Aliexpress Android Head Unit - Frozen Screen - Caused by faulty camera?

colink2

Mar 3, 2023
Visit site
I just installed a new Android 13 Head unit. Used the radio and sat nav yesterday.

It came with the correct connections for a VW vehicle.

Today I started the unit up and confirmed radio and satnav were still working. plugged in a AHD 1080P 30hz reverse camera to Video Input 1.

I cannot remember of I turned the unit off and on again. In any case within a few minutes the display froze. No manual or touch buttons worked. Power off would not work.

I unplugged the camera

It would only turn off by turning the ignition off. On restarting the unit loaded android and then froze at what would be a surround view of the vehicle if surround cameras were fitted. Same as before, no buttons working.

I pressed the restart button (a few times). Unit did restart but froze at the same time.

I have left the unit disconnected form power for 1 hour. Same thing.

The camera was not supplied by the same seller as the head unit, but seller confirmed compatibility with the camera.

I checked to ensure there was not fault with the camera that might send a 12v feed to the yellow phono plug.

I very much doubt, even an incompatible camera would cause the unit to freeze on every start-up, particularly after a reset., but it definitely happened around the same time as plugging in the camera.

Does anyone think the camera could have done any damage? If yes, it could do the same to the replacement unit - which I assume the seller will send me.

Or is this just a faulty head unit and a co-incidence?

Thanks ColinK

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Android car radios are all products of questionable quality at best, sold by fly by night retailers that have zero customer support. If not too late, I would return it and get a true radio from an established brand. Most regular radios these days can accept a video input.

colink2

Mar 3, 2023
Visit site
Was this unit a plug and play for your vehicle? I would disconnect the camera and should have a hard reset button to press in to reset the unit.
Yes, came with correct cables for vehicle and did plug and play. Not sure what the reset button did. It does not reset all.

I powered off overnight and it started OK.
I found that the camera did feeeze the display but was OK when turned off. Probably as settings not set as AHD 1080P 30hz

However as I was adjusting settings (restart and camera unplugged) the unit froze again. Most power down (unplugged) and restarts (no camera) causes a total freeze on startup. So fairly sure the unit is faulty. Seller notified.

colink2

Mar 3, 2023
Visit site
Android car radios are all products of questionable quality at best, sold by fly by night retailers that have zero customer support. If not too late, I would return it and get a true radio from an established brand. Most regular radios these days can accept a video input.
You are probably right. With further diagnosis, reset, restart, no camera the unit mostly freezes.

I will persist for a while :)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yes, came with correct cables for vehicle and did plug and play. Not sure what the reset button did. It does not reset all.

I powered off overnight and it started OK.
I found that the camera did feeeze the display but was OK when turned off. Probably as settings not set as AHD 1080P 30hz

However as I was adjusting settings (restart and camera unplugged) the unit froze again. Most power down (unplugged) and restarts (no camera) causes a total freeze on startup. So fairly sure the unit is faulty. Seller notified.
If you can return it, I would.

Last edited:
Reactions: Laura Knotek

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sketch232