Android Pay!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Like other comments say, you won't find a store that explicitly says Samsung Pay accepted, because Samsung Pay works with any magnetic stripe reader terminal and even NFC ones (like the ones that take Android Pay or Apple Pay). The only place it doesn't work is in slide-in readers like ATMs or gas pumps.

I have been able to use Android pay no problem but wasn't able to find anywhere that accept Samsung pay. Can you tell me a few known place that I accept Samsung pay? Any pharmacy, supermarket or franchise convenient store at least?

Posted via the Android Central App

Erm10

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
DO you have to have NFC turned on for Samsung pay to work? I am confused because reading the FAQ it says that it uses NFC and MST(?) so if NFC is off will it still work?

Darrkman

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
DO you have to have NFC turned on for Samsung pay to work? I am confused because reading the FAQ it says that it uses NFC and MST(?) so if NFC is off will it still work?
Samsung Pay will automatically turn on your NFC when you start it.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

You don't need NFC turned on as, like Darrkman says, Samsung Pay will turn it on and off automatically. When you prompt Samsung Pay to open, it will ask you for either your fingerprint or a PIN to start the payment window. This is when Samsung Pay activates both NFC and MST since it doesn't know which kind of terminal you're trying to pay at. When this window is over either by completing a transaction or if no transaction was made within that time, it will turn off MST and NFC (the latter will turn off only if you had it off to begin with, if not, it will remain on).

stump24

May 4, 2015
Visit site
question for anyone who has used both. Do you have to open an app to use either? I was under the impression that one you just unlock your phone and hold it up. The other requires you to bring it up first then pay?

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
question for anyone who has used both. Do you have to open an app to use either? I was under the impression that one you just unlock your phone and hold it up. The other requires you to bring it up first then pay?

You can actually use samsung pay without unlocking your phone. Just swipe up from the black screen

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I still sit here waiting for the day android pay or Samsung pay come to Canada..

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You are correct. Android Pay doesn't nee to be active to pay as long as your phone is unlocked and NFC is active (and the setting to make Android Pay the default option in Tap To Pay in your NFC Settings for your phone).

Samsung Pay does 'open' the app to pay, but you can enable the Tap to Pay option for that as well (it'll just bring up the Samsung Pay app first and ask for your PIN/Fingerprint). With Samsung Pay you can enable the option to have a quick access from your lockscreen (or homescreen or on top of apps, but I don't like those) and then you just swipe up from the bottom of the screen, select the card you want to pay with, and authenticate.

The one thing I don't like about Android Pay is that you can only select one default card (obviously) and that's what it'll use to pay all the time. I like having the ability to choose which of my cards to use when I pay, and to change that, you need to set a different default card first and then pay. With Samsung Pay you select your card while paying. Just like that implementation better.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I still sit here waiting for the day android pay or Samsung pay come to Canada..

According to Samsung, their service will start rolling out internationally in Q1 2016. Wouldn't be surprised if Canada is in the initial list.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
According to Samsung, their service will start rolling out internationally in Q1 2016. Wouldn't be surprised if Canada is in the initial list.

Great news! With my luck they will affiliate with all banks but mine lol...im with one of the bigger guys so i am hoping its launched. I cant wait to use it, Apple Pay is starting to take off here slowly, kinda jealous and cant wait for the day i dont need to carry all my cards anymore.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It is really cool, and what's even better is to see how people react when you pay with your phone while they're eager to tell you 'we don't take Apple Pay yet'. And even better when an iUser asks you if they can do that with their phones :)

You can see if your bank is associated with any of the banks currently supported by Samsung Pay. If they are, then chances are you will be able to use yours as soon as it launches in Canada. For instance, Amex is almost a given. In Mexico, for example, Banamex is part of the Citi Group, so chances are that bank will be on board as soon as it launches there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
downthisroad4