Android TV USB device "corrupted"

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

My NVIDIA Shield and TV which is running AndroidTV recognize usb drive but gives me an error "corrupt, select to fix" which only takes me to a screen showing the drive has been ejected. The drive is recognized on pc just fine.

Doesn't matter which way I format. The drive will work for a couple weeks, then one day it will give me this issue which can only be solved be a full reformatting.

Anyone else have this issue?

bclasen1

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Appreciate the quick reply.

I plug hard drive into a ANDROID TV device, it says 'drive is corrupt, click to fix' and clicking takes me to a screen which just says the device is safely ejected.

Yes, this happens periodically with both wall powered hard drives (like a WD Elements) and usb powered hard drives. It mostly happens when the hard drive is moved from being connected a PC to connect to android tv (NVIDIA SHIELD, or ANDROID TV running on a TV) but also happens when unplugging from SHIELD and plugging into TV. Safely ejecting before disconnection does not prevent the issue.
Attempted Remedies: 1. Plugging into a PC, reformatting (all formats such as exfat, fat 32 etc attempted), and plugging back into Android TV.
2. Rebooting Android TV (SHIELD and TV devices) and then plugging in hard drive.

Android just decides, at some point, that its no longer corrupted (as in, I leave the hard drive unplugged for a week out of frustration, I plug it in, and voila it works for no reason). I have seen this issue posted around reddit and other such sites, and have yet to see anyone with a theory behind the actual issues. One person suggested its windows 10 because using a windows 8 device to reformat the device fixed the issue for them but that seems odd.

Appreciate any ideas or theories.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried cleaning the Shield's USB port? Use a can of compressed air to blow it out, and a small cotton swab dipped in rubbing alcohol to clean the contacts.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Since it happens on different Android devices, and also happens with different USB drives, then I'm thinking that it's a bug with how USB drive support is implemented. You might try contacting NVIDIA support and see if they have any insight.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max mays