Alert issue while not wearing watch

bennett22

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, just recently got a Galaxy watch 4 44mm, I've been through every setting I can think of, is there a way to have the phone sound an alert when I'm not wearing the watch like my previous galaxy watch did that runs in tizen? It's one of the reasons i have the watch since i don't always hear my phone because of the noise, but can see/hear my old watch go off when I am standing at my toolbox, wearing it while I'm at work is not an option as it'll be destroyed in a matter of a few hours lol. Thanks in advance

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
That's odd, the phone SHOULD still display, vibrate, and sound alerts, UNLESS you instruct it not to do so when the watch is connected. On the Wearable app, go to your Watch, then Watch Settings. There, find the Notifications section and make sure 'Mute notifications on phone' is turned off. Also, just in case, try turning off the Sync Do not Disturb toggle to see if that helps.

If not, I'd try resetting your watch (so it re-connects and resets the connection to your phone). To prevent data loss, make sure your watch is backed up to your Samsung account before you do this.

bennett22

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Did some searching on the internet when i finally made it home from work early this morning. Seems as though with all the new Samsung watches, if you're not wearing it, theres not sound for the notifications. Found a post from last year that it was supposedly supposed to be "fixed" with an update, but apparently that hasn't happened

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Anything specific? I have the 4 and have no issues with notifications coming both on my phone and watch, whether I'm wearing it or not.

bennett22

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Anything specific? I have the 4 and have no issues with notifications coming both on my phone and watch, whether I'm wearing it or not.
I don't get any alerts at all when I'm not wearing it. Even after i unlock it because I have Samsung pay set up. I'm gonna try turning off the pin lock and let it disable Samsung pay and try again when i get home. I was really liking the watch too, until I noticed that. I can't wear it at work because I work on heavy duty trucks and I'd probably destroy it within a couple of hours, so I would just leave it on my toolbox. My galaxy watch I had before that always gave me the alerts and turned the screen on and i would notice it if I didn't hear my phone go off

bennett22

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so I think I finally have it figured out. I went into the wear app again and did some digging around. I went into the "your connected phone" section, then went into the remote connection and set up the Samsung account so that it was also on the watch. Once I did that I tested everything out, and now if I have the watch sitting on the table and the alerts come through with wifi on/off on both devices. Now I can give it a thorough run at work tomorrow and see what happens

bennett22

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
well, i had it working, then it stopped working. i give up. not sure if i'm gonna return it, trade it on a gw5, or keep it

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I'd try wiping the watch and starting 'fresh' (or from a back up so you don't have to set it up and lose data). It's very weird behavior, and I've used pretty much every watch since the Sport 2 and never had an issue like that. That being said, trade-in offers for the 5 aren't too bad right now.

bennett22

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I'd try wiping the watch and starting 'fresh' (or from a back up so you don't have to set it up and lose data). It's very weird behavior, and I've used pretty much every watch since the Sport 2 and never had an issue like that. That being said, trade-in offers for the 5 aren't too bad right now.

yeah, i tried that to as long as doing a hard reset with the power/back buttons and going into the menu. also deleted the galaxy watch4 manager from the phone apps, the only thing i haven't gotten to reset in the wearable app was the connected phone section. after all the resets, that still keeps the memory from the original set up. i think if i could get that reset, i might start working like i got it to before and alert/turn screen on without wearing it