Android 7 Nougat for the Moto X Pure Edition

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I clicked on a thread that was titled, "It's December 20. Where's Nougat?", and was taken here.

My response, to that question would be, "Nougat? Where's the September 1st security patch?" It's nearly four months old, for crying out loud!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I clicked on a thread that was titled, "It's December 20. Where's Nougat?", and was taken here.

My response, to that question would be, "Nougat? Where's the September 1st security patch?" It's nearly four months old, for crying out loud!
Motorola never committed to an update schedule for security patches.

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Motorola never committed to an update schedule for security patches.

Well, I read it someplace, before buying this phone and I don't usually put any stake in just any comment or review.
Don't get me wrong, I still really like this phone and believe it to be the best, for me, currently. I just think four months is too long to wait for a security patch.

zuben el genubi

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
If you double check on a search, there is nothing before June or July 2016. Even if you try for 2015, there is nothing. Someone has wiped all previous posts from the internet. Even Duck Duck Go can't find any.
I do agree with the poster. I also saw something like that in Feb. 2016 when I bought phone. Could have been on GSMarena. Moto decided against it in June or July and replaced web pages.

I just went back to some old posts on a Moto forum. People were discussing monthly updates to security.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Well, I read it someplace, before buying this phone and I don't usually put any stake in just any comment or review.
Don't get me wrong, I still really like this phone and believe it to be the best, for me, currently. I just think four months is too long to wait for a security patch.

I'm still on the May 1, 2016 update. I've seen posts over the past three or four weeks where other Moto XPE users have gotten an update (November 1, I believe).

My XPE is unlocked on AT&T; not that it much matters. When I bought this phone, the consensus was that this phone would get updated for security patches, improvements, and OS platform updates in Nexus style. I don't think Moto/Lenovo plan on doing anything further with it. It's a disappointment a clean, smooth phone like this isn't getting due attention.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm still on the May 1, 2016 update. I've seen posts over the past three or four weeks where other Moto XPE users have gotten an update (November 1, I believe).

My XPE is unlocked on AT&T; not that it much matters. When I bought this phone, the consensus was that this phone would get updated for security patches, improvements, and OS platform updates in Nexus style. I don't think Moto/Lenovo plan on doing anything further with it. It's a disappointment a clean, smooth phone like this isn't getting due attention.

That was the assumption. Unless Motorola said it would be that way, the consensus was wrong.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
If you double check on a search, there is nothing before June or July 2016. Even if you try for 2015, there is nothing. Someone has wiped all previous posts from the internet. Even Duck Duck Go can't find any.
I do agree with the poster. I also saw something like that in Feb. 2016 when I bought phone. Could have been on GSMarena. Moto decided against it in June or July and replaced web pages.

I just went back to some old posts on a Moto forum. People were discussing monthly updates to security.
LOL... No one "wiped all previous posts from the internet", that really doesn't happen when it is from multiple sources all over the globe, and especially not for information like this.

The reason you can't find references to it, is there never was a promise or guarantee of 2 years of updates... it was always stated by Moto that there would be "quick updates" and Google's Motorola had agreed in principle to the 18-24 months of updates for most devices. Many people and article writers put this two together and that somehow became a promise or guarantee it would occur, and for a while Google's Motorola largely fulfilled that "promise" that didn't really exist.

But does that show that Moto/Lenovo never made a promise? Nope, but articles like this one from over a year ago, almost begging Lenovo's Moto for a concrete update policy of some sort, imply there never was a promise or guarantee.

The end result here is Lenovo has failed to stand behind the products of the company (and philosophy) they purchased... Why? Because Lenovo has a history of not caring about anything but profits and company, regardless of the customer. Unfortunately, many people see Lenovo as still part of IBM so even with all the scandals surrounding them over the years and a general lack of respect for consumers, they thrive largely on the corporate/enterprise market.

TBH, I have no idea why Lenovo bought Moto, unless it was to take the brand name that has a loyal following and respect from users and critics combined, and slap it's name on every product it can churn out and sell, and milk the name dry for the profits it can get over a few years.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
LOL... No one "wiped all previous posts from the internet", that really doesn't happen when it is from multiple sources all over the globe, and especially not for information like this.

The reason you can't find references to it, is there never was a promise or guarantee of 2 years of updates... it was always stated by Moto that there would be "quick updates" and Google's Motorola had agreed in principle to the 18-24 months of updates for most devices. Many people and article writers put this two together and that somehow became a promise or guarantee it would occur, and for a while Google's Motorola largely fulfilled that "promise" that didn't really exist.

But does that show that Moto/Lenovo never made a promise? Nope, but articles like this one from over a year ago, almost begging Lenovo's Moto for a concrete update policy of some sort, imply there never was a promise or guarantee.

The end result here is Lenovo has failed to stand behind the products of the company (and philosophy) they purchased... Why? Because Lenovo has a history of not caring about anything but profits and company, regardless of the customer. Unfortunately, many people see Lenovo as still part of IBM so even with all the scandals surrounding them over the years and a general lack of respect for consumers, they thrive largely on the corporate/enterprise market.

TBH, I have no idea why Lenovo bought Moto, unless it was to take the brand name that has a loyal following and respect from users and critics combined, and slap it's name on every product it can churn out and sell, and milk the name dry for the profits it can get over a few years.

All because of incorrect assumptions.

Motorola never committed to monthly security updates. Monthly security patches started in October 2015, after the Moto X Pure Edition release.

The promise of updates was for Android OS versions.

And the Moto X Pure Edition is scheduled to received Nougat.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
All because of incorrect assumptions.

Motorola never committed to monthly security updates. Monthly security patches started in October 2015, after the Moto X Pure Edition release.

The promise of updates was for Android OS versions.

And the Moto X Pure Edition is scheduled to received Nougat.
It is... But my Moto G 2015 isn't. :(

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
That was the assumption. Unless Motorola said it would be that way, the consensus was wrong.

They probably were assumptions, but I'm curious to know why so many people assumed that updates would happen expeditiously. I suppose because the phone has very little added software people made the assumption that because Nexus devices updated quickly, this phone would update quickly too. I was among that crowd.

There are so many vulnerabilities that phones are exposed to, one would think that updates would occur more frequently than they have on this device. I own an S7 Edge on Verizon and will likely see 7.1.1 this month. I'm excited to see what the update will bring. It are the security updates that aren't occurring that concern me.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
They probably were assumptions, but I'm curious to know why so many people assumed that updates would happen expeditiously. I suppose because the phone has very little added software people made the assumption that because Nexus devices updated quickly, this phone would update quickly too. I was among that crowd.

There are so many vulnerabilities that phones are exposed to, one would think that updates would occur more frequently than they have on this device. I own an S7 Edge on Verizon and will likely see 7.1.1 this month. I'm excited to see what the update will bring. It are the security updates that aren't occurring that concern me.

But since there haven't been any threats that actually take advantage of those vulnerabilities, the urgency to patch them isn't there.

And there are current/2016 phones ahead of the Moto X from 2015 on Motorola's (internal) update schedule.

macawmatt

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Just saw that the DT2 just got some bluetooth certification for Nougat, hopefully we won't be far behind.

Though I expect Nougat way before I depart this phone for my new one later this year, and it was mentioned today in a release from Samsung. This fall can't get here quick enough.

Shugacookie

Dec 29, 2016
Visit site
Re: When will we get Nougat?

Does the Moto Pure 2016 have notification volume issues? My Moto z force does and I was thinking of returning it for a Pure, as I'm still within the 14 return period.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Does the Moto Pure 2016 have notification volume issues? My Moto z force does and I was thinking of returning it for a Pure, as I'm still within the 14 return period.

There is no Moto Pure 2016.

Shugacookie

Dec 29, 2016
Visit site

OK, clearly I don't know too much about the phones. Ty for the correction. Does the Pure 2015(?) have the same or similar issues with notification volume as myself and others are experiencing with the Moto z Force? Also I have been informed here there is a fix coming for this low notification issue. Does this community trust that will happen? I'm a skeptic but I'd like to keep my phone if this fix is mostly going to work. Just nervous as time is running out for me to return. Any help or guidance is appreciated.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

OK, clearly I don't know too much about the phones. Ty for the correction. Does the Pure 2015(?) have the same or similar issues with notification volume as myself and others are experiencing with the Moto z Force? Also I have been informed here there is a fix coming for this low notification issue. Does this community trust that will happen? I'm a skeptic but I'd like to keep my phone if this fix is mostly going to work. Just nervous as time is running out for me to return. Any help or guidance is appreciated.

It does not.

Macville

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site

A few of us have issues with low notification volume even if the slider is set to max. The best I can figure is that it has to do with bluetooth devices as I don't have issues if I don't use my bluetooth. A safe boot is the only way I've found to manually fix it, otherwise it comes and goes after connecting to different bluetooth devices.

straygator7

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site

My wife and I recently noticed this problem of very low volume for the notification sound on the MXPE that I bought her for Christmas. My MXPE hasn't exhibited the same issue, but unlike me she uses bluetooth to connect her phone in the car for hands-free use. Based on a brief search to determine whether there is a solution for the problem, I learned that while a software fix may be forthcoming, there is a free app called "Disable Increasing Ring" available in the Play Store that worked for some MXPE users. So I installed it on her phone this evening, followed the simple instructions, and so far it seems to have resolved the issue -- I sent a couple of text messages to test the notification sound, and it came through at full volume (actually louder than normal) even with bluetoooth activated. I can't offer any assurances that it will work for others, but it did for us.

Macville

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site

My wife and I recently noticed this problem of very low volume for the notification sound on the MXPE that I bought her for Christmas. My MXPE hasn't exhibited the same issue, but unlike me she uses bluetooth to connect her phone in the car for hands-free use. Based on a brief search to determine whether there is a solution for the problem, I learned that while a software fix may be forthcoming, there is a free app called "Disable Increasing Ring" available in the Play Store that worked for some MXPE users. So I installed it on her phone this evening, followed the simple instructions, and so far it seems to have resolved the issue -- I sent a couple of text messages to test the notification sound, and it came through at full volume (actually louder than normal) even with bluetoooth activated. I can't offer any assurances that it will work for others, but it did for us.

Is this the app that you are talking about: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...pp.disableincreasingring&hl=en&token=nkURzRxj

I wonder if the bug is that it's playing the alert sounds, and not just the ringtones, as increasing and that's why they play so quietly. If you had a really long alert sound (like 3 seconds) you could hear it getting louder as it plays.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Used it for 11 months straight. Never had the issue.