Android Market Update? (Question on How to)

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know how to update the Android Market - specifically, I'm looking for a newer version (with new format) that will work in portrait mode and (gasp) has access to Google Music?

Jack

mdye

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
This does work, but only sort of. It installs and gives the latest Market, but doesn't actually replace the original app - so you end up with 2 icons till you reboot and the new icon goes away. I've seen this with every 3rd party apk file I've tried. I wonder if it's not because my Tab's Market file is com.google.android.finsky and the new app is com.android.vending? That could be way off - but so far I've not heard of any good solution to getting the latest Market on this tablet. :-(

ToddPsyD

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
no doubt, I'm not sure why google wouldnt update the market for tabs given that this might theorietically improve sales for music, etc....

mdye

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Honestly I think it has to be Samsung's doing, which is maybe why the app name is different. I could be ring, but it seems skinned to me. Of course that's speculation as no one ever talks about it (outside of this thread, of course). It seems criminal (and more than a bit frustrating) that so few have noticed the Market has not been updated once and that a big potential source of revenue (music sales, Google's new big product) is unavailable through the native market app (you can, of course, go to the website.) Maybe this is so people will be corralled towards Samsung's music store instead? I guess this is what we get for not buying stock :-\

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Honestly I think it has to be Samsung's doing, which is maybe why the app name is different. I could be ring, but it seems skinned to me. Of course that's speculation as no one ever talks about it (outside of this thread, of course). It seems criminal (and more than a bit frustrating) that so few have noticed the Market has not been updated once and that a big potential source of revenue (music sales, Google's new big product) is unavailable through the native market app (you can, of course, go to the website.) Maybe this is so people will be corralled towards Samsung's music store instead? I guess this is what we get for not buying stock :-\

On my grandpas transformer it updated but i cany seem to get the one for this tab to work.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

ToddPsyD

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I see the Acer Ionia tab just got an update with an updated market. Any way to pull the apk from there? Or would we get same issue...?

vlbaston

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
This does work, but only sort of. It installs and gives the latest Market, but doesn't actually replace the original app - so you end up with 2 icons till you reboot and the new icon goes away. I've seen this with every 3rd party apk file I've tried. I wonder if it's not because my Tab's Market file is com.google.android.finsky and the new app is com.android.vending? That could be way off - but so far I've not heard of any good solution to getting the latest Market on this tablet. :-(

Different for me, I do have the two market icons but evertime I restart both of mine come back, and also when I get and app update, the latest market version (installed one) acts as the default and start first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oldersod