Android (Nokia G10) - Switches from UK English to Chinese

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hi,

On the "Home screen" of my phone, when i restart, the day and month (Monday/July) are shown in English.....after a period of time these switch to, i think, Chinese.

The Google Weather app, although knowing my location, also displays everything in, i think, Chinese.

The "Google" app as well shows a mixture of news articles etc, most of which are in, you guessed it, i think Chinese.

I've checked ALL settings - phone's menus etc are in UK English. Search language is in UK English, Search Region is UK.

Please help....I'm fairly technical but this is my first Android phone and i've no idea how to resolve it.

Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Where did you buy the phone from? If it was intended for the Chinese market, the firmware might be defaulting to Chinese.

Does this persist in Safe Mode as well? The steps here ought to work for your phone as well: https://www.hardreset.info/devices/nokia/nokia-31/safe-mode/

Please register on this forum, which will allow you to engage in discussion more easily, as well as post images. https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community.html

axum

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
Yes, brand new.
No, not using a VPN. I was using Developer Mode but have turned that off now as well, just in case.
I'm in safe mode, the weather app still displays chinese....the main clock display is still UK (but these usually works OK for a bit and then changes).
Thanks for the help so far!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When you first got the phone, did you have to go through the whole Setup Wizard, or did it immediately boot to the homescreen? If the latter, try doing a factory reset through the system settings and set the phone up again.

axum

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
Yes, had to go through the whole setup wizard. I will try a factory reset in a while.....here are some pics :

Here's what i mean by the date going weird....but it currently still says Monday, 19 Jul, but after a time it changes to this
BAE01BE6-F839-45C2-B5CE-7EF1F9310828.jpg

This is what i see when i open the "Google" app.....it looks like it's pulling back the right stories based on my location, but the text, as you can see, is i think Chinese :
C125E18A-2197-46FA-A3DA-DB0B25CCC539.jpg

And if i open the Google weather app, this is what i see (again, location is correct-ish) :
E38CE0F0-BDBD-4DB4-BB9B-10AF939D643F.jpg
and...
93CAE195-4840-4C9E-B37C-6E5E0943104C.jpg