Android timer malfunctions

firelinefiend

Nov 29, 2023
Visit site
My Android timer is intermittently malfunctioning. I have the S23 Ultra.

Most of the time it works, but at least twice recently when it was allegedly running fine, I went into the clock to set an unrelated alarm and was in the timer area because I'd last set that. Said timer had been set for an hour and 25 seconds, which works for what's needed, and the two times of note it was as if the timer had just been started, counting down from about the 1 hour mark. But in both cases I hadn't just set the timer, I had "restarted" it some time (over half an hour) before. In the latest iteration, it had allegedly been running for 35 minutes already. When I went to look at the thing for which the timer was needed, it was at 25 minutes to go, not an hour...huh?

I had to stop the malfunctioning timer, figure out a new alarm to set for the 25 minutes that were left, then needed to remember to return and start the 1:00:25 timer again for the subsequent hour. Which should have been completely unnecessary, as the timer should have originally been 35 minutes in, not mere seconds.

This should never happen. A timer is a timer. If it's running again via "restart," it should be counting down, not on "pause." Because there is no pause in a restart and the options offered are to turn it off ("X") or "restart." Restart simply renews the timer and starts it again. I would have had to go into the timer, press pause almost immediately, then "forget" about it for 35 minutes.

I did not forget. I never pressed pause. The first time the timer was accessed after "restart" was 35 minutes in.

Did it read 35 elapsed minutes as 35 seconds? Did it somehow tell itself to start upon someone next accessing the timer instead of when "restart" was pressed?

How is this possible? How can I trust this timer ever again, and if not, how do I find a timer app that's free and works better than the default timer?

firelinefiend

Nov 29, 2023
Visit site
The timer just malfunctioned again. Upon needing the stopwatch function, I opened the clock app and it was in the timer area - which was just starting to count down. That wasn't correct. The thing the timer had been set for was 4 seconds away from when the timer should have sounded. And this was after a "restart;" after several restarts, actually, each an hour and 25 seconds apart. It should have been about to ring, not just starting its countdown.

Since I've had this phone, it's only in the past few days that this has seemingly started happening. Unless it did it before and went unnoticed (which is possible).

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm assuming that you are using the Clock app ... have you tried clearing the app's cache and/or data? Clearing data will delete all settings (including alarms) but may help resolve issues.

Reactions: firelinefiend

firelinefiend

Nov 29, 2023
Visit site
I'm assuming that you are using the Clock app ... have you tried clearing the app's cache and/or data? Clearing data will delete all settings (including alarms) but may help resolve issues.
Thank you so much! I haven't done that; the problem would be that I have a lot of alarms, for specific things. It would take a lot of time to restore them. After accidentally deleting all alarms after a certain time once, there were not enough four letter words to cover the chore of restoring them.

Is there another way without losing the alarms, or is it better to find another timer app for the one specific function?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter