Android Wear Update!

g2_havok

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
no firm dates, but the fact that its coming and confirmed is exciting.

having said that - i may hold off on the update until reports come in on stability... exciting nonetheless!

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
"Always-on Screen, Always-on Apps: Now you can continuously view apps while optimizing battery life."

I am not sure how that is possible

g2_havok

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
"Always-on Screen, Always-on Apps: Now you can continuously view apps while optimizing battery life."

I am not sure how that is possible
heh... well, "optimize" doesn't necessarily mean "no usage". i suspect the algorithm is to sip as little battery as possible. but drain the battery it will nonetheless. it'll be interesting to see - for instance, what if you could keep ambient on and drain very little battery, say 0.15% more an hour?

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
heh... well, "optimize" doesn't necessarily mean "no usage". i suspect the algorithm is to sip as little battery as possible. but drain the battery it will nonetheless. it'll be interesting to see - for instance, what if you could keep ambient on and drain very little battery, say 0.15% more an hour?

Semantics indeed. Nothing drains the battery faster on the Moto 360 than the screen being on. Anything that would the screen on continuously, even with the backlight set rather low, is going to zap the battery really quickly.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Does the 360 have a Wi-Fi radio?

Yes, but I suspect that turning it on and using it will drain the battery MUCH, MUCH faster than bluetooth. And unless it automatically jumps from one to the other, having BOTH radios on all the time will be even more taxing. So I am not sure how useful the feature is going to be, in practice. I guess we wait and see.

It *is* annoying that I cannot go EVERYWHERE in my house and stay connected with bluetooth to my phone which is on the charger in the living room. I almost can.

ODog2323

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Yea, I wouldn't be too surprised if some of these cool sounding additions cripple the 360, if they come over at all. The hardware feels pretty maxed out as is.

I bet we'll see the Moto 720 pretty soon as a showcase for the new features.

AC App
Nexus 6

Last edited:

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
My android wear app just updated and adds the software for wifi support...I'm guessing we need the update on our 360 as well for it to work?

Posted via S6

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Also got the app update, I think we need the firmware to use it fully.

Nexus 6 Assassin Edition. Android Central Moderator.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
The moto 360 doesn't have built in wifi so won't work anyway will it?

Posted via the Android Central App

According to a post above it does have wi-fi, but a firmware update will be required to enable it. I'm curious how this will impact battery life myself. I can easily get through a day now, but with wifi on I'm not sure.

Edit: yes, it does have wi-fi. See Moto's official blog post about the upcoming update.

Last edited:

Byron Hinson1

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Also got the app update, I think we need the firmware to use it fully

I find it interesting that two people over two days have claimed the Wear update, and yet I don't see it. I thought system updates were the only thing that rolled out like this, but maybe they do it with certain key apps too, to prevent disaster if something is very bad...

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I find it interesting that two people over two days have claimed the Wear update, and yet I don't see it. I thought system updates were the only thing that rolled out like this, but maybe they do it with certain key apps too, to prevent disaster if something is very bad...

To make sure we're talking about the same thing, I mean the android wear app on my phone.

2015-04-21.jpg

Apps are rolled out in waves as well, but it's generally much faster than OTA firmware updates. It follows a similar pattern of staggering approx 1%, approx 3%, approx 10%, etc with the floodgates opening within a day or two of the major release.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
To make sure we're talking about the same thing, I mean the android wear app on my phone.

Apps are rolled out in waves as well, but it's generally much faster than OTA firmware updates. It follows a similar pattern of staggering approx 1%, approx 3%, approx 10%, etc with the floodgates opening within a day or two of the major release.

Yep, the wear app on phone. Just I am just in wait mode like most people :) Thanks for the info

g2_havok

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
against my better judgement, i upgraded android wear. my battery life on the 360 was at about 85% 2.5 hours off charger, and the watch battery life indicated 1 day and 3 hours left.

after upgrading android wear, i unchecked tracking with google fit and cloud wifi, reconnected to the 360 and immediately my watch started to get hot. now, the battery life indicated is set to 14 hours. android wear also crashed once ("unforturnately, android wear has stopped" message) so rebooted the watch, cleared cache on phone and rebooted the phone. battery life on the watch is still indicating 14 hours instead of over 24...

g2_havok

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
after a few days of use, looks like my watch's battery life has stablized again. my watch was off charger for 14 hours yesterday, getting steady texts and email notifications throughout the day. i sent new texts and responded to several via the watch. all told, i had 56% battery left when i put it on the charger at around 11pm last night.

today, i turned on tilt-to-wake (along with ambient it was turned off from day one) so we'll see how battery life is affected.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois