Android Wear 2.0 on the ZenWatch 2

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Could it be that WiFi battery life is better on 2.0? My first impression is that WiFi isn't using as much battery on my ZW2 with 2.0. Overall my battery life is definitely less than 1.5 but turning on WiFi doesn't seem to have the same negative impact that it did previously. Any thoughts?
Good to know. I might have to try WiFi again. I normally just leave it off always.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
When I first got my ZenWatch, two years ago, WiFi was a HUGE battery drain. With WiFi off I'd get 2 days of battery life. With WiFi on I'd only get about 6 hours. So I just turned it off and never turned it back on again. I wouldn't be surprised if it's gotten better since then.

mak916

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I just noticed that my WIFI was on. I turned it off now. I hope this helps with the battery life. Before 2.0 I would get about 2.5 days of battery life with "always on display" on. Now I barely make it through the day. I plan on doing a reset, unpairing, in a few days if the battery life does not get any better. Overall I like the 2.0 update!

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I just noticed that my WIFI was on. I turned it off now. I hope this helps with the battery life. Before 2.0 I would get about 2.5 days of battery life with "always on display" on. Now I barely make it through the day. I plan on doing a reset, unpairing, in a few days if the battery life does not get any better. Overall I like the 2.0 update!
What are the benefits of keeping wifi turned on anyway? Do you get more funtionality from the watch? If so I don't want to turn wifi off but if it doesn't do much in terms of watch then of course I'll turn it off.

nelson1

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
What are the benefits of keeping wifi turned on anyway? Do you get more funtionality from the watch? If so I don't want to turn wifi off but if it doesn't do much in terms of watch then of course I'll turn it off.
If you wander away from your phone and out of Bluetooth range the WiFi takes over and you still get notifications.

mak916

May 17, 2010
Visit site

So after turning off my WiFi yesterday I noticed that my battery life has improved greatly. My watch seems to be back to normal.

azjerry

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
So after turning off my WiFi yesterday I noticed that my battery life has improved greatly. My watch seems to be back to normal.

Before the upgrade I had wifi off specifically for the better battery life. I checked and found that it was on again. Turned it off and the battery life is back to where it was.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Before the upgrade I had wifi off specifically for the better battery life. I checked and found that it was on again. Turned it off and the battery life is back to where it was.
I just turned my wifi off so I shall see how my battery life goes from here forward. So without WiFi I just need to have my phone near at all times?

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
That's correct.
Thanks man. I'll just keep my phone near me. If it improves battery life that much better it's worth it. I liked having the wifi on but I don't like charging it every day. If this will skip me a day of charge it'll be worth it. Is that what you are getting a two full days without WiFi?

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
With WiFi off I was probably getting about 40 hours on a full charge. "2 days -ish"

It probably depends on how much you use it and other settings (always on, brightness, etc)

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
With WiFi off I was probably getting about 40 hours on a full charge. "2 days -ish"

It probably depends on how much you use it and other settings (always on, brightness, etc)
What do you keep your brightness on? I keep mine on four. I also have downloaded just a few apps which might be my battery issue too. I purposely didn't download the browser this time since I repaired it. I've got Pandora downloaded which I really didn't need it but thought it was cool bc I could have it on my watch. I also downloaded Google maps. Any of those if I don't use them a battery drainer?

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I'm already seeing improved battery life and I only cut off the wifi this morning. My battery has sustained at around 70 percent since then so yeah there is a huge noticeable difference in battery life. I didn't expect it to be so drastic. Wow! Thanks for the heads up on that. This is huge. No more charging every single day. Every other day is a good thing.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I used to keep my brightness on 1 and use the triple press to get a temporary boost when I need it. I might have to reevaluate that.

I also use Sleep As Android app for sleep tracking, but it's a pretty be battery drain.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I used to keep my brightness on 1 and use the triple press to get a temporary boost when I need it. I might have to reevaluate that.

I also use Sleep As Android app for sleep tracking, but it's a pretty be battery drain.
Maybe I should scale my brightness back to three or two. I just like a bright screen. Hopefully this wifi cut off will buy me another day which puts me charging every other day but it's too soon to tell fully yet. I'll give it a couple days and see how my battery holds up now.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lilc73