.
It is just different then what I'm used too but not better or worse just different.

dukeblue91

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
I don't really understand that, so u can root a stock android phone but once you update it you can't?

Yes from what I understand is that the update closed the loophole that was used to root.
From what I read it is something At&t did with locking down the rom and this is not something that is being done on all devices.

This is how I understand it, someone else here may be able to shed more light on this.

bbbv1

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Chuckle...

Your mistake is plugging your phone into your computer. This is Android. We don't need to cable up for ANYTHING. Just lose your old Apple habits, put the cord away, and you will be much happier.

I've never even once cabled my HOX to my Computer. Its 2012, big guy, not 1998 any more. ;)
Good tip but you are misinformed with IOS developments. Cable is no longer required to connect your iphone to PC. You can use WIFI. In fact you no longer need a PC. You can simply connect to icloud OTA style.

tatico28

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Chuckle...

Your mistake is plugging your phone into your computer. This is Android. We don't need to cable up for ANYTHING. Just lose your old Apple habits, put the cord away, and you will be much happier.

I've never even once cabled my HOX to my Computer. Its 2012, big guy, not 1998 any more. ;)

Good tip but you are misinformed with IOS developments. Cable is no longer required to connect your iphone to PC. You can use WIFI. In fact you no longer need a PC. You can simply connect to icloud OTA style.

can you wipe,back up, restore your ios device without connecting it to your mac or computer?

this is what we are talking about here no need to connect the phone to the computer in any way, this is the freedom that we have with android devices oppose to ios.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Let's not get too off-topic here.

Amon Ra is a type of recovery that's not as known or widespread as it used to be. It's not an app.

For our phone if you do root and install a custom recovery you would want to use TWRP (Team Win Recovery Project) as it's the most stable and supported. ClockworkMod has some issues for our device.

bbbv1

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
can you wipe,back up, restore your ios device without connecting it to your mac or computer?

this is what we are talking about here no need to connect the phone to the computer in any way, this is the freedom that we have with android devices oppose to ios.
yes you can wipe and restore your ios device with icloud. no computer needed. The point is even though we are android fans we should not spread misinformation about other platforms.

bpear96

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
dmatherl,

I had upgraded to the 4.0.4 upgrade before I knew that it would take away my ability to root the device.
At least this is what I have read since then.
I wish I hadn't done so now, but I will root as soon there is a new way of doing so.
Normally you could just unlock the bootloader without root, using htcDEV, but AT&T blocked that for there one x. Im not sure if you have the at&t model, but if you do. only way to unlock bootloader is to have root first, then use superCID, then you can use htc dev unlock bootloader. With a unlocked bootloader you can install awesome roms and tweaks like, cm10, aokp, miui and sense based roms. If you have a non-At&t one x, you can unlock your bootloader with htc dev, then root easily after that. Make sure you find out if you have a snapdragon (lte, dual core) or tegra 3(non lte, quad) before you install roms, if you are going to.
I have a AT&T One X running cm10 myself and love it :D

and yes from what i can tell 4.0.4 blocked the root exploit, that allowed you to root without a unlocked bootloader on the lte one x, but im sure there will be a new one soon.

Reactions: Iamdunne

furydude39

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,

Last week friday I switched to the HOX after being with the iPhone since the very first one.
I thought I would take a few moments and reflect on my thoughts and share them here for anyone interested.

Lets start with the good stuff.

The phone design and screen are just incredible.
The screen looks just amazing and like the icons are floating on top of it.
It totally blows the Retina display out of the water especially with the 4.7" sized screen vs 3.5" on my iPhone.

Being able to customize everything and having a actual file structure just rocks.
The user interface even though being way more complicated when delving a little deeper is way better then what I heard and experienced when looking at Android a couple of years ago at various stores.
However since I always jailbroke my iPhones I'm very used to going deeper then just skin deep.

The speed and animations are very responsive and at the same level as iOS and this wasn't always the case in the past but there are no stutters or lag at all with ICS.

Some little design quirks that I have irritating this far are the buttons on the HOX specifically the power and volume buttons are very touchy and I always seem to activate the volume levels when grabbing the phone and the top one gets pushed when just looking at it funny or touch it lightly.
Having a back button is awesome and way undersold on the Android phones.

The battery live is okay not great but not as bad as I thought it would be and needs a little more consideration on how you use the phone and features vs the iPhone 4.
But it does last me through the day mostly when I'm not playing with it all the time which is hard on a new phone.

Some of the things that irritate the crap out of me are not the fault of the design but mostly with At&t and HTC's.

Starting with OTA updates, I've been trying to update to ICS 4.0.4 since I got the phone and nothing.
For an update that has been out for 3 weeks that is inexcusable to say it in a nice way.
Syncing and backup / restore is an utter joke and could and should be easy as pie nowadays but isn't.
For HTC not having a sync client for Mac is unbelievable.

So having grown tired of waiting on the OTA update I decided to do it manually and booted into my windows 7 partition, installed the sync manager and backed everything up and started the update.

I understood that it would wipe the phone and stuff but hey I synced and backed it up before so no big deal I'll just do a restore when done.
Well no it did not work, I had to set up my phone again like I did when I first got it.
Yes the Google stuff and apps no problem but everything else not so much.
I had to enter all my settings again including all my email accounts wallpaper and anything else you can think of.
I mean WTF are they thinking? this should be a no brainer, I should be able to attach my phone and restore to get everything back the way it was.

People on how bloated iTunes is and that everything has to go through it but at least it works.
Anyway I will never do that again and hope that HTC, At&t and google get their act together to fix that simple stuff.

The other thing which is small and probably can be fixed and I just have not figured it out yet is that every time I download a app it wants to put a shortcut on my home screens somewhere and I don't like that.
If I want an icon shortcut there I will put it there, isn't that the reason you have a app drawer.

Anyway other than that I love the phone and OS and highly recommend the phone.
If you like me are coming from the iPhone my advice is simple.
Do not compare the two on how things were done on your old phone but look at it as the new device and way of doing things it is.
If you only look for bad things then that is all you will find.

Sorry for the lengthy post and I hope that it will help someone.
If you have any pointers or tips please let me hear them.
Oh I'll attach a pic of my Home screen too.

Thanks,
Dukeblue91
Hello all,
I have been on TMobile for quite a while now, can't stand att, I currently have a my touch 4g, which came with an app from HTC called doubletwist which is a communication app for Mac To HTC so try that might work

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xak47d