Android Guy switched to iOS for a day...

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
iphone so I can use the Apple Watch (I got a deal 200 off), and the Nexus, because I found I was NOT using the Priv pkb. I can still use the BlackBerry apps on the Nexus which I do via a hack by CB member Cobalt.

Interesting. I'm asking because I'm stuck between the Nexus and the iPhone 6S Plus. I own both phones but cannot seem to make the decision in which one to stick with. I find Google's ecosystem to be far superior to Apple and Android is so much quicker than iOS. However, iOS integrates everything so well, iMessage is so amazing and even the apps are incredible on the phone. It feels like quality build. The iPhone absolutely sucks for business though, I cannot stand the calendar and using Google apps on the device. So Nexus for business and iPhone for play. That's currently what I'm at!

KeepItReal

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
My personal opinion on Apple/iOS...the iCloud is what stands out. Backs up everything. Google has been so generous with their free Cloud storage (20gb for music? Another 20gb for pictures?) Now here's the but...they did not integrate a backup solution into Android at least equal to or close to iCloud. Android question: Did you save your contacts on the phone or Gmail? ...uhhh...You want your Calendar transferred to your new phone...again saved on phone/Gmail? Oh if you saved on the phone...uh...I think there's an App you can use......zzzz.... They could of even given 10gb backup for us...and make money on the rest. Apple gets 99¢ for anything beyond 5gb they give for free....wonder how much monthly residuals they make from their fan base? Would have made a great Google development cash flow, that we Android fans would benefit from. But it can allow carriers/providers to create backup into their phones and make that money. But even if they do, again they need to be equal to or pretty darn close to iCloud (please, the calendar at least...lol)Maybe that's the open source trade-off. Yes everyone, we can answer there's a setting, app to cure all woes, I am aware. Complete Backup should of been integrated early into Android.

The best about Android is the customization. But a lot of skills must be mastered on Android...but when mastered, your feel more connected to your phone. Of course, in a non creepy way.

Posted via the Android Central App

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
My personal opinion on Apple/iOS...the iCloud is what stands out. Backs up everything. Google has been so generous with their free Cloud storage (20gb for music? Another 20gb for pictures?) Now here's the but...they did not integrate a backup solution into Android at least equal to or close to iCloud. Android question: Did you save your contacts on the phone or Gmail? ...uhhh...You want your Calendar transferred to your new phone...again saved on phone/Gmail? Oh if you saved on the phone...uh...I think there's an App you can use......zzzz.... They could of even given 10gb backup for us...and make money on the rest. Apple gets 99¢ for anything beyond 5gb they give for free....wonder how much monthly residuals they make from their fan base? Would have made a great Google development cash flow, that we Android fans would benefit from. But it can allow carriers/providers to create backup into their phones and make that money. But even if they do, again they need to be equal to or pretty darn close to iCloud (please, the calendar at least...lol)Maybe that's the open source trade-off. Yes everyone, we can answer there's a setting, app to cure all woes, I am aware. Complete Backup should of been integrated early into Android.

The best about Android is the customization. But a lot of skills must be mastered on Android...but when mastered, your feel more connected to your phone. Of course, in a non creepy way.

Don't forget they have 4,622 messaging clients (and that's just Google). None of which work as well as iMessage. Google needed to slim down their messaging and make a uniform app that works like iMessage. Instead, we got yet another messaging app in a sea of messaging apps. That and a uniform backup would have been huge.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I liked your rant! I feel like iOS, though it obviously has merit based on its market share and the way it can push out its media (and I am impressed with its messaging component), also lacks in the customization arena. I love an OS/platform that offers me ways to customize and enhance my experience; and can even let me start over from scratch if I change my mind.

Oh, and the Priv is simply amazing. I've heard so many wonderful things about it. It's to the point that I'm thinking about grabbing it for when I upgrade. The physical keyboard looks awesome, as well. I've played with one in the store, which was cool beans! :)

Centralboy545

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Don't forget they have 4,622 messaging clients (and that's just Google). None of which work as well as iMessage. Google needed to slim down their messaging and make a uniform app that works like iMessage. Instead, we got yet another messaging app in a sea of messaging apps. That and a uniform backup would have been huge.
I'm sorry but imessage ducks bro. The main thing I hate is the pain using it between two systems.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I liked your rant! I feel like iOS, though it obviously has merit based on its market share and the way it can push out its media (and I am impressed with its messaging component), also lacks in the customization arena. I love an OS/platform that offers me ways to customize and enhance my experience; and can even let me start over from scratch if I change my mind.

Oh, and the Priv is simply amazing. I've heard so many wonderful things about it. It's to the point that I'm thinking about grabbing it for when I upgrade. The physical keyboard looks awesome, as well. I've played with one in the store, which was cool beans! :)

I think that sums it up, lack of customization makes it a boring experience. Works well, but boring. I had an iPhone 6 for a while and had to sell it.

Also, while I'm intrigued by Blackberry/Android, I don't like sliders so the Priv is out. I also downloaded Cobalt on my Android device and the experience was lacking. Hoping the two new devices bring an upgrade and I may give one a try if Blackberry finally prices their devices competitively. I don't know what they're thinking expecting people to spend $700 on something that has no following. I guess we'll see.

Arya111

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Nexus for life.

I've use Iphones and they are great, it's just my first smartphone was a Nexus. I just got super annoyed after a while not having the freedom to do some simple tasks like you could on a Nexus.

After using a Nexus, I've tried other Android flagships, but would just get super annoyed because it's just not as clean and smooth as stock.

I don't understand these billion dollar tech companies. Stop taking something that is clean and smooth - stock Android - and putting all your unnecessary BS on it.

Nexus for life.

Centralboy545

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Nexus for life.

I've use Iphones and they are great, it's just my first smartphone was a Nexus. I just got super annoyed after a while not having the freedom to do some simple tasks like you could on a Nexus.

After using a Nexus, I've tried other Android flagships, but would just get super annoyed because it's just not as clean and smooth as stock.

I don't understand these billion dollar tech companies. Stop taking something that is clean and smooth - stock Android - and putting all your unnecessary BS on it.

Nexus for life.
That's the beauty of Android. Choice. U might not like TouchWiz but I personally don't have an issue with it even though I prefer LG's ui.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site

Nexus for life.

Sometimes people like the extras that non-stock Android adds. Some enjoy DTTW. I really liked that with HTC's UI, you have themes already inside and that you can "hide" apps that you don't want to see in the app drawer.

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
It's so great to see a pretty much side by side comparison of the different phones and programs. I had an iphone 4 awhile back and I absolutely loved it. After that I went back to android and I really liked it. I missed my iphone so much though. Now I have an iphone 5s and I absolutely hate it. So i've been so in between going android or iOS for my next phone.

enigmax

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
i have been using iphone for a year now (sure i have had ios devices all the time, but not using the iphone as my only primary phone).

1) For sure the ui is boring. it cant be customized - moving icons on the screen or putting them inside folders and changing the wallpaper. Thats all. it has been pretty hard to get used to it when i had my android phone running several handy widgets at the same time (i quess around 30) and Zooper was (is) my best friend...

2) Battery life is good. much better than any of my android had/has, but i quess you cant get all in the same package.

3) widget? ehm... yeah. i rarely use them. ackward to access (scroll left, scroll up and down, press here to view more...) and when you finally got something to work, it was locked out in the next ios update.

4) imessage? i dont used it as ios isnt popular here. and i prefer apps that works with differend os's, so it doesnt matter what device im using and i dont need to know about devices the other has.

5) security? a reason i switched to iphone. i must say, that google sucks with its policy. i have only paid apps in android, but it still sucks. if i install the app today with no extra access, it gets an update tomorrow and wants to access to everywehere. E.g. today i install calculator app, with no extra permissions. tomorrow the new version is out and when updating the app, it tells you that the app wants new permissions to access my contacts, read my messages etc. what? an calculator? why? no, i probably dont switch back to android until google does something to its loose policy with apps and privacy.

6) 3d-touch. i tried to get used to it, but i havent found any feature which would make it easier to use 3Dtouch vs. launching the app.

7) live photos. no use. they were fun for couple of days. then i turned it off. also cant be saved to a nas i use.

8) live wallpaper. it is a real gimmmick - who is going to press long the lock screen just to see the backround moving?

9) siri? no. when the iphone is locked the usual answer i get it is "you have to open your iphone at first." and siri doesnt work with atv in my country...

10) sharing/downloading/uploading? a nightmare. you will hang yourself before the sun is down if you dont install Documents5.

11) camera/vid. good - but the software is way too simple. you want to install other apps at once.

12) 100mb limits to download app. eh? i was in an event once and i was supposed to install an app from appstore to get things done. no, i couldnt because the app was over 100mb. wtf? im not sure if it is now removed with ios10 - i truely hope so. if you have two ios devices with you, e.g. iphone and ipad cellular, you can round this restriction easily - using the hotspot.

13) ecosystem. i would rather say egosystem. i dont have any needs to hang myself or boost my ego building my life around a company. i always hear people saying how good it is to work with apple ecosystem, like starting to write something with your ipad and then continue with your laptop etc. or start writing a message with iphone and then grab ipad. who is switching devices between writing a simple message? i wonder how many times, except testing it, people actually do any real work changing between devices. atleast do any other work than reading emails with ipad. i dont, im not going to write or start writing texts with ipad. im not going to use pages with ipad to write anything - if i need pages, i take my macbook. pages in ios have no possibilities to add e.g. equations - again i need my macbook. but i still dont use pages because we use word at work, i should fix everything i write using pages to look good in word.

other than that, airplay works great. i cant say exactly the same with my android tvbox (it usually takes couple of steps), but the android tvbox also let me sharing the screen or airplaying with windows and ios. airdrop between osx and ios works easily.

14) apps? i have same apps on ios/android. both looks the same mostly. there might be some differences, depending on the developer usually, and because of restrictions with os (usually in ios).

15) crashing? both suffers. ios just doesnt tell you that while android openly let you know it. when apps crash in ios, you think that you just closed it. if you check the crashlog, it wasnt you, the app just crashed.

16) os? simple to use, but actually im not sure if the os is simple at all (it just looks simple) and i wonder if it is also the reason why the user has no real access to folders and a possibility to share files because the filesystem is a one big mess(?) e.g. your songs are put on abcd-named folders, each of them, and named same way oddly. if you have access to those folders (e.g. using ibrowse from your computer), you have to browse each of those folders and to listen them to find the specific song. and with every updates, they break something and several updates are needed to fix them.

17) ringtones? yeah, buy a bottle of wine and prepare yourself to follow the 500-steps procedure to make your own ringtone from the song you have.

what else? yeah, im probably not switching back to android phone until google does something to the privacy issues with apps. and the answer is not letting the user to toggle switches on and off, but rather demanding developers to honor peoples privacy and removing those apps that have ridiculous access which apps dont need. no, a calculator app doesnt need to know my bankaccount and ask a permission to write bills.

iphone does all i need from a phone. i can live with it. but ios generally? no, it becomes more complicated to do tasks than using simple functions with a phone.

i have ios and osx, also tvos, but also android and win. and everything just works! no problem to switch back and forth and no needs to build my life around any "ecosystems" and finally realize that i have invested so much money to it that i cant leave it and i have to live with it.

and... this was my personal experience - some other may think differently.

Last edited:

Friendzone

Banned
Oct 30, 2016
Visit site
i have been using iphone for a year now (sure i have had ios devices all the time, but not using the iphone as my only primary phone).

1) For sure the ui is boring. it cant be customized - moving icons on the screen or putting them inside folders and changing the wallpaper. Thats all. it has been pretty hard to get used to it when i had my android phone running several handy widgets at the same time (i quess around 30) and Zooper was (is) my best friend...

2) Battery life is good. much better than any of my android had/has, but i quess you cant get all in the same package.

3) widget? ehm... yeah. i rarely use them. ackward to access (scroll left, scroll up and down, press here to view more...) and when you finally got something to work, it was locked out in the next ios update.

4) imessage? i dont used it as ios isnt popular here. and i prefer apps that works with differend os's, so it doesnt matter what device im using and i dont need to know about devices the other has.

5) security? a reason i switched to iphone. i must say, that google sucks with its policy. i have only paid apps in android, but it still sucks. if i install the app today with no extra access, it gets an update tomorrow and wants to access to everywehere. E.g. today i install calculator app, with no extra permissions. tomorrow the new version is out and when updating the app, it tells you that the app wants new permissions to access my contacts, read my messages etc. what? an calculator? why? no, i probably dont switch back to android until google does something to its loose policy with apps and privacy.

6) 3d-touch. i tried to get used to it, but i havent found any feature which would make it easier to use 3Dtouch vs. launching the app.

7) live photos. no use. they were fun for couple of days. then i turned it off. also cant be saved to a nas i use.

8) live wallpaper. it is a real gimmmick - who is going to press long the lock screen just to see the backround moving?

9) siri? no. when the iphone is locked the usual answer i get it is "you have to open your iphone at first." and siri doesnt work with atv in my country...

10) sharing/downloading/uploading? a nightmare. you will hang yourself before the sun is down if you dont install Documents5.

11) camera/vid. good - but the software is way too simple. you want to install other apps at once.

12) 100mb limits to download app. eh? i was in an event once and i was supposed to install an app from appstore to get things done. no, i couldnt because the app was over 100mb. wtf? im not sure if it is now removed with ios10 - i truely hope so. if you have two ios devices with you, e.g. iphone and ipad cellular, you can round this restriction easily - using the hotspot.

13) ecosystem. i would rather say egosystem. i dont have any needs to hang myself or boost my ego building my life around a company. i always hear people saying how good it is to work with apple ecosystem, like starting to write something with your ipad and then continue with your laptop etc. or start writing a message with iphone and then grab ipad. who is switching devices between writing a simple message? i wonder how many times, except testing it, people actually do any real work changing between devices. atleast do any other work than reading emails with ipad. i dont, im not going to write or start writing texts with ipad. im not going to use pages with ipad to write anything - if i need pages, i take my macbook. pages in ios have no possibilities to add e.g. equations - again i need my macbook. but i still dont use pages because we use word at work, i should fix everything i write using pages to look good in word.

other than that, airplay works great. i cant say exactly the same with my android tvbox (it usually takes couple of steps), but the android tvbox also let me sharing the screen or airplaying with windows and ios. airdrop between osx and ios works easily.

14) apps? i have same apps on ios/android. both looks the same mostly. there might be some differences, depending on the developer usually, and because of restrictions with os (usually in ios).

15) crashing? both suffers. ios just doesnt tell you that while android openly let you know it. when apps crash in ios, you think that you just closed it. if you check the crashlog, it wasnt you, the app just crashed.

16) os? simple to use, but actually im not sure if the os is simple at all (it just looks simple) and i wonder if it is also the reason why the user has no real access to folders and a possibility to share files because the filesystem is a one big mess(?) e.g. your songs are put on abcd-named folders, each of them, and named same way oddly. if you have access to those folders (e.g. using ibrowse from your computer), you have to browse each of those folders and to listen them to find the specific song. and with every updates, they break something and several updates are needed to fix them.

17) ringtones? yeah, buy a bottle of wine and prepare yourself to follow the 500-steps procedure to make your own ringtone from the song you have.

what else? yeah, im probably not switching back to android phone until google does something to the privacy issues with apps. and the answer is not letting the user to toggle switches on and off, but rather demanding developers to honor peoples privacy and removing those apps that have ridiculous access which apps dont need. no, a calculator app doesnt need to know my bankaccount and ask a permission to write bills.

iphone does all i need from a phone. i can live with it. but ios generally? no, it becomes more complicated to do tasks than using simple functions with a phone.

i have ios and osx, also tvos, but also android and win. and everything just works! no problem to switch back and forth and no needs to build my life around any "ecosystems" and finally realize that i have invested so much money to it that i cant leave it and i have to live with it.

and... this was my personal experience - some other may think differently.
It looks like your assessment mirrors my experience very closely. Moving media files and documents around the phone or back and forth between the phone and computer, or sharing options IS a clunky awkward and severely limited experience. In this respect, the "it just works" motto is completely wrong.

A recent example. It seems absolutely ludicrous to me that I must use iTunes to load a bunch of movies onto my iPad. Zero other software options allowed. And then to make it worse, those movies are now only able to be read on the device by ONE app only. If I open a media player app other than the one iTunes loaded the movies into it doesn't see them even though they're clearly on the device... Somewhere...
Awful implementation of software and restrictive to a ridiculous degree.

averen09

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
Ive also used Iphone 4 4 years ago, wayback then it is by far the most stable smartphone but there are lots of limitations, now im using android one device with stock ui, and it is a great experience for me.

phonejunky

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Oh my word everyone. Let me tell you about my experience going back to Apple for a day or two. Wow, was it ever....boring. I mean the OS is amazing, the hardware is pretty nice, the call quality and media sound is incredible, camera is okay and screen is nothing special. The home screen layout with all the apps was actually very inconvenient!

I run with a Google MDM (mobile device manager) for business and I have Google Business Apps, so yes going to an iPhone maybe obviously a silly move. But I was sick of having all the drop call issues and lag issues with numerous android phones, hence why I attempted an iPhone. I had all the intentions that this would be it and I would find the phone I've been longing for but it was a really inconvenient day or two. The calendar was poor which I could never tell if it worked, sending out calendar invites. Google sheets, drive and docs are a complete joke, and apples new AirMail app was actually pretty in depth and full of features, that I would never use but others? I dunno maybe.

So there I was stuck between a rock and a hard place. Loving the podcast media side of the iPhone, Apples iMessage and notification push is crazy accurate, but it's still lacking a ton. So what they say is true, once you go Android you'll never go back.

In fact! I jumped back on my BlackBerry Priv! I used and own every premium smartphone running Android available. S6, Note 5, Note 4, HTC, etc etc. However, hands down my favourite phone is the Huawei Nexus 6P, I'm in love with it, but sooooo many bugs, sooooo many! Any who, the BlackBerry Priv seems as if it's the perfect balance between work and pleasure. The device allows me to be ultra productive at work but then also allows me to be super laid back and have fun when I get home, media wise anyway.

So the reason I thought I would just babble on within this thread was to find a place for my words and thoughts. It would be amazing if we could have some action and discuss , calmly and generously, in our experienced with different platforms and phones. So let's chat!

If you have actually made it this far, I want to thank you for reading my rants. Please cram in your views and opinions. I'm really interested in your experiences and thoughts!

Love, peace and chicken grease!

I switched back to iPhone for the same reasons you did work. However I'm in love with the switch. I've loved the speed of the notifications. I've also fell in love with iMessage and the iPhone network. Everyone that I work with uses one which makes communicating and using work related apps much easier. Every time someone shows up to the management team with an Android it's always a little bit of a hassle to get them online with the rest of us. It's not a major problem but then you always notice they go out and just get an iPhone as well lol. I still love Android and all the phones they put out however Apple has ended up being my go to platform for work and pleasure.

bnice

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
It's funny how some try to blame another os. Maybe just maybe it's Apple locking you into their system by making it difficult to cross platforms.

phonejunky

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
It's funny how some try to blame another os. Maybe just maybe it's Apple locking you into their system by making it difficult to cross platforms.

How are they locking you in to there system. Speaking for myself I still use all my google apps. The same exact ones I used on Android. With the exception of iMessage. With many Android users have longed for a similar message system like it.

bnice

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
let's take iMessage since you mentioned it. You have to have a Apple device plus a caller ID. It's not a cell carrier service. Also I've have never wanted or long for iMessage, with Android I have options.

phonejunky

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
let's take iMessage since you mentioned it. You have to have a Apple device plus a caller ID. It's not a cell carrier service. Also I've have never wanted or long for iMessage, with Android I have options.

I’m not talking about what YOU want. I’m talking about Android users as a whole. Why do you think they introduced Allo. Just because lol. No there was demand for a similar service to iMessage. However they completely dropped the ball on that service. I was using a Galaxy when Allo came out. I was so pumped for it. As were many of my friends. Then we realized it wasn’t integrated with text messaging and totally ruined it for us. Yes there are many people like yourself but you’re not the only person speaking for Android users.

bnice

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
You claim many Android users long for iMessage, But believe it or not just as many do not care. That was my point. All the other stuff you talking about is off topic. So let's leave it alone. Since you missed my point for Apple trying to lock users into their os.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante