Android 9 update for S9+?

Philipmom

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
It's based on carriers if you are on a branded device. But based on past rollouts I would guess at least 2-3 months. (Would love it sooner however.)

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
I'd bet on never.

Always assume the phone will always be exactly what it is the day you buy it. Such is the state of Android phones.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'd say ... Good luck on that. Not even being rude about it I just don't see Samsung caring enough.. at least not for awhile.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Samsung phones usually get the next major release in the Spring. My Note 8 got Oreo on Easter Sunday.

Unlocked models may get it even later. My unlocked S7 Edge got Oreo about two weeks ago.

jgreg02

Aug 11, 2017
Visit site
I recall something about the S9 having a feature that was to make upgrade to P easier. anythanything about this out there?

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site

ZOMMBIE1

Trusted Member
May 24, 2015
Visit site
Don't be in a hurry. Anytime we get the new Android letter nothing changes only ruins the Samsung experience. And the recent apps\multitasking in Android P looks like trash.

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
There is very little (maybe nothing) in Pie that interests me. Even on the Pixel 2 XL I would prefer to keep Oreo for many reasons. The Pie update is the most disappointing update I recall and I have had Android devices since the original droid.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Any word on when Samsung will roll out the 9 upgrade for S9?
I think the Oreo beta for the S8 started in November and the final rollout was in March, if memory serves. Project Treble should make it a quicker turnaround but I'm taking a wait and see approach with that.

Last edited:

dew066

Jan 28, 2016
Visit site
I watched a video on Android Central about Android Pie and it talked about a feature new to Android that allows camera apps to record the info for each camera, which may be great for phones with dual rear cameras.

I'm not sure if this will benefit us or how much, but sounded like the best thing Pie has to offer Samsung.

claykin

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I think the Oreo beta for the S8 started in November and the final rollout was in March, if memory serves. Project Treble should make it a quicker turnaround but I'm taking a wait and see approach with that.

We have enough BS with Samsung as it is with them releasing 8.1 for the Note and leaving the S9 on 8.0. Complete nonsense.

Project treble could make it easier, but there's no evidence it will. Time will tell, but my bet is private beta will begin in November.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
We have enough BS with Samsung as it is with them releasing 8.1 for the Note and leaving the S9 on 8.0. Complete nonsense.

Project treble could make it easier, but there's no evidence it will. Time will tell, but my bet is private beta will begin in November.

What Note model have they released 8.1 for? It's not the Note 8.