An open letter to the moderators of this forum

James Falconer

Former Community Manager
Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Howdy all, time for me to chime in on this thread.

Let me preface by saying THANK YOU to all the members and mods that have joined in the discussion.

That said, I'm concerned with the bickering back and forth. We're ALL better than this. Both our members and mods are doing all they can to make sure Android Central remains the BEST and most AWESOME Android community out there. We're all on the same team here, and arguing with our brothers and sisters here is not going to change a thing!

Let's be productive and respect each other. With that in mind...

For members with concerns: If you have a problem with anything (a thread, a member, a mod, an editor, Phil, honestly, ANYTHING), PLEASE contact me directly. You can reach me via PM or email at james AT mobilenations dot com. I'm here for ya. I'm in contact with our mods, our EIC's and our tech team all the time, so I'll be able to address any issue with the right people immediately.

A note on our mod team: These guys and girls do a largely thankless job, and frankly, I don't know how they do it. 1.5 million+ members, 2 million+ posts, hundreds of thousands of threads, they try to make sense of it all and keep things, well? awesome. For that I am thankful, and I am sure most everyone feels the same way. It's a tough gig, but they do it, and do it well.

That's all for now. Remember, I am just a PM or email away!

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Howdy all, time for me to chime in on this thread.

Let me preface by saying THANK YOU to all the members and mods that have joined in the discussion.

That said, I'm concerned with the bickering back and forth. We're ALL better than this. Both our members and mods are doing all they can to make sure Android Central remains the BEST and most AWESOME Android community out there. We're all on the same team here, and arguing with our brothers and sisters here is not going to change a thing!

Let's be productive and respect each other. With that in mind...

For members with concerns: If you have a problem with anything (a thread, a member, a mod, an editor, Phil, honestly, ANYTHING), PLEASE contact me directly. You can reach me via PM or email at james AT mobilenations dot com. I'm here for ya. I'm in contact with our mods, our EIC's and our tech team all the time, so I'll be able to address any issue with the right people immediately.

A note on our mod team: These guys and girls do a largely thankless job, and frankly, I don't know how they do it. 1.5 million+ members, 2 million+ posts, hundreds of thousands of threads, they try to make sense of it all and keep things, well? awesome. For that I am thankful, and I am sure most everyone feels the same way. It's a tough gig, but they do it, and do it well.

That's all for now. Remember, I am just a PM or email away!

James thank you for weighing in.

Spartacus MD

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I like that my post has inspired some genuine discussion between the mods and members. That is a step in the right direction.

I will reply in full tonight with some patterns I've noticed but for now just a few words.

Mods: As a mod, you should never feel insulted that someone had disagreed with your decisions. I see some of you getting defensive rather than staying objective. I hear mention of forum rules all the time and yet I've never heard someone say "you broke rule # and therefore I am now going to verbally spank you." That being said, disagreement and discontent from users is an expected part of your job and I don't envy you for how many times you have to assail people's concerns. What worries me most is again, how certain mods bring in what seems to be baggage into their post. Not everyone is trying to cause trouble. Some of us are here for fun and I would echo what someone else said earlier about interesting threads being shut down because of one person, or one mod. Very disheartening.

Users: No one is perfect. Were I a mod, I'm sure I'd have part of the responsibility for the existence of this thread. We can't nitpick old arguments or cure old hurts. Furthermore, this is not a trial....we are not trying to hang anyone out to dry. The goal is to set a precedent for how we perceive to be treated, to better help them fine tune the ways they moderate to make this a cohesive place for information sharing. A great many people have had only positive experiences with the mods lending more evidence to the fact that this is not a general problem with the system but rather isolated incidents. I will not deny that there is a problem, however. Let us continue this discussion with the same civility so far illustrated in this thread. More on this tonight.

Finally to the person who stated in no direct words that if you're not happy why don't you just leave, I have a little something for you. It's called hypocrisy. If you were unhappy with this thread then why did you post in it? Your answer is mine.

Posted via Android Central App

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Well said my friend. I'm crazy surprised this isn't closed yet.

I think it is a step in the right direction for Paul627g to leave this thread open. Open, constructive communication between people on opposing sides is always an air freshener regardless of the issue. Other than one post everyone seems to be behaving themselves and expressing their heartfelt opinions. Both sides have learned something and hopefully things will improve in the future. Incidentally, if you want to know the importance of this thread just consider that the manager of the entire community took the time to post here. I for one appreciate his participation.

delta7

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I don't even have a android device but I'm gonna say from what I see at times the mods try pretty hard to prevent e-fighting over phones (ONE VS GS4) come to mind. I think people get too worked up over something as frugal as a phone imo. I understand that you're proud of your phone, your choices, you prefer a certain skin or whatever but when people start fighting and trolling over phones and intentionally try to stir up the other crowd then the mods need to step in.

The issue is with people getting their feelings hurt over comments someone else said over a phone that they tend to carry and people need to learn to let it go. Listen to the podcast when once in a while Phil comments on it just being a phone, nothing more, nothing less.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Finally to the person who stated in no direct words that if you're not happy why don't you just leave, I have a little something for you. It's called hypocrisy. If you were unhappy with this thread then why did you post in it? Your answer is mine.

Because there should be more important things in people's lives than getting all hot and bothered by a cell phone forum...If that's not the case for some then I feel sorry for them.

Spartacus MD

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Because there should be more important things in people's lives than getting all hot and bothered by a cell phone forum...If that's not the case for some then I feel sorry for them.

Again, why did you feel the need to reply to a statement you disagree with. This thread is still in a forum, and that sentence took you some time to write. Why are you wasting time in a topic you don't care about?

The obvious answer is that you want your opinion heard. And that's what this whole conversation is about.

It's funny, people love to jump in and say what other people should and should not care about without realizing that they don't HAVE to care.

Edit: don't feel sorry for me, I have plenty in life to do. And I frequent this forum enough to care about its content and atmosphere. ;)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Again, why did you feel the need to reply to a statement you disagree with. This thread is still in a forum, and that sentence took you some time to write. Why are you wasting time in a topic you don't care about?

The obvious answer is that you want your opinion heard. And that's what this whole conversation is about.

It's funny, people love to jump in and say what other people should and should not care about without realizing that they don't HAVE to care.

I'm sure they feel compelled to respond to direct accusations of hypocrisy in the same way that you feel the need to belittle their opinions because they contrast with yours.

jdoee100

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site

Edit: don't feel sorry for me, I have plenty in life to do. And I frequent this forum enough to care about its content and atmosphere. ;)

Spartacus, don't let these guys ruin this thread. You got a good thing going here, don't ruin it by responding to these lowly attacks.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Spartacus, don't let these guys ruin this thread. You got a good thing going here, don't ruin it by responding to these lowly attacks.

Same question posed to you as well then... why is there a need to belittle and insult those who disagree with you? If you're correct, let your arguments stand for themselves and engage with constructive dialogue, rather than run from it.

BobR1908

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
First, I completely agree with the OP. Second, I appreciate Kevin allowing this discussion to take place without shutting it down immediately. I still say a moderator's job is to moderate, not to become involved in the debates and conversations going on here. If a moderator wants to make a comment related to the conversation then he or she should do so without the moderator signage attached to his or her avatar. If a user disagrees with a moderator they run the risk of being cautioned or warned because of their comment. There is even a moderator/editor who cruises in and threatens people. I visit and am a member of numerous forums and this is the only one where the relationship between the moderators and the users is contentious. I hope the moderators take a look at the issue and make this a more user friendly forum. Human behaviorists will tell you that if a few people speak out on an issue there are undoubtedly many others who feel the same but won't voice their concerns.

Tohio brings up a very legitimate point in saying a moderators job is to moderate and not to become involved in a debate or discussion. Far stretched example, but when the Presidential Debates are held the moderator never gives his/her view or opinion and solely moderates the debate that is taking place. The role of a moderator is to do just that so I would agree with Tohio when he recommends moderators not actively participating in the discussion unless they are using a secondary forum name that does not have their moderator signage. Understandably, the moderators are just as passionate about their phones and technology as we all are so they certainly deserve the right to participate and debate - just shouldn't be doing it with their moderator based account.

In closing, I will say I enjoy these forums. My experience has been great, I love a good healthy debate and the moderators all in all do a great job as James said moderating the volume of threads and posts they do. Kudos to them, let's continue to enjoy the forums and happy 4th of July to all my American friends.

FishenFool

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Then you should know that hearing from just as many satisfied customers as you do those that have issues is actually a good thing. It does not imply that half of your customers are dissatisfied, or that only half are satisfied.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

He knows what he's talking about because it is normally 90/10 dissatisfied/satisfied. I worked a lot in customer service and tech support. It is human nature that people are far more likely to sign up/sign in/call to complain about something than to hand out praise.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app

BobR1908

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
He knows what he's talking about because it is normally 90/10 dissatisfied/satisfied. I worked a lot in customer service and tech support. It is human nature that people are far more likely to sign up/sign in/call to complain about something than to hand out praise.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app

I agree. Anyone who has ever worked in customer service or technical support knows that people don't call in and say "Hey! I just wanted to call and let you know that my phone is working awesome. No problems, everything is great!" LOL. People make contact when there is a question, issue or problem 99% of the time.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site

Oh Mr. Surgeon you're wise beyond your ways.

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I say let everyone mod for a few hours. You know, the walk a mile in their shoes thing. That goes for everybody for everything. It never looks the same as it does from the inside looking out.

Impractical, I know. But I'm just trying to make a point. Nothing is ever as easy as it looks to others, whether you're a doctor or a mod. There are days you want to smack everyone and anyone, and days you just shrug and say oh well.

If we were all perfect, we'd be God.

We can save that for another thread.

Sent via Note II

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 6, 2013
Visit site
Tohio brings up a very legitimate point in saying a moderators job is to moderate and not to become involved in a debate or discussion. Far stretched example, but when the Presidential Debates are held the moderator never gives his/her view or opinion and solely moderates the debate that is taking place. The role of a moderator is to do just that so I would agree with Tohio when he recommends moderators not actively participating in the discussion unless they are using a secondary forum name that does not have their moderator signage. Understandably, the moderators are just as passionate about their phones and technology as we all are so they certainly deserve the right to participate and debate - just shouldn't be doing it with their moderator based account.

Thank You! This is something that has seemed rather alien to me since joining these forums. It's almost like the moderators are "micro-managing" the threads to their personal likings rather than letting conversations flow naturally and only stepping in when necessary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Treyrday86