Android Auto Constantly Disconnects

lattemaker

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Hello all! I am having a problem keeping my S21 Ultra connected to my car via wired Android Auto. I can't for the life of me figure out why. At first I was *seemingly* making up that it was happening every time I turned a corner or hit a bump in the road that it would disconnect. Therefore I tried a total of four different USB A to C cables and it still continued to happen. I've tried clearing the cache/memory for Android Auto and it doesn't fix it. I have pretty much narrowed it down to the S21 because it got so bad that for a recent road trip where I needed GPS I switched back to my iPhone 12 Pro Max....I never had one disconnect. So I know its not my cars input plug, and I know its not a cable issue for the S21. It must be the phone itself. I have done everything that I can think of except for a complete erase and restore of the phone. I'd rather not have to do that but I will if anyone things that has a serious chance of it just having a bug or some corrupt file that restoring it would fix.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!!!

If it matters the car is a 2020 VW GTI.

FACTagent

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
It's a known issue with the S21 that Samsung was supposed to fix concurrent with the July security patch. I don't have an Android Auto capable car so I haven't been able to test.

lattemaker

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
It's a known issue with the S21 that Samsung was supposed to fix concurrent with the July security patch. I don't have an Android Auto capable car so I haven't been able to test.

Curious to know how many more people are experiencing this. It seems like from what your saying its a software issue but it does not effect everyone? It just sucks, I'm still using my iPhone due to this issue...I know that's a first world problem to have but its just as annoying to not be able to use a $1200 phone for such a silly reason.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Curious to know how many more people are experiencing this. It seems like from what your saying its a software issue but it does not effect everyone? It just sucks, I'm still using my iPhone due to this issue...I know that's a first world problem to have but its just as annoying to not be able to use a $1200 phone for such a silly reason.
You have car play and Android auto ?

lattemaker

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site

Thank you for the link. There is one thing that caught my attention though. The article says that some users are experiencing crashing when they go to unlock their phone...Once I plug my phone into the car I just leave it in a little storage cubby and its still disconnecting. I thinkkkk what I might do is just bite the bullet and for a fresh factory reset of the phone and see if that works. I was trying to dodge doing that but at this point I think it may be worth a shot...???

TheAngryToaster

Sep 14, 2020
Visit site
I had this happen a few times in my car. I have only been back in town for a few days where I have my phone plugged into my car. I haven't had it happen again yet. Like other people have mentioned the July update was suppose to contain a fix for this. It may be worth it to do a factory reset. You can always backup your device via smart switch on a computer. Unless it is a Mac that has Big Sur, Samsung is lazy and won't update smart switch for Big Sur.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thank you for the link. There is one thing that caught my attention though. The article says that some users are experiencing crashing when they go to unlock their phone...Once I plug my phone into the car I just leave it in a little storage cubby and its still disconnecting. I thinkkkk what I might do is just bite the bullet and for a fresh factory reset of the phone and see if that works. I was trying to dodge doing that but at this point I think it may be worth a shot...???
Try this cable from Anker 3.0

https://www.amazon.com.au/Anker-Pow...ag=hawk-future-22&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6962374

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
This happens to me occasionally as well, in a 2021 Subaru outback with a pixel 4a 5g. The audio pauses briefly them returns 5-10 seconds behind where I was. Is not store frequent though.

Pre_n_BluHvn

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Is it disconnecting or freezing? I was having an issue with my Note 8 freezing and it seemed to happen over bumps or after around 10 min consistently. I tried all the suggested fixes then noticed that under connected cars my car was there twice. So I deleted the cars, then re added it. Then turned off "add new cars when connected" or whatever it says. Hast frozen since. Yours might be a different issue but if all else fails you can try this.

lattemaker

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Is it disconnecting or freezing? I was having an issue with my Note 8 freezing and it seemed to happen over bumps or after around 10 min consistently. I tried all the suggested fixes then noticed that under connected cars my car was there twice. So I deleted the cars, then re added it. Then turned off "add new cars when connected" or whatever it says. Hast frozen since. Yours might be a different issue but if all else fails you can try this.

Its disconnecting. And that may have been the case. I went ahead and did a complete factory restore of my phone but have not had a chance to see if that fixed it yet. If it hasn't then I'm going to be lead to believe its either a problem with my car or phones USB port. If that is the case I will make a claim to Samsung to get a warranty replacement. I don't believe its my car's port because my iPhone which I've used a lot with my car never disconnects and never has any problems with its wired connection.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I had that issue with my Jeep Renengade. Drive a 2020 Charger now. No issue stays connected. Now I have s21 ultra

Grabber5.0

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Mine would frequently disconnect when I uses the cable that came with my phone, even though it was brand new. Switched to a different USB 3 cable and it rarely disconnects now. There have been so many AA issues though, so I'm still afraid to update every time an update comes out!

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
This, from SamMobile...

Galaxy S21 Android Auto fix pushed back to September

"Samsung has pushed back the update to September, as seen on the official Google support forums. It also states that the fix will arrive as a standalone update, and not bundled with the September security patch. It effectively means that Galaxy S21 users are stuck with a buggy version of Android Auto for nearly a month more.​"

So, there you have it!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Mathrania

Jul 3, 2017
Visit site
I would suggest you buy a new car and try out how it works

Tbh, it happens with me (sometimes) on my Toyota Highlander as well, but i always blame it on faulty cable, so all i would do is plug out and plug it in again. I am still on June security patch so not sure if July patch resolves the issue.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz